Clyde vs Alloa

WHAT A RESULT!

After a boring first half, I thought we played good. Definitely better than the past few weeks!

Mo Gomis had an unreal game, was everywhere and won every tackle. Splaine aswell shit housing and giving Xavi a run for his money with his passing. Goodwillie chosing to turn it on this game aswell was great to see, back to making goals out of nothing. Hopefully Adam Livingstone isn't away for too long.

Postive way to head on to the Falkirk game next week!

Also did anyone notice the new face warming up today aswell?

well that was awful , what a mess .. sammon is worse than done , he was as good as an extra defender for clyde 

on another note 

what does hitler  and clyde FC have in common 

Answers on a postcard to ....

Well that was fucking awful. Ferguson's signings with the exception of possibly Howie and Boyd (not based on today's performance), and Niang  look dreadful. 

Our best players Graham, Taggart and Scougal are all players he has inherited. 

I do think some fans might have an agenda with Ferguson, I personally couldn't give a toss who he played for but his start as Alloa manager has been terrible and unless he can get in a new left back and a couple of fast mobile strikers we will be fighting relegation. 

In the end you'd have to say that a sensibly strong team and conservative set-up in addition to some terrific bits of individual quality won us what was a very closely fought match. Cunningham's cross and Goodwillie's positioning for the opener were magnificent. And we saw in the winning goal a glimpse of the quality that's long been dormant in David Goodwillie. It was a throwback to the equaliser he scored against Elgin on his home debut for Clyde four years ago; decisive, composed and seemingly against the odds. Without his niggling hamstring problem and in a team which can supply him with opportunities to run at defenders he's doing that every second week. Let's hope his injury lets up.

I would echo what Waspie wrote about Alloa. They're a team in the making just as we are. The shape and the system they ran with until we scored are clearly unfamiliar to their players and some players are clearly playing in roles that they're not their strongest in. Of course, Alloa made some sensible changes once they went a goal down. But you'd have to say that if they've not got enough in the tank to put a couple past a team with as lethargic a midfield and defence as we do then they have something to worry about. For my money, I think Alloa missed Trouten or even a fit Mark Lamont. Scougall, in combination with those two, would probably have caused us a lot more problems, playing between our lines. I think if Alloa want to beat us in future they'd have more luck playing two up. Rumsby and Elsden weren't up against the busiest player in Sammon and will almost always fare better against a forward whose only challenge is a physical one as opposed to a leg race or a marking challenge.

But it was just what the doctor ordered for us after the midweek horror show. In Elsden, albeit he's had little to do so far, there's the prospect of us having signed a centre back who resembles a centre back. The same goes for Munro as a right-back. And in the shape and system we've now played against both Alloa and Montrose, there's some hope that at least we won't be pushovers. I wouldn't go straight from today's result to optimism however. We're still a chronically slow side outside of Ross Cunningham and Barry Cuddihy. And we'll be very vulnerable to sides like Falkirk and Queen's Park who can set a mean tempo and have decent pace and midfield menace in their sides.

Depending on how robust Falkirk's midfield is, we should probably keep the same team for next week. With Nicoll, we matched the physical challenge Alloa brought today. Perhaps if Falkirk are less about that then we bring Cuddihy back in. That'd improve our possession I expect.

Edited by Clydeside
Typos

20 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

well that was awful , what a mess .. sammon is worse than done , he was as good as an extra defender for clyde 

on another note 

they only have one Ball .... the red dots were uncalled for you sensitive clyde types Unlike the alloa team who don't seem to have any at  all .

Edited by Vegetableman

Huge improvement from last home game. Players all worked hard and therefore made up for their obvious limitations. 
I actually thought the CH pair were really comfortable, Rumsby handled Sammon with little problem, yes I realise Sammon is poor, but he is a handful just in terms of his bulk.

Goodie, what can you say, pretty quiet first half but second he seemed to either waken up or gain a bit of confidence when he began to get some change from their back four. His goals were top drawer.

Gomis was great today, proper midfield player, Splain also looks a player, wee bit nconsistent at times but has ability and a bit of dig.

Again, as said before it’s frustrating that a couple more player in key positions could turn us into decent side.

Interesting that fat Tory gimp Mike Mulraney has gone from a making a generally successful number of managerial appointments to picking a gobshite buffoon like Peter Grant and then the obvious booby prize of 'Rain-jurs legend Barry Ferguson' in succession. Seems like the overarching strategy of just picking the biggest name candidate has finally run out of luck. 

With Stenhousemuir having played last night, I took in this fixture today. The first half was largely dull but the second was a good laugh, with David Goodwillie scoring two world-class goals to give Clyde the victory. I thought a draw would have been the fairest result, particularly when Alloa Atheltic spent a good 10 minutes or so pushing for the winner, but Goodwillie's supremely individualistic second was sublime. I don't think anyone in the ground realised the striker had scored until he ran off celebrating; I think we'd all thought he'd smashed it into the side netting. All in all, in was an enormous three points for Danny Lennon, especially when put into context alongside Wednesday night's embarrassment at Broomhill.

For a long time I've thought Clyde are "David Goodwillie and 10 other cunts" and I didn't really see anything here to change my mind, despite a couple of decent performances here and there. Goodwillie was miles ahead of anything on the pitch, on either team, and his movement and use of the ball is so good (I'm sure Clyde fans don't need me to tell them that). Scott Rumsby did well at centre-back, Kevin Nicoll was his usual spoiling self in the middle of the park and Ross Cunningham showed up well from time to time. His cross in for Goodwillie to bullet in the opener was glorious.

I can't say I thought all that much of Alloa. Barry Ferguson's 3-4-2-1 formation did not work and I don't understand why he persisted with Fernandy Mendy and Conor Sammon. Mendy was turned inside out by Goodwillie on at least three occasions (you could see the striker pulling onto him every time Clyde broke forward) and he shanked the ball out of play under no pressure a couple of times. Alloa looked far better after his substitution and the change in formation. As for Sammon, well, you try to watch him and look at the attributes that led to Wigan Athletic paying around £600,000 to sign him. He's a big boy and he's quite quick off the mark, but other than that? I just don't see it. There was one moment when he failed to control a simple pass into his feet, which led to his manager scream: "FUCKING HELL, SAMBO" at him. It's all elementary now but they would have been better off keeping Robert Thomson because he's far more useful than Sammon.

Stefan Scougall had some nice touches in the second half and took his goal well (although David Mitchell appeared to get two hands on it before it kissed the post and crept in), Jon Robertson should start every week and the boy Cammy O'Donnell has a bit about him. I'd be a little concerned about Ferguson's ideas for this team because for long periods today, it didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

52 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

on another note 

Both had big wins in 1939

32 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

I would echo what Waspie wrote about Alloa. They're a team in the making just as we are. The shape and the system they ran with until we scored are clearly unfamiliar to their players and some players are clearly playing in roles that they're not their strongest in. Of course, Alloa made some sensible changes once they went a goal down. But you'd have to say that if they've not got enough in the tank to put a couple past a team with as lethargic a midfield and defence as we do then they have something to worry about. 

Being a team in the making would be acceptable if we were starting from scratch and if we felt we were making progress. However, Ferguson inherited a good nucleus that just needed the right signings to complement what we had rather than a drastic rebuild. And I haven't seen much evidence so far either that there is a clear plan on where we are going. For all the abuse of Sammon, that looks like a classic example of a player being signed without a clear idea of how we were going to use him. Why did we go to France for Mendy when we're playing a better CB in midfield? And when we punted another better bet in his position out on loan to Stenny.

It is still early and the manager needs more time before he can be judged properly but he hasn't done much thus far to ease any concerns we had about him. The worry is that we are indeed a team in the making. A shite team. 

2 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Being a team in the making would be acceptable if we were starting from scratch and if we felt we were making progress. However, Ferguson inherited a good nucleus that just needed the right signings to complement what we had rather than a drastic rebuild. And I haven't seen much evidence so far either that there is a clear plan on where we are going. For all the abuse of Sammon, that looks like a classic example of a player being signed without a clear idea of how we were going to use him. Why did we go to France for Mendy when we're playing a better CB in midfield? And when we punted another better bet in his position out on loan to Stenny.

It is still early and the manager needs more time before he can be judged properly but he hasn't done much thus far to ease any concerns we had about him. The worry is that we are indeed a team in the making. A shite team. 

Nicky Jamieson has been largely disappointing during his short time at Stenhousemuir. He seems to be making at least one big mistake in each match - last night, he mishit a clearance, fell over, and allowed Edinburgh City's striker in to score the only goal of the game. I expected a lot better, in all honesty.

Would still pick him over Mendy, right enough!

Delighted or maybe it's relieved with 3 points.  Don't know how deserved it was...

I hope DGW is injured rather than disinterested.  We are so slow that it's almost funny. Thought the new CH looked composed.  There has to be something wrong if we still need to depend on Kev Nic in midfield. Barry Ferguson is out his depth already. Did we really show up with 1 only match ball?  I like our new tradition of taking to the field at 3.03. Did I mention the Barry Ferguson is out his depth?

First half was poor from both sides

After Alloa scored I thought they looked the more likely to go on and win but when you have DGW in your side you are always in the game as he can produce magic like the 2nd goal

A step in the right direction and a battling win

Gives us something to build on

I thought we were certain to go down but hadn’t thought Barry Ferguson would be as clueless as he was when he was with us.  But clearly he still is

Thought Alloa would be easily in top half but they are the worse team we have played this year and can see them battling things out with us down the bottom

Edited by Bullyweeno1

11 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Nicky Jamieson has been largely disappointing during his short time at Stenhousemuir. He seems to be making at least one big mistake in each match - last night, he mishit a clearance, fell over, and allowed Edinburgh City's striker in to score the only goal of the game. I expected a lot better, in all honesty.

Would still pick him over Mendy, right enough!

Jamieson hasn't played regular football in a pretty long time. He had been injured latterly at QP I think and didn't get back in before the lockdown. He looked rusty initially when he then re-emerged at Alloa but pretty quickly he did show signs of the player the QP fans had talked about. But then he got dropped and only appeared sporadically in the last few months of the season. Would think he should get better with a good run of games.

I'd definitely take him over Mendy who has struggled badly so far. He might come good but with Graham, Durnan and Howie available he shouldn't be in the team. 

Indeed, Waspie, that has to be a real concern, even at this early stage. Ferguson has said a few times that he's trying to get the players to play in the way that he wants, but it's very difficult to see what that is.

33 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Edited by printer

59 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Jon Robertson should start every week 

Definitely. And he should start in centre midfield. I'll give Barry F the benefit of the doubt and assume Robbo was on the bench because he's been out injured for a few games.

4 minutes ago, printer said:

Definitely. And he should start in centre midfield. I'll give Barry F the benefit of the doubt and assume Robbo was on the bench because he's been out injured for a few games.

Or the man is as clueless as he seems.

Chocolate tea pots and fireguards springs to mind.