Raith Rovers vs Dunfermline Athletic

That's disappointing - two points dropped. Saying that, if you waste chances in the first and are a clear second best for the first 30mins of the second half, this is a foreseeable outcome. 

The equaliser was bizarre for its impact on the game - Dunfermline reverted to the first half despite having been on top the whole half and suddenly we came back to life. Denied a winner by a wonder save in the end. 

In a way I'm envious of Dunfermline today. They were rotten in the first half but had options to change it up, especially with their forwards, which they did. We just lack that up front at the moment with Vaughan out, and we are pretty predictable going forward. Varian has a very tough ask as the lone frontman and I think we need a bit more up there. But when he goes off, we do lose presence up there. Not really sure what we can do to mix it up, realistically. 

That's two from four of our home games where we should've won but have ended up drawing. Saying that, we're in a decent position in the league so maybe I'm being a bit down on us.

Put Vaughan in that team and we'd be laughing. We so badly need a replacement for him because Tait is not the answer in his role...either way he's gone in January so McGlynn needs to pull his finger out and get somebody capable in. Frustrating to not win, but that save from OFW was McGurn-esk and worth points on it's own so fair play. 

Happy to keep Grant in a job for a few more weeks. 

Edited by MC_Lachlan

Really should have buried them. There were a lot of excellent performances punctuated with a 20 minute period where we let them take control. Zanatta, Varion, Spencer (miss aside) and Connolly all put in excellent shifts. The Fon-Williams save to keep out the Poplatnik header was excellent.

Our lack of a goal threat and depth up top will hinder us hugely this campaign.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

We didn't have an answer for Dunfermline pressing us a little higher with the two strikers. In hindsight, Poplatnik might've offered more if he'd come on earlier, but that could just coincide with Dunfermline getting the goal and sitting back (oddly, we're nothing if not fragile when under pressure late on). 

We should've been out of sight at half time and OFW has had to make a fantastic save to keep us out at the end, but it just highlights the lack of flexibility we've got in the squad. 

The starting eleven is very good but it's quite one-note in how we can go at teams, and the bench really just has lesser equivalent of who's already out there. 

I said it about Thistle on Saturday with regards to Rudden and Graham, but if you gave the Rovers any one of Wighton, O'Hara or even Todorov we'd be a much more potent outfit. 

We lost 1-0 to Queens a few weeks back but nobody lost their mind because we did the right things and just didn't quite get it to click into place on the night. I think tonight was similar. On balance, I think you'd have to say we were the better side by a fair margin, and I'd much rather be in our position than Dunfermline's. 

My concern, though, is that it's on a bit of a knife edge. Once the loan window closes (tomorrow?) we could very easily be scuppered by an injury to Dick, Tumilty or Zanatta. We've got players who can take those slots, but none that can be anywhere near as effective, and we don't have a Plan B to switch to without them either. 

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Really should have buried them. There were a lot of excellent performances punctuated with a 20 minute period where we let them take control. Zanatta, Varion, Spencer (miss aside) and Connolly all put in excellent shifts. The Fon-Williams save to keep out the Poplatnik header was excellent.

Our lack of a goal threat and depth up top will hinder us hugely this campaign.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Agree with this, Varian tried hard but was night and day when Poplatnik came on, gave us a bit of guile as much as anything else and far better at holding the ball up.

Game pivoted on Tumilty's stupid yellow, gave himself no margin when Kennedy was running in at him.

We've a neat and tidy team, but do need another option up front.

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Connolly was utterly fantastic again. He carved out chance after chance. A Striker Mr McGlynn would’ve buried most of those chances. 

Guy behind me, for the whole game was on at Connelly every time he touched the ball "wee shite" "wee nyaff"... another was bemoaning Zanatta getting MoM, accusing him him just standing there most of the game...

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Guy behind me, for the whole game was on at Connelly every time he touched the ball "wee shite" "wee nyaff"... another was bemoaning Zanatta getting MoM, accusing him him just standing there most of the game...

Erm,. Zanatta and Connolly tried and better tried to make something work. Anybody could see that, except maybe the guy behind you. 

Pars awful first half, should have had it sewn up by half time but I've seen it so often from the Rovers over the years. Confidence buffet in the away dressing room at half time and a better showing from the Pars in the second half. Some save by OFW towards the end. Decent spectacle but disappointing result. Possibly earned Grant a stay of execution too?

A point a fair reflection on the game. We had chances but the Pars performed quite well in the second half. But there were points in the first half where we moved the ball about brilliantly, and they couldn’t cope with Zanatta out wide. Great goal again from him. 

Of course disappointing to only draw but, it is great being back at the football again.

PS the ref was shite…yet again. Where the f**k do the SFA get them from? A blind man with a whistle would have been better…

25 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

I watched a game that finished 1-1. Folk spamming a match thread saying they have no chance is tedious no matter how the game pans out mate. 

Seems like misdirected anger to me but most of the home support seemed to be raging at nothing tonight.