Airdrie v Falkirk 14th August 2021

I think yesterday's one was being done live, but only to overseas subscribers. Possibly the clubs have agreed that the home one will always get the broadcasting rights, though that's speculation on my part. 

Home clubs own the UK rights to their home games this season. Each club owns their own overseas rights (as they always have done) so both clubs can broadcast to overseas subscribers.

I streamed the game on DTV and for what you pay is a rip off, I think its more expensive than Falkirk and there was zero pre game interviews or punditry, same at half time, just a load of adverts for half an hour then listening to Alan Gow whisper into the mic for 5 minutes for the build up. The commentary wasn't awful but f**k me, he seemed puzzled and thought Airdrie were all over us but couldn't understand that we had more shots on target and 60% possession. Clearly watching a different game as they offered nothing in the first half and only for a period before Sheerin changed it, didn't feel like they would ever score a second. The last 5 minutes injury time did seem to go on forever though. Massive result in a game we would have lost previously. Fans were brilliant and looked like Sheerin went over to show his appreciation. Nobody better piss on my parade but dare I say it im actually buzzin with this team so far. 

For the second week running, I don’t think we got out of the game what we deserved.

Credit, of course, needs to go to Falkirk for the way they defended when they went down to 10 men, but I think we certainly deserved something from the game with the possession we had and the way we hemmed them in - it’s just so frustrating that we squandered so many good opportunities.

Ironically, I would say that we probably played as well as (if not better than) we have done in the past 3 seasons against Falkirk, yet came away with nothing when we were maybe lucky to do so in some of the previous encounters.

I also have to disagree with this notion of us playing route 1 hoof-ball - yes, we played long but they were pinpoint passes that were designed to expose Falkirk’s weaknesses in the full-back area and it worked a treat.

All in, there was nothing yesterday to change my views on the season as a whole - we’ll both be in the top 5 come May. In what position though is anyone’s guess - going to be very tight between ourselves, Cove, Montrose and QP.

23 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Thought it was a strange game and neither team looked particularly good. Interesting to see McCann clearly identified as the person to attack after he was United's POTY last season. I'm assuming it was due to him being relatively short rather than a lack of ability

United lack quality in the middle. Add Kyle Turner to that side today and they'd be decent. Would imagine they'll be top half of the league come the end of the season.

I thought your analysis on Falkirk was quite coherent , and I know I might be rising to the bait, but McCann did not play for "United"  and I think he was just the Young POTY last season.  I suppose it's better than being called Clydebank after all these years so consider me hooked on your line. 

4 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

For the second week running, I don’t think we got out of the game what we deserved.

Credit, of course, needs to go to Falkirk for the way they defended when they went down to 10 men, but I think we certainly deserved something from the game with the possession we had and the way we hemmed them in - it’s just so frustrating that we squandered so many good opportunities.

Ironically, I would say that we probably played as well as (if not better than) we have done in the past 3 seasons against Falkirk, yet came away with nothing when we were maybe lucky to do so in some of the previous encounters.

I also have to disagree with this notion of us playing route 1 hoof-ball - yes, we played long but they were pinpoint passes that were designed to expose Falkirk’s weaknesses in the full-back area and it worked a treat.

All in, there was nothing yesterday to change my views on the season as a whole - we’ll both be in the top 5 come May. In what position though is anyone’s guess - going to be very tight between ourselves, Cove, Montrose and QP.

It took till the second half for you to have a shot on target. Going by the first 45 I think we'd have seen the game out quite comfortably if hetherington hadn't been silly and we stayed with 11 men as mutch hadn't had a save to make and that was with miller and hall both playing and a guy making his league debut.. You won't play against us with a weaker back 4 again this season.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

On 14/08/2021 at 21:18, BountyBairn said:

Couldn’t make it today and didn’t want to pay for livestream. First game I passed on in ages, what’s the script with away league highlights? Do FFC TV get a copy and post up or just the home team? If so where do airdrie out there’s? I could only see older stuff on YouTube and nothing on main site that I could see. 

by all accounts sounds like a fair result, have been really pleased with all our other games so good to keep it going against a side who finished above us last year and will be top half again. I’d be raging if we couldn’t turn over a ten man team with a whole half but if we were camped in that can be really hard to break down. 

Falkirk tv were in the opposite stand with their cameras and it made the Keena goal even better than Airdrie tv.

I didn't mind Airdrie tv on Saturday, they obviously have ditched robot cameras so that helped the case from last year. The robot cameras, the cutting out at critical moments and horrendous view with last season's effort may have put people off but have to say commentary was decent with very little own club bias throughout. I don't mind own club bias at all as I've always said that you only have to look at the product name. The £15 tag for ppv is quite high but it's probably that price to entice more to the game.

As for the game, we would've dropped at least 2pts last season in that game. We seem to have actual tactics and a style of play, as for Airdrie they pressed hard in the early parts in both halves but ran out of ideas in the final third. 

13 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It took till the second half for you to have a shot on target. Going by the first 45 I think we'd have seen the game out quite comfortably if hetherington hadn't been silly and we stayed with 11 men as mutch hadn't had a save to make and that was with miller and hall both playing and a guy making his league debut.. You won't play against us with a weaker back 4 again this season.

You’re correct - we didn’t force Mutch into a save in the first half, but we had a number of good opportunities where, if our forwards had made contact with the ball properly, they’d have been on target, if not in the back of the net. 

The difference on Saturday was how ruthless you were in front of goal - we had 16 shots (4 on target), whereas Falkirk had 4 (all 4 on target). We may not play against a weaker Falkirk defence this season, but you won’t play against a more wasteful Airdrie frontline again this season…I hope!

Like I say, Falkirk were just more efficient on Saturday. We had more of the ball, worked it well and got ourselves into better positions more frequently, which while it didn’t get us the result we were after on Saturday, is encouraging for the season ahead for me.

2 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

You’re correct - we didn’t force Mutch into a save in the first half, but we had a number of good opportunities where, if our forwards had made contact with the ball properly, they’d have been on target, if not in the back of the net. 

The difference on Saturday was how ruthless you were in front of goal - we had 16 shots (4 on target), whereas Falkirk had 4 (all 4 on target). We may not play against a weaker Falkirk defence this season, but you won’t play against a more wasteful Airdrie frontline again this season…I hope!

Like I say, Falkirk were just more efficient on Saturday. We had more of the ball, worked it well and got ourselves into better positions more frequently, which while it didn’t get us the result we were after on Saturday, is encouraging for the season ahead for me.

You had more of the ball cause we had a man sent off. The possession at half time was 62% Falkirk.