I realise it's only Monday, but I make no apologies for starting a match thread...despite being a fan of the away side.

I'd have honestly expected a fan of the big-spending, Club on the rise, Spiders to have been quicker on this web :blink:

After a marvellous comeback from 2-0 down on Saturday, Farrell's lads look to press on at the summit of League 1.

I'd like to see Geggan & McKee (if fully fit) start, Ramsbottom between the sticks too & Callum Wilson looks decent.

Good folks of either team, please feel free to discuss yer sides' prospects for this upcoming clash between 2 of Scotland's oldest Clubs. 

Edited by Silverton End

I was nine-years-old the last time we played Queen's Park in a league match. We've done a smashing job of avoiding each other over the years given we've been promoted twice and relegated once since then.

Edit: A wee look one Sons Archive tells me a certain Paul Paton was playing that day too!

Edited by Jan Vojáček

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was nine-years-old the last time we played Queen's Park in a league match. We've done a smashing job of avoiding each other over the years given we've been promoted twice and relegated once since then.

With it being at Firhill at least we won't be stuck in an obscure below sea-level part of Hampden, unable to see the far goalmouth, as Andy Geggan pings an 89th minute free kick winner, into the postage stamp :P

Edited by Silverton End

Looking forward to this one, really hoping we continue with the team that played the 2nd half against cove. It was clear that Murray was a lot more effective with someone around him and if mchugh continues to play in the same manner as he did from Saturday then we’ll have a good chance of winning.

Again, we just need to get the ball to Liam brown on every occasion, an absolutely gem of a signing so far, everything we do well comes from him. I imagine teams will begin to double up on him so will be interesting to see how Dumbarton cope with it. 

Quite a few ex QP players in the Dumbarton team. Paton, McLean, Orsi and Mcgeever. I imagine McLean will feel like having a point to prove and will be right up for Saturday with him being released by Ellis in the summer and by all accounts has had a very decent start to life at the Sons 

Having already seen Partick Thistle, Clyde and Hamilton Accies play home games at Firhill, I'm thrilled at the prospect of seeing a fourth club call a single football ground home. There can't be many grounds that can hold that distinction.

11 hours ago, microdave said:

Having already seen Partick Thistle, Clyde and Hamilton Accies play home games at Firhill, I'm thrilled at the prospect of seeing a fourth club call a single football ground home. There can't be many grounds that can hold that distinction.

Airdirie's Shyberry stadium has at least four, both Airdrie and QP playing home league games there, with Albion Rovers and East Kilbride also using it for "home" Scottish Cup ties against Celtic a few seasons back.

3 minutes ago, qpsnapper said:

Airdirie's Shyberry stadium has at least four, both Airdrie and QP playing home league games there, with Albion Rovers and East Kilbride also using it for "home" Scottish Cup ties against Celtic a few seasons back.

Motherwell played there in Europe too.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully get through the jobby cup tie tonight without any injuries. Likes of Murray, Brown and Doyle and Muir would be in the stand watching if it was down to me. We’re missing enough key players already without taking risks.

One of these weeks, we’re going to start firing and someone is going to take a sore one. Created a lot of chances in most of our games and not taken a lot of them. Excellent second half performance on Saturday, albeit against ten men. It’s a league where you can’t really have an off day and get away with it, though. Everyone can take points off each other.

Was hoping we’d maybe drop the prices for this one. First proper restriction free game, chance of a decent away support and the only game at SPFL level in the city on Saturday. 

12 hours ago, qpfc said:

Looking forward to this one, really hoping we continue with the team that played the 2nd half against cove. It was clear that Murray was a lot more effective with someone around him and if mchugh continues to play in the same manner as he did from Saturday then we’ll have a good chance of winning.

Again, we just need to get the ball to Liam brown on every occasion, an absolutely gem of a signing so far, everything we do well comes from him. I imagine teams will begin to double up on him so will be interesting to see how Dumbarton cope with it. 

Quite a few ex QP players in the Dumbarton team. Paton, McLean, Orsi and Mcgeever. I imagine McLean will feel like having a point to prove and will be right up for Saturday with him being released by Ellis in the summer and by all accounts has had a very decent start to life at the Sons 

McLean's been great. I feared we were getting a winger who hides in games but he's been a main threat for us in just about every game. Not scared to take a man on and capable of getting a goal. Add to the fact he pushed a few opposition fans to the brink on Saturday and he's ticking a lot of boxes.

For the game, if we're to take anything we need Joe McKee back. I like the front 4 we played with on Saturday but none of them are suited playing behind a striker and none of them have the quality of pass that McKee does. I'm hoping we can use the diddy cup friendly to get some minutes under the belts of Boyle, Paton and Geggan, with a view to the former starting on Saturday. Young Muir has a lot to learn before he's ready to play every week at this level and I worry that a couple more mistakes for him could be pretty damaging - QP have some real quality in wide areas too. We've managed to keep Liam Brown relatively quiet previously with a Duffyball team but he'll be a different prospect playing in this QP team to the EC one, we may well just need to stick one of our more experienced midfielders on him.

Would be nice if we added a striker before the weekend too.

52 minutes ago, qpsnapper said:

48 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Motherwell played there in Europe too.

As did QoS against Nordsjaelland.

13 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Is this pay at the gate or do we need to bother with that ticketing nonsense? 

Looking at QP's website, it seems to be the book a ticket online stuff, certainly for Queen's v Bonnyrigg tomorrow night.

I know a few older Sons fans who haven't a clue about this system of getting a ticket, no smartphone device etc & will miss out. 

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Looking at QP's website, it seems to be the book a ticket online stuff, certainly for Queen's v Bonnyrigg tomorrow night.

I know a few older Sons fans who haven't a clue about this system of getting a ticket, no smartphone device etc & will miss out. 

Was hoping it would just be pay at the gate with the rules changing yesterday. Hopefully our older fans can get assistance if required.

16 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I only noticed yesterday that this match is to be played at Firhill - great stuff and ideal for vertical drinking enthusiasts.

Hopefully a decent game as well.  

Do you have a spare connected device you could loan to an 80yr old boaayy for the day?

Thank You 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Was hoping it would just be pay at the gate with the rules changing yesterday. Hopefully our older fans can get assistance if required.

Aye it's gonna be like this all season, it's a pain in the arse for those with shite phones or without printers at home  There is nobody working the turnstiles, just a scanning machine

Just now, Mick1867 said:

Aye it's gonna be like this all season, it's a pain in the arse for those with shite phones or without printers at home  There is nobody working the turnstiles, just a scanning machine

Ah, didn't realise Thistle had gone all futuristic. I better make sure my phone is charged then!

2 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Printed tickets can be used, but don't crimp the QR code. It's a great opportunity for Dumbarton's community to help the aged with some online assistance.