Edinburgh City v Stenhousemuir

Might as well start the thread now. We look dire at the minute. Will really need to pull it out the bag to beat Stenny. They haven't had the best of starts with that squad but in my opinion this will be even tougher than our last two games. Two games in and I already feel that this is a 'must win' because of how competitive the league is this season and the players that are now plying their trade in this division. 

Tickets are now available on fanbase to both sets of fans. 

I think this game will go down a must-win fixture for Stenhousemuir too. I don't think we've looked quite as desperate as Edinburgh City but if we've got aspirations of hanging with the play-off contenders, we have to beat down-on-their-luck sides like like the Citizens. By all accounts we should have taken all three points from our match against Albion Rovers at the weekend, with some of our play in the second half looking encouraging, so we should be looking to build on that.

We've got an unappealing Challenge Cup tie with Dundee United's children's team to negotiate tomorrow night first but I reckon that match will tell us a lot about the team we'll field on Friday. Speaking after the weekend's match, Stephen Swift said the game against United gives him the opportunity to try out some of his fringe players at the expense of those who have not been perceived to pull their weight (ie, Ross Forbes). Depending on how they get on, we may or may not see some changes at Ainslie Park.

Just sorted my ticket, strange no pay at gate option but hey hoh. Should get the three points without too much hassle. The worst away game/ground in the league without doubt.

1-4 Thomson Hat trick & a Tam Orr Double

19 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Just sorted my ticket, strange no pay at gate option but hey hoh. Should get the three points without too much hassle. The worst away game/ground in the league without doubt.

1-4 Thomson Hat trick & a Tam Orr Double

We'll be back at Meadowbank soon.

Not sure why we are the worst away game though. 

By all accounts we should have taken all three points from our match against Albion Rovers at the weekend, with some of our play in the second half looking encouraging, so we should be looking to build on that…

By all accounts?? Really? Not sure about that to be honest.

Looking forward to Friday night football. I understand Edinburgh are doing this for a particular reason but I wouldn't mind seeing more Friday night football in the future from other clubs, providing the two clubs are close enough to each other and it doesn't involved camel treks.

Festival during the day, football at night and still the rest of the weekend to enjoy. What's not to like?

It's a pretty big game early in the season, if there is a loser then they have had a horrendous start to the season. Hopefully we can get the three points in the bag as the chances of getting our first win against Kelty will be slim I would imagine.

2 hours ago, Good Citizen Bad Citizen said:

We'll be back at Meadowbank soon.

Because we can't match up to the magnificent surroundings of Ochilview and it's welcoming stewards.

I have a sneaky suspicion, based on the square root of hee haw, that we might get something from this game.

I'll be in Edinburgh on Friday so may pop along to this game- never been to Ainslie Park (dubious pleasure or otherwise). Stenny were rank last time I saw them but it's BSC Gl a totally different team now settling in. Meanwhile Gary Naysmith's clownshoe "revolution" at City has more in common with Wolfie Smith than VI Lenin so far, and I can see him being put up against a wall if things don't turn for the better soon.

Still expect Stenny to be on the play off fringes at the end of the season. City I think will be nowhere near the drop despite the present teething troubles.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

15 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think this game will go down a must-win fixture for Stenhousemuir too

Third league game of the season and we are talking about "Must Win".  Although that sounds desperate I can understand why.  Every year you would look at the fixture list and say points there and points there, that one will be difficult.  However over the last few years this has been more difficult to predict, apart from Brechin, and this year especially so. Kelty have the money but apart from that there would appear to be little to pick and choose between the teams. Anyone who can put a run of 5 or 6 games together will do well. A run of 5 or 6 defeats will have alarm bells ringing.

We still have a few questions in our team that need answering. Goalkeeper, left back and one in midfield are the obvious ones, I am sure the manager will sort it out but needs to get it right soon.  There were glimmers on Saturday but as well as that there was still some silly mistakes and I am also concerned that one of out experienced defenders now appears reluctant to put a tackle in, at the vital moment, as has been shown in the last couple of games.

14 hours ago, Good Citizen Bad Citizen said:

Dont take it personally fellas

Not a quaint town (with pubs) that people might not visit otherwise

Too far from middle of Edinburgh to go by train and easily  visit ...... you guessed it, pubs, before game

By same token Stirling not much cop, clyde - there will be others

53 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Come on mate, Ainslie Park is the worst ground in the SPFL.

Correct. Lets not dress it up any other way. Ainslie Park is absolutely terrible place to watch football. The stadium is poor, the facilities (inside and out), non existent. Its shit to get to, for both sets of fans. I cant wait to be away from it.

21 minutes ago, true fan said:

Too far from middle of Edinburgh to go by train and easily  visit ...... you guessed it, pubs, before game

You'll enjoy the away day to Meadowbank then. Plenty to do round about (and on the way) and easy enough to get to from the station.

I've only ever been to Meadowbank Stadium the once (I think it was for a match between Edinburgh City and Annan Athletic and it might have been the Citizens' first win the SPFL) but it's miles better than the current situation - it's located in a decent part of town, there are plenty of places to go to around the ground, you get a good view of the game and it has a weird Soviet Bloc vibe.

I'm looking forward to seeing Edinburgh back there soon!

11 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I've only ever been to Meadowbank Stadium the once (I think it was for a match between Edinburgh City and Annan Athletic and it might have been the Citizens' first win the SPFL) but it's miles better than the current situation - it's located in a decent part of town, there are plenty of places to go to around the ground, you get a good view of the game and it has a weird Soviet Bloc vibe.

I'm looking forward to seeing Edinburgh back there soon!

Ermm... unlucky. 

Meadowbank Stadium has all been knocked down and a K-Park knock-off without the charm of the original is currently being built by the ever wise and benevolent Edinburgh Council.  I suspect sitting in it you'll miss Ainslie Park! Still, it's handy for the Artisan, Safari Lounge and the Hoppy if nothing else.

Grounds are mostly shite these days anyway. That's why I like Borough Briggs. Old fashioned terracing, hardly been touched for decades. 

46 minutes ago, FatboyFatFTS said:

You'll enjoy the away day to Meadowbank then. Plenty to do round about (and on the way) and easy enough to get to from the station.

Quick visit to my tailor, lunch in the new club, snifter at the scotch malt whisky society and on to the game - perfect saturday. 

15 hours ago, Neilly said:

Looking forward to Friday night football. I understand Edinburgh are doing this for a particular reason but I wouldn't mind seeing more Friday night football in the future from other clubs, providing the two clubs are close enough to each other and it doesn't involved camel treks.

Festival during the day, football at night and still the rest of the weekend to enjoy. What's not to like?

It's a pretty big game early in the season, if there is a loser then they have had a horrendous start to the season. Hopefully we can get the three points in the bag as the chances of getting our first win against Kelty will be slim I would imagine.

Aye, me as well. I'm a Raith man but I live in the capital. Due to work I cannae get away to games on Saturday at 3, but Friday night football I can manage. So I got myself a season ticket for the Citizens. I cannae wait for the game both teams hardly set the heather alight so far, so it should be a good contest

Edited by Duncypoo
Ma grammar is shite

Hugely intrigued by how early we'll concede the first goal on Friday, minute 3? Minute 1? Before the game? Maybe we've already conceded and it's only Tuesday.

As others have said, big game, Friday night football is an interesting concept and Ainslie Park is brutal.

Really hoping Bronsky is fit enough to play, could do with someone vaguely interested in defending being the starting line up.

After last night's win against over Dundee United B, I think we will go into Friday's game lining up with:

- Robert Thomson - Tam Orr - Darren Christie -

- James Lyon - Nat Wedderburn - Cammy Graham -

- Jon Craig - Nicky Jamieson - Sean Crighton - Ross Lyon -

- Ryan Marshall -

Euan O'Reilly might come in ahead of Graham in the middle of the park but other than that, I can't see many deviations!

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Meadowbank Stadium has all been knocked down and a K-Park knock-off without the charm of the original is currently being built by the ever wise and benevolent Edinburgh Council.  I suspect sitting in it you'll miss Ainslie Park! Still, it's handy for the Artisan, Safari Lounge and the Hoppy if nothing else.

Too true!  

Lets be honest though, the fact Meadowbank is  closer to most people's houses . and more importantly the PUB  is the big winner here!

The actual football, (For anyone that's interested!)  getting played in a shite "K-park knock-off"  doesn't seem to be of any importance!