What’s the craziest decision your club has ever made?

Potentially knocking back Murrays money in the 80's. He basically wanted the club for nothing and was going to loan it money and "be ambitious" His time at Rangers showed he was in football for the long game and could have maybe built something at Ayr. It is easy to say now it would be a car crash but who knows. We knocked back one of the most successful football chairmen of the recent Scottish history. Who knows how it would have gone. The Barr era was the same as Murrays era at Rangers but on a much smaller scale, spent a fortune and stuffed the club with a tax bill. 

which we paid. 

Probably not the craziest thing Accies have done but certainly something odd that this thread has made me think of.

We signed Tomas Cerny from Sigma after a loan spell for, what still is, a club record fee of around £180k. Cerny was a great keeper for us and is still held in high regard, arguably the best keeper we've had, between him and McGovern for me. I don't know the full story but he then had some sort of disagreement with the club and his contract was cancelled which is a very peculiar situation for an asset that we'd invested a lot of money in and, at the time, could have sold on for a fee.

Kenny Cameron gets a lot of credit for being chairman at the time we won the Scottish Cup and came third but literally every decision made after that was a complete disaster

Appointing Foran as manager, who showed little interest in coaching/managing when he was coming into the end of his career, giving him a fucking 5 year deal then not bothering to sack him when it was obvious to everyone he was taking us down. Some of the contracts given out to players were absolutely crazy. The Mulraney one as mentioned and I think Warren had a similar type deal as well.

1 hour ago, Gregor147 said:

Claude Anelka

44 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Claude fucking Anelka. By a country mile 

This, we win this thing end of. No other club has done anything so utterly fucking reckless in living memory.  

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Falling out with Alex Ferguson.

Oops, sorry, I’m in the wrong forum. Still, what a great decision that was. I’ll leave now… which may or may not have been Fergie’s final words in Paisley.

That was a long time ago, and let's be honest, Ferguson would never have had the resources at Love Street to do what he did at Aberdeen.

You turned Riyad Mahrez down in the last decade for f**k's sake.

41 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Potentially knocking back Murrays money in the 80's. He basically wanted the club for nothing and was going to loan it money and "be ambitious" His time at Rangers showed he was in football for the long game and could have maybe built something at Ayr. It is easy to say now it would be a car crash but who knows. We knocked back one of the most successful football chairmen of the recent Scottish history. Who knows how it would have gone. The Barr era was the same as Murrays era at Rangers but on a much smaller scale, spent a fortune and stuffed the club with a tax bill. 

which we paid. 

Had that gone through then today there really only would be one team in Ayrshire. And this is not intended as a compliment.

Edited by Thumper

The terracing thing will always annoy me. Not just for the general look of the stadium, but when we won promotion and had the novelty of playing top flight clubs again the stadium would have felt brilliant against the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United with four stands at least over half full. As it is, we're probably stuck with what we have until we relocate to some 5k capacity legoland midden in Scotstoun. 

Selling Liam Lindsay for about £300k in 2017 was one of our diddiest decisions in recent years and arguably led directly to our relegation. For all that is made out about >£100k payments - whether from transfers or whoring out most of your stadium to the Old Firm - being too big to turn down for any Scottish clubs outside the top 6, it didn't prevent a double relegation and the loss of income that comes with that. 

Related to this cravenness for additional income regardless of cost was our ground share with 'Glasgow Warriors'. A genuine game of football was impossible such was the effect on the surface and I chucked most of the 2011/12 season as it was just unwatchable. 

Hiring Gary Caldwell was obviously a woeful decision, but I think we eventually punted him at the right time for that period to be looked back on as just a bit of a laugh, rather than any permanent damage being done to the club. 

A tragedy in 3 acts:

1) Overspending in the 90s, leaving the club in the shit financially and vulnerable to shysters. 

2) Allowing a shyster to "invest" in the club and take control of the entire team, making a predictable c**t of it. This is undoubtedly the worst decision any club in Scotland has ever made. 

3) Loaning our best player to a team 4 points adrift of us in the league when we were in a relegation fight. I am convinced Locke's aversion to Vaughan was solely on the basis he's a Hibs fan. 

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

Letting Colin McGowan get involved with the club.

I can't believe he ended up at another club after the mess he left with us. 

He threatened to sell the stadium for flats of the fans didn't stop saying nasty things about him online. :lol:

39 minutes ago, standman said:

Wasting thousands on benching the Wee Dublin End when if any improvement was needed , a roof was surely the priority.

Also, spending that money instead of investing in the team was criminal.

Wut

The Raes did buy a roof from the spoon-burners but didn't bother putting it up. Benching of the WDE was a basic condition of getting the stadium anywhere near the criteria for the top flight, back in 2012/13, when we had a capable team to do so and were spending more than enough on the first team squad anyway. 

If we didn't add the benches then we wouldn't have been able to use the WDE at the end of last or beginning of this season either. It'd probably have been condemned altogether by now. 

GMFC has been more of a low-level, constant omnishambles rather than having some great and inexplicable lurch into incompetence. Douglas Rae signing Marc rather than Mark McCulloch and so landing us with a total fucking haddy from Arbroath is symptomatic of the way the club has been run on a daily basis for the past twenty years.

27 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

The terracing thing will always annoy me. Not just for the general look of the stadium, but when we won promotion and had the novelty of playing top flight clubs again the stadium would have felt brilliant against the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United with four stands at least over half full. As it is, we're probably stuck with what we have until we relocate to some 5k capacity legoland midden in Scotstoun. 

Selling Liam Lindsay for about £300k in 2017 was one of our diddiest decisions in recent years and arguably led directly to our relegation. For all that is made out about >£100k payments - whether from transfers or whoring out most of your stadium to the Old Firm - being too big to turn down for any Scottish clubs outside the top 6, it didn't prevent a double relegation and the loss of income that comes with that. 

Related to this cravenness for additional income regardless of cost was our ground share with 'Glasgow Warriors'. A genuine game of football was impossible such was the effect on the surface and I chucked most of the 2011/12 season as it was just unwatchable. 

Hiring Gary Caldwell was obviously a woeful decision, but I think we eventually punted him at the right time for that period to be looked back on as just a bit of a laugh, rather than any permanent damage being done to the club. 

I'd need to double check but from memory the groundshare with Warriors started out ok; the pitch held up remarkably well considering how much use it was getting for rugby + football, but it was because the Scottish RFU were paying for the groundsman and any of the equipment/materials needed to keep it in good nick. I think after the first season that part of the arrangement stopped, after which the pitch did indeed start chopping up and became a bit of a tattie field.