Raith Rovers vs Dunfermline Athletic

I thought we were the better team last night and should’ve won comfortably. Sure we weren’t great in the second half until the Pars scored but I don’t think Jamie MacDonald made a save across the 90 minutes. But we didn’t win. You could make a case for us deserving 12/12 from our home games and we have 5. That’s not bad luck.

I thought Dylan Tait had his best game since the move to Hibs was confirmed and he put in a power of work. Tumilty covers a hell of a lot of ground and was an outlet time after time but his end product was the poorest I’ve seen from him. Could’ve been sent off as well, weird first booking notwithstanding.

The Williams save is very good from a keeper that usually chucks one in against us. Disappointing. Shame Matej headed it virtually down the middle.

A few signs of fatigue showing in the second half I felt. Zanatta, Tait, Varian and Dick looked completely done. Not surprising given our schedule and unfortunately they need to go again on Saturday. It isn’t news that we need a player somewhere in the final third, at this stage I’d take a winger and free up Connolly/Fotheringham to get into the number 10 area vacated by Vaughan.

All in all, played well enough and should’ve won. But didn’t. As long as we have pretty much zero threat from anyone outside Zanatta in the first half before he tires, that’ll happen.

I'm split between being very frustrated at not winning last night to feeling a draw was probably a fair result. 

First half Dunfermline looked every bit a team bottom of the league. The space Zanatta and Dick were getting down the left side was crazy when you consider Grant was at our game against Partick and would have seen Zanatta as being our main threat. Only one team thus far have doubled up on him, QOS, and it really stifled our play and no surprises that they won that game. Great to see Zanatta add to his goal tally this season. McGlynn certainly working wonders with him when you see the reputation he has amongst his previous teams fans. Terrible miss from Spencer, he had all the time and space in the world to pick his spot and things could have looked a bit more comfortable for us going into the 2nd half. 

Dunfermline looked much better 2nd half. Passed the ball about well and had a bit of urgency in their play. It's no surprises to hear Dunfermline fans saying that was the best they had seen their team play this season. We couldn't going for most of the 2nd half and I wonder if the players thought the game was in the bag, only once Dunfermine equalised did we come back to life again. 

We've got a tidy starting 11 but not much in the way of quality that can come off the bench to change a game. It's been a touch set of fixtures as of late and the games keep coming thick and fast but this is all we've got and probably will have until January. Dunfermline I'd think aren't far off getting their first league win and whether that will get them on a better run of form is anyone's guess.

9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I live a few hundred miles away, I'm not doing that for Peter Grant. 

Alot to comment on from a few hundred miles away. Firstly the ref did not disallow the goal the linesman flagged for offside. Did you see some of the pathetic fouls given against our players when the same or worse were waved on by the ref. He booked Matthew's for Raith and the Dunfermline right back when the ref clearly didn't see the entire incident as he was running away from play. Maybe if he did then Matthew's would never have been booked as the fullback was pulling him down.

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Alot to comment on from a few hundred miles away. Firstly the ref did not disallow the goal the linesman flagged for offside. Did you see some of the pathetic fouls given against our players when the same or worse were waved on by the ref. He booked Matthew's for Raith and the Dunfermline right back when the ref clearly didn't see the entire incident as he was running away from play. Maybe if he did then Matthew's would never have been booked as the fullback was pulling him down.

The game was on the tele with the benefit of replays! Probably a better view than the "live" one behind the goal. 

The game will always have a subjective element to it. I too think Poplatnik was fouled in the build up, but Tumilty should've been sent off. His first booking was a bit of a joke one, true, but when on a yellow you can't fly into tackles like that. He got nowhere near the ball and I can't believe that wasn't a second yellow. I'd have been livid had that been the other way. 

Whilst I did think there was a foul prior to the Dunfermline goal, where on earth was the defence? I assume O'Hara should've been Bene's man, but he's miles away. 

25 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

The referee was terrible, no doubt about it, but his general ineptitude benefited us more, in my opinion  

It might have been a foul on Poplatnik in the build up to the goal, but we had more than enough time to set ourselves thereafter, and our defending was guff. 

We also got the benefit of the doubt with the Tumilty situation, and arguably with the offiside goal, so by in large, the refereeing decisions benefited Rovers. Weird anyone would claim otherwise. 

Really have nothing more to add to whatever has been mentioned, but I do think both clubs have stuff to worry about. 

Rovers squad is gossamer thin and is an injury or two away from being dreadful, and Dunfermline still have Peter Grant. 

A lot to comment on, for someone who didn’t pay any attention to the game… was Dorrans who got booked with Matthews. Thankfully, we aren’t desperate enough to play him at right back. Even at the far end, you could see the fourth official walking down the touch line to make sure he was seeing what happened and advising the ref, during that incident.

Did you see Tumilty put in a late diving challenge, when he was on a yellow? Did you see him go right through Kennedy from behind in the first few minutes? That’s two bookable offences, in addition to the time wasting he got booked for.

If you were down the other end, you might have seen the pushing/pulling from Benedictus and Berra on O’Hara and Wighton whenever we were attacking in the second half, as well as a few trips/clips of the heels when the ball was further away, to throw them off their stride. It’s the Scottish championship, we don’t have VAR. Some incidents and fouls will be missed. The referee only has the ‘benefit’ of what he can see where he is at any given time. A lot was probably missed from both teams, but that’s standard at this level. The more experienced players know how to get away with things/hide them from officials. That’s been going on for years and Berra is one of the best defenders at conning officials. Benedictus is very good at disguising fouls as well.

To criticise people for judging decisions/incidents from watching on tv (when they’ll have had replays and discussion on major incidents) because you think what you saw from your seat in the stands was clearer, is mental.

Raith completely dominated us in the first half, we were every bit lethargic and clueless as we have been all season. On another night Raith could have been 2 or 3 up. Second half we were better but I wouldn't say we controlled the second half. It was very even and apart from the Wighton offside goal and O'Hara's goal, Jamie MacDonald had very little to do. Whereas OFW pulled off that worldy save and was certainly busier.

A draw probably a fair result but they mean nothing for me until we pick up a win. I don't care who it comes against as all teams this season have proved to be difficult for us, so until we put one of them away I won't be happy with the singular point.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Make no mistake; we keep Grant for too long and there’s a very real danger we end up in League One.

Nah, you guys will be OK, far too much quality in that team to be in danger of going down. 

Considering this was the third game in a week for the side, it’s little surprise we flagged in the second half. I would certainly agree the Rovers got the better of a series of poor decisions by the referee. Arguing about if it’s Bene or Tumilty at fault for the goal is not productive, the better question is why all the late concessions this season. We may have extended PG’s tenure at EEP, much to many poster’s disgust. For a thin team, we have gotten little work for our bench.

Think a draw was a fair reflection of the game, although Rovers should have buried them in the first half. Tbh I was nervous the whole game, mainly due to Rovers' ability to gift struggling teams 3 points or collapse in the last 10, rather than anything Dunfermline done. 

The ref had a shocker but to me he only seemed to give Dunfermline more free kicks for the same fouls that he waved play on for us. Couldn't see why he had to book Tumilty for time wasting but agree he should have been booked for the tackle.

That save from Fon Williams was something else. That ball looked to be going in all the way. Those normally go right through his gloves. Have to give him some credit though. A wee lassie sitting in front of us got hit in the face from , I think, Taits shot that went past the post. It broke her glasses and cut her nose. For Williams kept coming over and asking if she was ok even when he was getting pelters from some in the crowd. Fair play to the guy.

If the Pars play like how they did at the start of the second half, for the majority of the game, then they should be fine. They need to bin Grant though, but I hope he stays.

He reminds me of Locke. Probably a nice guy but absolutely hopeless as a manager. 

Couldn't see why he had to book Tumilty for time wasting

Edwards was rushing to get the ball, so we could get on with the game and Tumilty picked the ball up and ran away with it. How can you even debate that booking? If it was the other way around and a card wasn’t shown, you’d be crying about how biased the ref was - as you seem to be doing anyway.

Fair play to the Rovers fans who are being honest with it’s their assessment of the referee’s performance. The ones making comments like this are just embarrassing though.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just watched our highlights. Kennedy’s dive is so bad 😂

He seemed to have a couple of laughable moments in our recent game against Dunfermline (I haven't watched any highlights so it maybe they weren't actually dives). I feel like teams have him largely sussed out and he gets marked by two opponents now when he gets the ball so he finds it harder to create something and therefore resorts to a bit of play acting.