Jump to content

Airdrie v Falkirk 14th August 2021


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

 Quite a lot of familiar names from last season in Falkirk squad or am I just missing out the new ones? I think Wilson scored for Dumbarton against us at this stage last season?

It's actually been quite a turnaround.

Without injuries to McKay and Williamson our only starters from last year's squad would be Mutch, Dixon, Telfer, Morrison and Keena. And given Keena was injured for the majority of the season (only started 8 games) to even include him is a bit of a stretch.

Dixon and Telfer also got injured towards the end which undoubtedly contributed to our complete capitulation last year, including the last game at Airdrie (2-0) so only Mutch and Morrison played any part in that. 

Hopefully this game is the only time against Airdrie this season we have to start Miller and Hall, who should have also been punted in the Summer with the rest of the dross below. The list isn't exactly up to date with our two newest signings still missing but you get the idea:

379421125_ScreenShot2021-08-11at12_31_11.thumb.png.e70ccb2a5b0375bb0672c946c236aa65.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2021 at 08:32, She who dares gins said:

It depends what Airdrie turns up/or if we shoot ourselves in the foot again. Not even gonna hazard a guess. 

Although Airdrie have owned us in the 3rd division, I don't think you have pulled us apart in a real dominating sense, it's always generally been by the odd goal or so 

Airdrie as far I have seen have been very jeckyll and Hyde, very capable of beating any team in the league but equally same applies to losing.

I still feel Cove might have fared better against Morton because of the above.

On the game, pity it's not Broomfield

On 10/08/2021 at 12:08, FFC 1876 said:

Would be as well as just ripping up his contract now and allowing him to go get games in the lowland league. I'd imagine we're still trying to bring in another striker given nobody's taken the number 9 jersey yet. 

Does number 9 jersey really mean something nowadays ?

We are playing one up top, we have 4 strikers now, I really will be surprised to see one come in unless one goes out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

It's actually been quite a turnaround.

Without injuries to McKay and Williamson our only starters from last year's squad would be Mutch, Dixon, Telfer, Morrison and Keena. And given Keena was injured for the majority of the season (only started 8 games) to even include him is a bit of a stretch.

Dixon and Telfer also got injured towards the end which undoubtedly contributed to our complete capitulation last year, including the last game at Airdrie (2-0) so only Mutch and Morrison played any part in that. 

Hopefully this game is the only time against Airdrie this season we have to start Miller and Hall, who should have also been punted in the Summer with the rest of the dross below. The list isn't exactly up to date with our two newest signings still missing but you get the idea:

379421125_ScreenShot2021-08-11at12_31_11.thumb.png.e70ccb2a5b0375bb0672c946c236aa65.png

Thanks for the update and I do recognise many of the incomers. I love the idea that there's a player in Scotland called McKenzie Lemon. Your additions look much better than ours so I will stick to my hopes of a draw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MrDust said:

 

Does number 9 jersey really mean something nowadays ?

We are playing one up top, we have 4 strikers now, I really will be surprised to see one come in unless one goes out

There was a question a repeat of theChase the other day, which asked who the top scoring No 9 was in the EPL, and if I remember right the answer was Shearer. My good lady who has little interest in football then asked why the centre forward was usually No 9. Half an hour later I was still rambling on about full backs/half backs -inside forwards/outside right-left and then the marvellous No 9 at centre forward. She had gone off to do something more sensible but I did like those days of 1-11 rather than squad numbers/strikers/holding midfielders etc. I can remember my puzzle when European teams in the 60s seemed to play their No 5 at Left back etc but I think the CF still was No 9? As to this weeks game I would settle for the Diamonds scoring at least one goal by anyone.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

 the centre forward was usually No 9.  and then the marvellous No 9 at centre forward. .

Davie Marshall, Drew Busby!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rio 2 said:

Davie Marshall, Drew Busby!!!

For Airdrie yes . I think it tended to move between players in later decades or maybe it's my memory going missing. I did have Alan Lawrence as a favourite but I guess he did not always wear the No 9. I think Owen Coyle might have been No 10?  Would need to check who wore the No 9 more regularly since 2002 before we went over to squad numbers, but I did like to see the main striker wearing No 9. Joe Jordan wearing it for Scotland also a highlight. Nostalgia yet again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

I love this fixture, and it’s been good to us over the last 2 years. But I’m conscious that this could be the one Falkirk finally get their revenge. Hope I’m wrong though!

Pretty much how I feel too. I (somewhat) optimistically predicted a draw in the other thread but can't say I'm very confident going into this. I was fairly impressed with Falkirk's business over the summer, they definitely lack a striker and I'm not convinced by them defensively yet but McCann, Nesbitt, Hetherington, Williamson and McGuffie are all good signings. Most importantly, Sheerin seems like a pretty big upgrade on the PE teachers from last season and McKinnon too. 

While a draw wouldn't be the end of the world, we could really do with a win here. The Montrose game was abysmal and while we played really well up until the sending off at Dumbarton, the combined heads gone and performance after that was a bit concerning. Murray does tend to get a result when you least expect him to though, often against Falkirk, so that bodes well. I remember being convinced that we'd lose the game at Falkirk last season only for us to shitfest our way to a 1-0, I'd happily take the same again on Saturday. 

If Kerr is fit I'd probably bring him back in with Watson moving out to right back, if not McDonald seems the obvious option to start in place of Wardrop. Although they did well on Saturday I'm not sure how a midfield three of Easton, Frizzell and McCabe will cope against a better team. I'd be tempted to bring McDonald in there for Frizzell if he's not needed at full-back, which would hopefully give Easton a bit more freedom to get forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Have Airdrie fans got any advice for places to park on Saturday?

I'm not over exaggerating when I say it took 800 million years to get out after the game last time

It was chaotic that time given a big crowd at the away end where I was. It was not much better at the home end as  it piles up getting out on Craigneuk Ave at the home end, Away fans would be helped if two lanes were used to exit the Petersburn Rd end where if you go left you can get away much quicker through the scheme . Or get there a wee bit early and park in the housing areas near the park where legal/sensible. I suspect the club will make the away end for away fans only so that might help. Hope you leave early like the Motherwell fans when we go 2 up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2021 at 11:45, ilostmyself said:

 

I'd go for that too, interesting looking at the starting 11 and subs, I can't see Wilson or potentially Dowds even making the bench for most of our games when most are fit, especially if we get another loan or two in. Makes the Wilson signing even more baffling.

Still no guarantee that ompreon will be any better than either of them too to be honest time will tell I suppose.  I can only presume our trialist strikers play in their trials against a centrehalf pairing of miller and hall .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Sheerin seems fairly certain that Ompreon will be an asset he looks very raw to me though and he really needs to work on not getting caught offside. 

That's where Sheerin and Grainger's coaching comes in. Of course there are a few who are writing him off without giving him a chance as well as the big Albanian who, IMO, is class and will be a great player in time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

That's where Sheerin and Grainger's coaching comes in. Of course there are a few who are writing him off without giving him a chance as well as the big Albanian who, IMO, is class and will be a great player in time.

I'm not writing him off, and he already looks better than Wilson. Aye I was impressed with Krasniqui, always looked to receive the ball and was quite assured in possession. Keeps it simple but can pick a pass too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/08/2021 at 21:04, Chapelhall chap said:

For Airdrie yes . I think it tended to move between players in later decades or maybe it's my memory going missing. I did have Alan Lawrence as a favourite but I guess he did not always wear the No 9. I think Owen Coyle might have been No 10?  Would need to check who wore the No 9 more regularly since 2002 before we went over to squad numbers, but I did like to see the main striker wearing No 9. Joe Jordan wearing it for Scotland also a highlight. Nostalgia yet again.

Going back a few years was  Kenny MacDonald or Dave McCabe not a no. 9 for Airdrie. Or Andy Smith? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Going back a few years was  Kenny MacDonald or Dave McCabe not a no. 9 for Airdrie. Or Andy Smith? 

Dave "The whippet " McCabe -yes . Kenny McDonald -probably and big Andy most times.  The No 9 still has a powerful label over the other positions-how about the Hungarian team in the 1953 defeat of England where the No 9 dropped back ( Hideguti?)- or the false 9?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Going back a few years was  Kenny MacDonald or Dave McCabe not a no. 9 for Airdrie. Or Andy Smith? 

Was gutted back in the day we didn't sign Kenny MacDonald....but he prove he was a flash in the pan striker and paying 85k was not the best idea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...