What’s the craziest decision your club has ever made?

• 1 year later...

Going full-time shortly after turning pro, having no plan for a stadium which would match the ambitions of full-time football, building a training ground for the Scotland national teams and then renting back a stadium we previously sold at a pittance. During this time, we were almost promoted to the top flight by accident, having finished bottom of League Two less than a decade earlier.

18 minutes ago, AuAl said:

There's plenty (some may say countless) if you go further back in time. A more recent one however has to be David Bangala on a 2 year deal.

Must have the same agent as Ali Dia.

I am convinced that he is not even a footballer.

More a series of crazy decisions (including the constitutional one, which I don't think I can lay at the club's door in fairness), but:

A group of German investors buying us to act as a feeder club for young Pan-European talent that we can develop to sell on shortly before Brexit makes it virtually impossible to sign anyone not from the UK or Ireland. Consequently said investors decide to change tack by hiring John Hughes and allowing him to sign Efe Ambrose, who goes on o be sent off in a relegation decider vs a team who had finished 4th in the league below. 

37 minutes ago, an86 said:

Going full-time shortly after turning pro, having no plan for a stadium which would match the ambitions of full-time football, building a training ground for the Scotland national teams and then renting back a stadium we previously sold at a pittance. During this time, we were almost promoted to the top flight by accident, having finished bottom of League Two less than a decade earlier.

Building/extending what would have been a perfectly viable stand then demolishing it to replace it with a viewing platform for 40 people. Has that been mentioned already? 

Just now, Northsea80 said:

Building/extending what would have been a perfectly viable stand then demolishing it to replace it with a viewing platform for 40 people. Has that been mentioned already? 

It feels like this thread has been resurrected almost entirely for our benefit.

thank you

20 minutes ago, par-adise said:

More a series of crazy decisions (including the constitutional one, which I don't think I can lay at the club's door in fairness), but:

A group of German investors buying us to act as a feeder club for young Pan-European talent that we can develop to sell on shortly before Brexit makes it virtually impossible to sign anyone not from the UK or Ireland. Consequently said investors decide to change tack by hiring John Hughes and allowing him to sign Efe Ambrose, who goes on o be sent off in a relegation decider vs a team who had finished 4th in the league below. 

What ever happened to the promise of the training facility down in Rosyth? I saw the land had been bought but did they ever start it?

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

What ever happened to the promise of the training facility down in Rosyth? I saw the land had been bought but did they ever start it?

I think there have been some planning issues, but permission was granted recently. It was hoped to have been in use by now but the club have gone pretty quiet on it so I'm not really sure what's going on. 

Would be interested to hear examples of what, on the face of it, seemed utterly crazy but actually turned out to be inspired. 

For example signing Faissal El-Bakhtaoui, a young Moroccan futsal player from St Tropez who had never played 11 a side football before. Looks skillful but generally hopeless. Then goes on to score a absolute barrow load of goals in a L1 winning season and gets a (relatively) big money move to Dundee. Admittedly there is a bit of a downward trajectory since then but will forever be a cult hero at EEP. 

41 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The academy players train on the grass pitches but due to weather the first team have been training elsewhere on a 4G.

The 4G pitch for the training facility was approved last week, there was a lot of planning hold ups, issues with drainage, however it all looks to have been given the green light. With planning approved, hopefully work will recommence shortly and we might get in it this season.

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

Would be interested to hear examples of what, on the face of it, seemed utterly crazy but actually turned out to be inspired.

Deciding that what would get Ayr's promotion campaign back on track in January was hiring an already balding 27-year-old from junior football whose preferred Saturday afternoon activity prior to that was going to Parkhead.

Hiring a manager who had been out of the game for several years after a long struggle with a gambling addiction.

Said manager bringing in a failed Premiership youth player that couldn't attract interest in even the second tier after over three years out on loan.

14 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Deciding that what would get Ayr's promotion campaign back on track in January was hiring an already balding 27-year-old from junior football whose preferred Saturday afternoon activity prior to that was going to Parkhead.

Hiring a manager who had been out of the game for several years after a long struggle with a gambling addiction.

Said manager bringing in a failed Premiership youth player that couldn't attract interest in even the second tier after over three years out on loan.

I'd like to add to this said manager signing the previously permanently injured Jamie Adams from Wigtown and Bladnoch. The definition of inspired.