Clyde vs Alloa

24 minutes ago, printer said:

Indeed, Waspie, that has to be a real concern, even at this early stage. Ferguson has said a few times that he's trying to get the players to play in the way that he wants, but it's very difficult to see what that is.

He used that line for 3 year with us…

All those posts describing Barry Ferguson could all have come from Clyde fans when he was in charge here. I personally think it was a bad move by Alloa to appoint him. Same old problems ,players not being able to play his system, whatever that is, like with us he seemed to forget he was asking players to do things that are alien to them and they don’t possess the quality of the players who he played alongside during his career. Heard a lot of stories of disagreements with players simply because he doesn’t possess a very good man management style and his turnover of players was ridiculous. I don’t hold any grudges against him he tried hard to make a success of his time with us but ultimately he just doesn’t have what it takes.

I feel today was more about Alloa than Clyde. No doubting Goodwillie's brilliance but they played right into our hands and still should have left with a point.

I have no ill feeling towards BF but we won't play a side this season who are as oblivious to our failings. A back three, central quartet with a needless pair of defensive midfielders, right wing back and left winger, then Sammon. A weird asymmetric formation that didn't look to exploit the misery which has been our left side. Sammon started the game running in behind, or pulling out onto Marky Munro, then chucked that idea to just stand with his back welded to Rumsby's midriff. Then there's Mendy....one of the worst players that has played at Broadwood in some time. It was also absolutely no surprise that the first goal came from Cunningham getting space in behind Boyd to flight a cross in perfectly. I thought Howie had an excellent game but you can have Niang in there and put him back to centre half surely? You can guarantee there will be more signings in by the time we go to Recreation Park.

Clyde gave up a sloppy goal, I thought the defending was as poor as Mitchell's attempt to save, so unbelievably soft given we had been relatively untroubled prior to that. The centre halves did stand up to the challenge well in general, Elsdon had two great blocks, albeit they'll be tested more in most games. Gomis had a great second half, I thought that was Splaine's quietest game. We are still staggeringly boring to watch though and will need a lot more than just relying on Goodwillie over the coming games. Deficiencies elsewhere on the pitch cover up the fact we have nothing other than DGW and occasional flashes from Cunningham in the attacking third.  

A great three points, but that's all. 

9 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

It didn't end well though 

I recall (could be wrong ) that shawfield was hit by a luftwaffe bomb in WW2 ?

maybe there is still some bad feeling about this 

you are.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Being a team in the making would be acceptable if we were starting from scratch and if we felt we were making progress. However, Ferguson inherited a good nucleus that just needed the right signings to complement what we had rather than a drastic rebuild. And I haven't seen much evidence so far either that there is a clear plan on where we are going. For all the abuse of Sammon, that looks like a classic example of a player being signed without a clear idea of how we were going to use him. Why did we go to France for Mendy when we're playing a better CB in midfield? And when we punted another better bet in his position out on loan to Stenny.

It is still early and the manager needs more time before he can be judged properly but he hasn't done much thus far to ease any concerns we had about him. The worry is that we are indeed a team in the making. A shite team. 

Yes. I agree. I was being gracious with the 'team in the making' line if I'm honest. If Clyde were in Alloa's position I'd be asking all those questions that you have.

Something that Barry was bad for at Clyde was asking players to do jobs that they couldn't do. Even those he'd signed himself. I heard him lashing Sammon today. And asking questions of Hutton at full-time. Doesn't seem like he's changed in that respect. He still has the demeanour of a manager who's frustrated that he's managing players who're far more limited than he was as a player.

Mendy is ridiculously heavy and will sell goals against better teams. Not playing Robertson from the off struck me as odd as well. Niang and Howie will do similar jobs so I'm not sure you need them both against a mob like us. I could go on of course.

Both clubs have their issues to work out. That's for sure.

Edited by Clydeside

1 hour ago, printer said:

Indeed, Waspie, that has to be a real concern, even at this early stage. Ferguson has said a few times that he's trying to get the players to play in the way that he wants, but it's very difficult to see what that is.

This sounds very familiar to us Clyde fans!

Last week there were a lot of negatives despite the win, albeit with a couple of decent attacking moves for the goals. The hope was that we could build on the positives for this week, instead it seems that we decided to build on the negatives. One of the positives from last week was the finishing of Boyd, so I'd hoped that we'd try to get him into dangerous areas in the box this week. No, he seemed to be playing as an advanced left wing back.

In the first half in particular some of our passing was shocking, I lost count of how many easy passes we put straight out of play. Mind you, given how static we are we don't exactly make it easy to find passes.

In the end this game ended up being between 2 teams who were evenly matched for 10 of their players but Clyde top off their uninspiring 10 with an excellent striker, we top ours off with a striker for whom uninspiring would be generous praise.

I'm clinging on to the hope that Cawley and Trouten returning will strengthen us, and that we will sign a decent striker and a left back who can get closer to the performances of Taggart on the other side.

Delighted and relieved with the win today. Every player put absolutely everything into that and you could see what it meant to them at the end. Goodie does have some wee barren spells at times but generally then goes on a scoring run. Hopefully we’ll see that again. You could certainly see the lift the first goal gave him and his second was magnificent. 
I had thought Alloa would have offered a lot more than they did. Wee Barry working his magic already. No doubt the next time we play them they’ll have a whole new team as he bins the current lot. Always the players fault if things aren’t going well. 

The only enjoyable parts of today’s game were the whole Alloa side trying to keep Mendy in position and failing badly. The second was sitting behind the dugout watching Barrie and Malcolm trying not to bite every time at an  away fans gave him a bit of stick, closely followed by Hutton’s petulant outbursts in first half. 

Goodwillie was the main difference between two fairly poor teams. I still don’t understand why Hutton stayed rooted to his line and was still beaten at the near post for the second goal.

Just to add my bit on Barry, for no other reason other than it’s there to be said; today was classic Ferguson.. over complicated system with players who were unable to carry out the “system”. As the game went on the Barry crouch started, then it all kicks off. Shouting at the players, moaning, berating everyone, then throwing on the subs.

As said previously I actually think he tries incredibly hard but has such an intimidating attitude the players, like most of ours were, are terrified to make a mistake and / or terrified of him! Guys like Allan Trouten for example will never play for him. He had similar experience with Bomber Brown so I expect he will “leave” pretty soon.

Barry’s other issue; is the complete clueless idiot he has as assistant, if he had a proper coach then maybe, just maybe he would get his ideas across, or at the very least have someone who could moderate his faults and issues.

I genuinely feel sorry for Alloa support, very strange appointment 

I'm certain that we'll be fighting  a relegation battle again,this is seriously worrying.Ferguson has destroyed the team with poor signings and so called tactics.I think some of our stalwarts will leave in January.Mike is actually the man at fault here,he picked Ferguson,and didn't even interview anyone else.Our days of choosing a good manager seam very far off.Sammon,Mendy,King,Church,the list goes on.Meanwhile Robbo's only good enough to warm the bench,Parry it would seem,not even good enough for that.This is already a disaster and utterly embarrassing.If Ferguson gets ten league games in charge we'll be bottom of the league given the way results are going.As i've already said i bought my season ticket,but i won't be using it,and in fact i may hand it back,they can keep the cash.It's the only way i feel i can get my point across as to my feelings on how poorly thought out this whole sorry mess has been.I've supported the club for over forty years,through good and bad.However this must be the quickest we've dropped in quality for years.

14 hours ago, Waspie said:

Why did we go to France for Mendy when we're playing a better CB in midfield? 

This is exactly what I was saying to my mate on the way down the road. Why is BF playing his best CH in midfield when there is an absolute donkey at the back in Mendy ? Although I wouldn't blame Mendy for any of the goals, there's no doubt we targeted him as an extremely weak link at the back.

However this is exactly the kind of thing BF has done in the past. I've nothing personally against the guy (as unlike Bomber, Chapman etc, he definitely did care), but football wise he ain't got a clue.

Appears both teams have their fair share of issues !

Edited by macclyde+

9 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Just to add my bit on Barry, for no other reason other than it’s there to be said; today was classic Ferguson.. over complicated system with players who were unable to carry out the “system”. As the game went on the Barry crouch started, then it all kicks off. Shouting at the players, moaning, berating everyone, then throwing on the subs.

As said previously I actually think he tries incredibly hard but has such an intimidating attitude the players, like most of ours were, are terrified to make a mistake and / or terrified of him! Guys like Allan Trouten for example will never play for him. He had similar experience with Bomber Brown so I expect he will “leave” pretty soon.

Barry’s other issue; is the complete clueless idiot he has as assistant, if he had a proper coach then maybe, just maybe he would get his ideas across, or at the very least have someone who could moderate his faults and issues.

I genuinely feel sorry for Alloa support, very strange appointment 

Does Allan Trouten pick and choose what manager he plays for ? Is it an attitude thing ?

8 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

What a great image after the first goal:

Reveal hidden contents

116936430_Huttonbody.thumb.jpg.bc9898412f131ac06fbd969f9f7d9b84.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

1360474433_HuttonHead.jpg.8da2c3ea3b698671aadacb2f34a72543.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

E8xq1sLXMAEM4i3.jpg.47afc60b0f4b2fdb912ab186dd402055.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2063566564_Letscastaliveactionversionstaringthese4characters_048d4fa97834f3edc819b9a44e3763fc.thumb.jpg.52c967bd05c16b9016068c0a70cd6891.jpg

Trying to leave allegiances aside, it is a great picture that tells a story.  Also, RIP Kennedy’s sock.😳