The Nikolay Todorov Derby - The Caley v Ayr United

Nikolay Todorov's 2 former clubs, The Caley and Ayr United, go to head to head in the next league fixture ( I know Ayr have a game before this but we don't).  We have 2 wins from 2 in the league and have played really well, stark contrast to our joke of a League Cup campaign.  Ayr were outplayed by Killie in their opening fixture but fought back to salvage a draw with Arbroath on Saturday, having been 2-0 down.  I have no idea what to expect from Ayr.  If The Caley keep the ball on the deck we can carve every team in this league open with ease.  Therefore, 

I have a bad feeling about this.  2-0 Ayr United.

You are aware of our record against Inversneckie? Especially up there??? Also Hoppyball doesn't seem to work too well as evidenced in the first half against Arbroath. Think this is a home win 2-0, only because we have a sound defence. Otherwise ICT could run riot.

Nikolay Todorov's 2 former clubs, The Caley and Ayr United, go to head to head in the next league fixture ( I know Ayr have a game before this but we don't).  We have 2 wins from 2 in the league and have played really well, stark contrast to our joke of a League Cup campaign.  Ayr were outplayed by Killie in their opening fixture but fought back to salvage a draw with Arbroath on Saturday, having been 2-0 down.  I have no idea what to expect from Ayr.  If The Caley keep the ball on the deck we can carve every team in this league open with ease.  Therefore, 

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Have you been drinking all weekend? 
Home win with Hopkin blaming one of; The wind, referee, fans, long balls not being long enough. The draw on Saturday was more Arbroath surrendering 3 points than us fighting back to salvage a draw, they clearly took the foot off the gas and started to look tired. We might get something if Muirhead starts as he is the only one that seems capable of organising and we get as far away from the 3-5-1-1 long punts as possible. 

If we don’t manage to beat Ayr at home, we may as well give up on any ambitions of going up. We’ve played some very good stuff in the first two games at times, impaired somewhat by Kirk Broadfoot. Hopefully Dodds finally drops him and Harper is back in the team. 

That said, if we don’t cut out the defensive lapses Ayr will create some chances. Their best chance is Kirk Broadfoot doing a Kirk Broadfoot. Did I mention that Kirk Broadfoot gives me the fear?

I just don't trust Dodds to tell the players to play the ball on the deck for more than 2 games in at row.  I fear we may play like we did against Scumling Lolbian and Cove and just shell it to Shane Sutherland for 90 minutes.

I actually expect Billy McKay to start.

3 hours ago, scottbamby said:

If we don’t manage to beat Ayr at home, we may as well give up on any ambitions of going up. We’ve played some very good stuff in the first two games at times, impaired somewhat by Kirk Broadfoot. Hopefully Dodds finally drops him and Harper is back in the team. 

That said, if we don’t cut out the defensive lapses Ayr will create some chances. Their best chance is Kirk Broadfoot doing a Kirk Broadfoot. Did I mention that Kirk Broadfoot gives me the fear?

I'm no fan of the man or the signing but Kirk Broadfoot is in our first choice back 4, Cameron Harper isn't and i expect that will be that for this season. 

The lapses are worrying and the clean sheets are misleading, but the defence has made a lot of progress since Cove (possibly the worst defensive performance in our history) and taking Harper out has been essential to that improvement. 

35 minutes ago, CaleyStan said:

I'm no fan of the man or the signing but Kirk Broadfoot is in our first choice back 4, Cameron Harper isn't and i expect that will be that for this season. 

The lapses are worrying and the clean sheets are misleading, but the defence has made a lot of progress since Cove (possibly the worst defensive performance in our history) and taking Harper out has been essential to that improvement. 

That or one of the Airdrie maulings in 99-00.  Think we lost 5-1 and 6-1, I was at both. Cove the other week and those two must be the worst three.  Certainly that I've ever been at/watched on TV.

After a 5-0 pumping at the hands of Dundee United, David "Hoppy" Hopkin will add a further 2 new players to the 2 he added after the 2-2 draw with Arbroath stating that he lacked that wee bit of quality in the (your guess is as good as mine) area of the park. 

Ayr line up with 5 at the back, a midfield made up of a centre half and two right backs a total of 8 former Morton players in the starting 11.

Billy Dodd's game plan of not contemplating a defence proves to be a stroke of genius as Ayr have zero touches in the Inverness half. 

Final score, Inverness 7 Ayr United 0

David "Hoppy" Hopkin says after the match that we were unlucky and that he hopes to add 1-2 more new players in the coming week.

37 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

After a 5-0 pumping at the hands of Dundee United, David "Hoppy" Hopkin will add a further 2 new players to the 2 he added after the 2-2 draw with Arbroath stating that he lacked that wee bit of quality in the (your guess is as good as mine) area of the park. 

Ayr line up with 5 at the back, a midfield made up of a centre half and two right backs a total of 8 former Morton players in the starting 11.

Billy Dodd's game plan of not contemplating a defence proves to be a stroke of genius as Ayr have zero touches in the Inverness half. 

Final score, Inverness 7 Ayr United 0

David "Hoppy" Hopkin says after the match that we were unlucky and that he hopes to add 1-2 more new players in the coming week.

It is about time we beat you 7-0 again tbf.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Some nice memories from the past

Charlie Nicholas even slips in a "sitting there thinking" into that clip.

After he scored the goal and at 1:26, Davide Xausa made a bee line for a spectator who moments before gave him, shall we say, some encouragement. It was hilarious and they insisted afterwards that Xausa wouldn't have taken the shot if he hadn't been enraged.

I'm doing the Etape Loch Ness event on the Sunday so I was booked up there for the weekend anyway. Thankyou SPFL for arranging this and partly makes up for starting the season on a Monday night with away fans banned. Going to be incredibly challenging resisting a few beers after the game with a 5am start on Sunday, especially if we get even just a point.

Edited by AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

This will be 2-2 or something.  We seem to struggle more and more against Ayr as they get weaker.  (And they have gotten weaker every season since 18/19 when they had Shankland, Forrest etc).

In that season I think we beat them 3 out of 4 and drew the other one.  We seem to struggle to break them down at home, especially in the last 2 seasons.  The last game of last season was dire.  I highly doubt we'll win.

Edit - we also beat and drew with them in the promotion play offs in 18/19.

Edited by TheScarf

Was thinking all day yesterday that this game is tomorrow.  Hopefully Welsh will be back for this, given he's got a week longer than I thought to get fit for it.