The Daftest Red Card of the season

Chic Charnley is bound to have at least one ordering off to his name that involves choke-slamming the referee, diving into the crowd to square-go an auld man, chasing someone with a bladed weapon, or the CID arriving on the pitch to attempt an arrest.

Petr Grant's red against Rangers in 1991 was priceless for stuidity.

If I recall correctly, he gave away a needless free kick outside the Celtic box and got a yellow, then subsequently charged down the direct free kick.  He was about 5 yards away when the shot was taken.

Result was  a second yellow (and 2-0 to Celtic).

ETA..

Hurlock (utter nutjob), Walters (great player but dirty git) and Hateley (great player but a complete arsehole) all saw red that day too.  Hately blowing kisses to the Celtic faithful was sublime.

For a neutral, it was a fantastic game.

Edited by Loonytoons

Probably about 15-20 years ago Motherwell were playing out a turgid midweek nil nil draw at kilmarnock when our goalie Francois Dubordeau came out to collect a long ball that bounced through to him late on in the game. Having caught the ball about head height, he then elbowed the oncoming Kilmarnock player in the head, getting sent off and conceding a penalty in the process. We lost 1-0 from the penalty.

Wiki has him done as being a fans' favourite for a performance against Rangers but that's my abiding memory of him.

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Probably about 15-20 years ago Motherwell were playing out a turgid midweek nil nil draw at kilmarnock when our goalie Francois Dubordeau came out to collect a long ball that bounced through to him late on in the game. Having caught the ball about head height, he then elbowed the oncoming Kilmarnock player in the head, getting sent off and conceding a penalty in the process. We lost 1-0 from the penalty.

Wiki has him done as being a fans' favourite for a performance against Rangers but that's my abiding memory of him.

This is still, and I think it always will be, the single worst game I have ever been at. 

56 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Petr Grant's red against Rangers in 1991 was priceless for stuidity.

If I recall correctly, he gave away a needless free kick outside the Celtic box and got a yellow, then subsequently charged down the direct free kick.  He was about 5 yards away when the shot was taken.

Result was  a second yellow (and 2-0 to Celtic).

ETA..

Hurlock (utter nutjob), Walters (great player but dirty git) and Hateley (great player but a complete arsehole) all saw red that day too.  Hately blowing kisses to the Celtic faithful was sublime.

For a neutral, it was a fantastic game.

The reason i still watch OF games is I live in hope of a repeat of this. 

Can't remember of it was Neilsen or Pressley but  Hearts on the attack deep in the United half after clearing from a corner and whoever it was sucker punches a United player back in the Hearts box seen by the linesman. Straight red card and penalty to United converted.

Might have been same game Michael Stewart sent off for a heads gone at his own support but there is a few of them to choose from.

ETA it was Zaliukas http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7165323.stm 

Edited by invergowrie arab

Don't know if it was the daftest red card but was certainly the funniest, in our promotion play off semi final against Dundee Utd, seeing Willo Flood completely losing it for pushing Shaun Byrne to the ground to try and take a quick free kick, getting a red card, pushes Nicky Cadden and then gets pushed by Lee Miller, stops and comes back as if he's going to square go him, then walks away, losing it some more as he's going off the pitch he pushes the camera man.

It completed a fantastic night coming back from 2-1 down to win 3-2 at Tannadice.

See the source image

See the source image

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Can't remember of it was Neilsen or Pressley but  Hearts on the attack deep in the United half after clearing from a corner and whoever it was sucker punches a United player back in the Hearts box seen by the linesman. Straight red card and penalty to United converted.

Might have been same game Michael Stewart sent off for a heads gone at his own support but there is a few of them to choose from.

ETA it was Zaliukas http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7165323.stm 

Reading that reminded me of the ludicrousy of the SPL refusing our request for the the game to be postponed following the death of Phil O’Donnell but allowing Celtic to postpone  their game against Rangers.

13 hours ago, Austinho said:

Hand down the worst I’ve seen was Dean Shiels in the Edinburgh Derby (3 minutes 20 secs on the clip). 2-0 down to Hearts and he scores a penalty to make it 2-2 with 30 minutes left. Clotheslines the keeper on his way to retrieving the ball from the net and gets a straight red. Killed all momentum and ended up losing. Idiot. 

To be fair the keeper was Craig Gordon who has history when it comes to clattering into opposition players (anywhere on the pitch) and getting away with it. Divine retribution.

6 minutes ago, stressball said:

He was also injured in the process.

This is what puts Jones into the upper echelons for me. Fucking your own knee ligaments while getting sent off for a pointless foul is a magnificent effort.

Windass losing his shit against us was the other one that immediately came to mind, along with Robbie Neilson inexplicably giving Samaras a forearm smash in a game where we were in control, only to subsequently lose 4-0.

16 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

St Mirren's Kristian Dennis's needless foul on Peter Haring was the stupidest red card I've seen since Peter Haring utterly moronic challenge  in the 94th minute against Dundee in March having come on  in  the  89th minute

Such is the level of bampottery in the Scottish game that it is unlikely to even make the shortlist by the end of the season but it's set  the standard for other idiots to beat

Hopefully by the end of the season we'll have a catalogue of demented shithousery and either a clear winner or candidates for a poll

I suggest that the award should be named after Jamie Hamill who  celebrated a  goal against Ross County by Decking opposition manager Derek Adams in what  is  possibly  the daftest dismissal of the century but readers may have  stronger candidates

Hi Sir, 

Could you please change the subject title to 'daft red cards' or something as everyone, including myself, seem to have ignored the 'this season' part. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

Hi Sir, 

Could you please change the subject title to 'daft red cards' or something as everyone, including myself, seem to have ignored the 'this season' part. 

It seems to have become "Which fucking idiot will we name the daftest red card of the season award after?"

I'm OK with that tbh.

Chic Charnley is bound to have at least one ordering off to his name that involves choke-slamming the referee, diving into the crowd to square-go an auld man, chasing someone with a bladed weapon, or the CID arriving on the pitch to attempt an arrest.
Charnley was sent off against Saints on New Year's Day 1997 for punching one of his own players (might have been Robbie Raeside) who he deemed responsible for our sixth goal. We won 7-2.

Billy Abercrombie has to be up there. Possibly the only player to be sent off 3 times in one game? Him and Stevie Kirk clashed at a game at Love Street and both were red carded. Kirk departed but Aber didn't. After a shouting match with the ref he was red-carded a second time. But he still refused to go and continued to voice his displeasure. Got a 3rd red card before he eventually left the field. And a 12 match ban.

Anybody else see some of these things and think.... Hong Kong betting syndicate?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28134241

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/8-suspects-identified-in-dons-europa-league-match-fixing-probe/

Aberdeen playing Daugava Riga in the first round of the Europa League Qualifiers in 2015. Two reds were shown to the Latvians and about 10 yellows. The just started jumping into tackles once they knew the game was lost.