The Nikolay Todorov Derby - The Caley v Ayr United

On 17/08/2021 at 10:11, Hursty said:

Because I'm a football fan and therefore allowed to be reactionary, petty, knee jerky and get away with massive mood swings after one game without being questioned, I now reckon Hoppy is close to having cracked it and that we will win this 1-0.   Adeloye with the goal, from somewhere between 1 inch and 3 yards from the goal line.   Mon Ayr.  

Nah f**k it.  Hopkin oot

10 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

Ayr looked like they could’ve played another 900 minutes and not scored. Adeloye looked a threat but support to him was non existent. Genuinely looked like you were playing 8 defenders (I suppose you pretty much were?).

Our season in a nutshell

Something I noticed earlier is that we aren’t playing a back four. We’re playing what is essentially a back-three and a half. We’re playing with Carson as a right wing back and Deas playing as a left sided centre half. I hadn’t really noticed it before now but when they lined up you could see that Deas wasn’t in the proper left back position when the game kicked off.

Edited by Highland Capital

7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Something I noticed earlier is that we aren’t we’re playing a back four. We’re playing what is essentially a back-three and a half. We’re playing with Carson as a right wing back and Deas playing as a left sided centre half. I hadn’t really noticed it before now but when they lined up you could see that Deas wasn’t in the proper left back position when the game kicked off.

Deas did get forward quite a bit. But at the same time gardyne was support deep a lot, almost a lwb. It's possible the formation is going to be quite fluid.

Having a stronger left side of defense will hopefully pay off, when they have to deal with Burke next week.

I think Deas has been excellent this season. Better defensively than Harper but not a good going forward. I’d be quite worried if we are relying on our left back as an attacking option when we have Duku, Sutherland, Mckay, Walsh, Doran, Gardyne and MacGregor etc in our squad.

On 21/08/2021 at 18:02, PB1994 said:

3 games, 3 wins, 3 goals and 0 conceded.  It’s a great start to the season but I still don’t have a clue what I think about this team. I still don’t think we have played particularly well in any of the games so far, there have been small spells in each game. Massive positive is that we are still finding a way to win the game which in any of the last 3 or 4 seasons there is no way we would have won all 3 of these games.

On the positive side I’d say we clearly have a good championship squad and if it all clicks together we could possibly be challenging for the title. On the negative I still have this feeling that perhaps we are scraping these wins because we’ve got a bit lucky and the arse is going to collapse out of our defence and it will be a shambles of a season.

Killie away next week is massive and will probably decide if I think it’s going to be a good or bad season. I’m not saying we have to go and get a result, if we lose but put in a decent performance then I’d still feel we can put pressure on them at the top of the table.

Agree with this. I thought we did enough to win the other day without really getting out of second gear. Ayr were obviously setup more defensively for reasons already discussed so this was a chance for us to show what the team could do and see an authoritative performance but it wasn't too be. As you say it seems like the team is still trying to click and I sometimes wonder if Dodds is trying to put square pegs through round holes to try and fit as many players in as possible.

It's a nice problem to have having to chose between Welsh, Allardice, MacGregor etc. for the midfield positions but I wonder if perhaps Roddy would be better utilised further forward  but then that would mean Sutherland drops out which would be a bit harsh given his early season form. Perhaps we might have had more goals if a more clinical finisher like Mckay was on the pitch but easy to say with hindsight.

I get the feeling that until Dodds works out his strongest XI we will continue to see performances that are pretty hot and cold. Hopefully though, once he does, we will really get going.

Whilst it wasn't a day to remember for Ayr fans I thought their supporters were excellent on Saturday. Decent number of them and they gave their side good backing throughout the game. Fair play to them.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Honestly, just f**k off Sean McGinty. A complete and utter carthorse who’s taken an unsurprisingly minimal amount of time to cost us points with his incompetence. Genuinely don’t think he’s League 1 standard.

I think I actually feel bad for him, it’s so obvious he isn’t good enough but Hopkin obviously wasn’t able to see it. I’ve only seen him on about five occasions and knew at the moment he signed that he was awful. It was the great left foot stuff that baffled me, as all I remembered from him was sliced clearances and instances like at the weekend.

I can see it now though, if he is under no pressure whatsoever he can play a decent arrowed ball with his left foot, however under any sort of pressure he folds. 

As I reflected upon my match day experience and despite a home win that was thoroughly deserved, I couldn't help but feel that something was missing.

It's only from this distance I realise that I was hankering after a more comprehensive delivery from our voluble master of ceremonies. Mr A Bannerman was noticably restrained as compared to previous days and nothing would make me happier than to hear much more of his mellifluous tones next time around.

On 24/08/2021 at 11:48, TheScarf said:

I take it Walsh has been credited with the goal now, given it was him who scored?

It must have been 3-0 as the scorers I have seen in press are Walsh , McGinty OG and announced at stadium Duko