Raith Rovers vs Dunfermline Athletic

9 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Was Drysdale the mentalist who posted on here and pretended to be a 14-year-old when everyone started calling him out on his pish?

Or am I thinking of a different poster?

No, Drysdale is the mentalist who can't work email.

Edited by renton

Would much prefer scoring a free-kick to win the league title than a one-off match (which we also won by a similar scoreline that season) but each to their own.

We'll get absolutely humped tomorrow, so prepare for a commemorative shirt for the night they won 6-1 at Starks, August 2021. 

Would much prefer scoring a free-kick to win the league title than a one-off match (which we also won by a similar scoreline that season) but each to their own.
We'll get absolutely humped tomorrow, so prepare for a commemorative shirt for the night they won 6-1 at Starks, August 2021. 

It’s a well known fact that you are completely unable to celebrate a trouncing over your closest rivals because over a decade ago you lost a game of more importance against them.

35 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Is this on YouTube or game still available on Iplayer?

Not sure. I recorded full match on my TV at the time and kept it so was watching that. 

Around 10 minutes worth of Raith TV highlights here: 

Edited by roverthemoon

The only disappointments with the 5-1, other than the fans not attending, was that we were unlucky not to score more. Its easily the most complete performance I've seen in that type of game. While we had won derbies before they'd always been hard fought and usually we never really played in the most attractive way.

A defeat tomorrow wipes all that out.  It's all about the games with the fans.

I’d edit that slightly and say it’s all about the here and now. I doubt it’ll be of much comfort if we get skelped 7-0 by Celtic in the League Cup QF that we beat them in the final in 94 - but by some of the logic on this thread we’re still ‘winning’ there.

Last season is gone. It was beautiful watching that 5-1 demolition and it was beautiful watching Vaughan taking the piss out of their diddy goalie in the play-offs too. But it’ll be of no comfort if we lose tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Truthfully I couldn't care less about the Derby game last season, having no fans took so much of the sting out of them. 

The Scottish Cup 3-0 game was far more annoying. 

Agree with this. I’ve never been more furious after a game than the 3-0 Cup defeat.

Neither wins or losses mattered very much last season. You could tell even most of the players were going through the motions at times.

Interestingly, re the 5-1 game, McGlynn said in a post season interview that he knew fine well we were going to run riot in that game due to having our strongest starting 11 available and how he'd set the team up having done his homework on Dunfermline. Hoping, and I'm sure he will have, he has had a similar look at them ahead of tomorrow night. But agree with much of the above - as enjoyable as it was seeing us play like that having no fans there to witness it was a pisser. 

Feared the absolute worst when seen we had a midfield 4 entirely made of the loan boys. Should probably have emptied Crawford on the back of that loss and started a proper recruitment strategy.

20 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Interestingly, re the 5-1 game, McGlynn said in a post season interview that he knew fine well we were going to run riot in that game due to having our strongest starting 11 available

A real shame that was the one and only game that 11 ever played together due to injuries.

Is the rivalry a generational thing btw? It tends to be aulder folks that get hyped for these matches in my experience. I genuinely don't get anywhere near as up for these games compared to the ones against Falkirk. Wouldn't go as far as to say I don't care, but at the same time it's very 'meh'. After the scuddings last season I was more embarrassed than anything with the anger pointed more at the board for not binning Crawford on the spot and starting a proper recruitment. 

People tend to say the Pars-Falkirk one isn't a real derby, and it isn't a derby as such, but I see it as much bigger rivalry and game than against Rovers. 

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Is the rivalry a generational thing btw? It tends to be aulder folks that get hyped for these matches in my experience. I genuinely don't get anywhere near as up for these games compared to the ones against Falkirk. Wouldn't go as far as to say I don't care, but at the same time it's very 'meh'. After the scuddings last season I was more embarrassed than anything with the anger pointed more at the board for not binning Crawford on the spot and starting a proper recruitment. 

People tend to say the Pars-Falkirk one isn't a real derby, and it isn't a derby as such, but I see it as much bigger rivalry and game than against Rovers. 

This debate has been had on here a few times. There is definitely an age related thing going on I think. Wasn’t helped by the fact we didn’t play each other for a good number of years while presumably you were regularly slugging it out with Falkirk. Always thought the ‘you’re not our real rivals’ thing fits with the ‘wee team, we don’t care’ narrative so that probably helps sustain it for some. Regardless of how folk feel, the attendance at the 2010 game probably shows that it matters for both sides. 

Can't speak for Dunfermline fans, but the Fife Derby is generally more widely recognised.  I don't think the 2011 decider would have had the same media interest, for example,  if it had been Falkirk rather than us.

23 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

This was discussed on this thread back when it first appeared a few weeks back. For me Falkirk is a real hatred between both sets of fans and the Raith games are good local rivalries that I always look forward to. If I check the scores at 5pm on a Saturday and the Pars have won and Raith and Falkirk both lost them I'm pretty happy. Saying that, I dislike Falkirk all the time and I only really dislike Raith for a day or so before the game, the 90 mins and potentially the day after depending on results and fall out. Then it fades away until the next meeting.

I wouldn't say it was older folks that get hyped for this. I'm 29 now and we've been playing Raith regularly in the league again since 2009 after nearly a decade apart, it's always been a big deal for me and my mates of a similar age. If Falkirk and Raith are in the league then that's the first two I'm looking for on the fixtures day.

Edited by JFPar
spelling

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Can't speak for Dunfermline fans, but the Fife Derby is generally more widely recognised.  I don't think the 2011 decider would have had the same media interest, for example,  if it had been Falkirk rather than us.

True. The hype around it was incredible. There was even an hour long dedicated BBC Sportsound previewing the game at the time. Can’t imagine that happening in the same way with the Pars v Falkirk

Edited by roverthemoon

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

The Scottish Cup 3-0 game was far more annoying. 

Agreed. I'd have been angry if fans were at the 5-1 game but at least Raith actually played some good football that sometimes you just have to accept that the better team won. The 3-0 game was pretty even then we just absolutely chucked it. Looking back at the players we had in that team I'm not surprised, spineless charlatans.