Airdrie v Falkirk 14th August 2021

Midfield looks strong, up front there’s not enough of a goal threat, but defence seems to be the weakest element of the side. While it would be great to have both the front line and the defence sorted, fixing either one should be enough to keep us on track.

I reckon that defensively, we are likely to have all we are going get, but once McKay gets up to speed, we should be fine (with Krasniqi as a bit of a wild card).

That number 9 shirt should be the final piece of the jigsaw. A 0-2 would be great, but if we win the game, your 1-2 is more likely. 

Assuming R Williamson and McKay are still out I'd go with the same team as Saturday. It isn't ideal as Miller and Hall really stick out as the weak links, but at least they shouldn't be out for long

Mutch

Miller Hall Dixon McCann

Telfer Hetherington
Morrison Nesbitt McGuffie

Keena

Subs: Martin, C Williamson, Krasniqi, Ross, Weekes, Dowds, Ompreon

2-1 Falkirk (Morrison and Keena), Airdrie inevitably scoring form a set piece or long throw 

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:
Assuming R Williamson and McKay are still out I'd go with the same team as Saturday. It isn't ideal as Miller and Hall really stick out as the weak links, but at least they shouldn't be out for long

Mutch

Miller Hall Dixon McCann

Telfer Hetherington

Keena

2-1 Falkirk (Morrison and Keena), Airdrie inevitably scoring form a set piece or long throw 

I'd go for that too, interesting looking at the starting 11 and subs, I can't see Wilson or potentially Dowds even making the bench for most of our games when most are fit, especially if we get another loan or two in. Makes the Wilson signing even more baffling.

Edited by ilostmyself

21 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:
38 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Mutch

Miller Hall Dixon McCann

Telfer Hetherington

Keena

I'd go for that too, interesting looking at the starting 11 and subs, I can't see Wilson or potentially Dowds even making the bench for most of our games when most are fit, especially if we get another loan or two in. Makes the Wilson signing even more baffling.

Would be as well as just ripping up his contract now and allowing him to go get games in the lowland league. I'd imagine we're still trying to bring in another striker given nobody's taken the number 9 jersey yet. 

26 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I dropped him in favour of Krasniqi, as you say having 3 strikers on the bench is pointless when we play the system we are

It really is becoming a Falkirk tradition to sign at least 1 striker a season that is utterly ganting.

We've managed Jamie Wilson, Akeel Francis, Denny Johnstone & Dennon Lewis in each of the last four years.

Honourable mentions to Markus Haber, Dylan Mackin and Dan Turner as well. Appallingly bad recruitment. 

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I dropped him in favour of Krasniqi, as you say having 3 strikers on the bench is pointless when we play the system we are

It really is becoming a Falkirk tradition to sign at least 1 striker a season that is utterly ganting.

We've managed Jamie Wilson, Akeel Francis, Denny Johnstone & Dennon Lewis in each of the last four years.

Honourable mentions to Markus Haber, Dylan Mackin and Dan Turner as well. Appallingly bad recruitment. 

Housty had Rory Boulding and Taylor Morgan, too. 🤢

Can’t call this one. Airdrie’s record against Falkirk recently is excellent. It’s about the one game Ian Murray manages well and if he can get the best out of the team in this one there’s no reason we can’t pick up a result. But Falkirk seem at the very least a more competent side than they were last season. And, even taking into account the laws of average, Falkirk have to beat us eventually. I’d also still never back us to win at home. That being said, I feel this is a bit of a must win fixture already. 1/6 points is a bad return and 1 or 2/9 would see us struggling already IMO. 

I suspect the tactic for this game will be stick Gabby McGill on Leon McCann’s side and launch balls up to his dome. If it works we’ll probably get a result. If not, we’ll run out of ideas after 20 minutes and lose. 

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Would be as well as just ripping up his contract now and allowing him to go get games in the lowland league. I'd imagine we're still trying to bring in another striker given nobody's taken the number 9 jersey yet. 

Pretty sure Sheerin and co like Wilson more than Dowds.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Pretty sure Sheerin and co like Wilson more than Dowds.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case given he was signed when it looked like we'd have Dowds as the only option upfront. A panic signing. Be interesting to see though who starts against East Kilbride as that'll most likely give us more of an idea who he fancies and who he doesn't.

If we get another loan striker in then I think Dowds goes on loan till January at least. Wilson won't be going anywhere soon and neither will Sammy or Keena. Either way I think the best Wilson can hope for is he's still with us past the January window. 

I have gone for a 1-1 draw but have no clue as to how we might do it. There does seem to be an edge over the last few games where our squad gets a win despite much of the better football from Falkirk, and clearly I would like to see that continue. Quite a lot of familiar names from last season in Falkirk squad or am I just missing out the new ones? I think Wilson scored for Dumbarton against us at this stage last season?  Ian Murray to get another yellow card.

16 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I have gone for a 1-1 draw but have no clue as to how we might do it. There does seem to be an edge over the last few games where our squad gets a win despite much of the better football from Falkirk, and clearly I would like to see that continue. Quite a lot of familiar names from last season in Falkirk squad or am I just missing out the new ones? I think Wilson scored for Dumbarton against us at this stage last season?  Ian Murray to get another yellow card.

Only! Morrison, Mutch, Hall, Miller, Telfer, Dixon, Dowds, Keena, really from last year, Ompreon, Nesbitt, McCann, McKay, Mcguffie, Wilson,  Ryan Williamson, Krasniqui, Hetherington, Weekes, C Williamson, Lemon,  Ross, Martin, new additions this season with  Luke Holt and Sneddon going out on loan.