Vale of Leithen 2021/22

MDM

21 hours ago, craigiemack said:

I want Vale to stay up so, so, so much. Imagine the seethe.

No-one cares which team goes down, just that there actually is a team relegated which still isn't guaranteed.

If I was a Gretna fan, I'd certainly be fearing relegation. They'd likely be stuck in the South of Scotland league permanently under the current system.

49 minutes ago, stanley said:

If I was a Gretna fan, I'd certainly be fearing relegation. They'd likely be stuck in the South of Scotland league permanently under the current system.

How would that be then ?

SOSFL an easier league to win and would guarantee a shot at the play offs almost every season unlike the West and East. 

They might well get stuck but would practically have a free shot at the LL every season providing of course they would win the South league. 

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Holy shit, they won a game. Fair play! Can easily laugh at Gretna if they finish bottom instead.

It's a bit like 2019-20. Vale of Leithen are absolutely on the backfoot but actually play the games they could scrape themselves off the bottom.

The extra advantage that Gretna 2008 has is that they've played each other twice already. There isn't an obvious place to be picking up points.

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

How would that be then ?

SOSFL an easier league to win and would guarantee a shot at the play offs almost every season unlike the West and East. 

They might well get stuck but would practically have a free shot at the LL every season providing of course they would win the South league. 

I can't imagine them winning a playoff against the East or West champions any time soon if ever. If I was a Gretna fan, I'd rather be going down to the East with much less chance of promotion but a better variety of clubs. 

I think it would be pretty dull only playing clubs in your local area and having no prospect of relegation and very few new clubs joining the league.

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

How would that be then ?

They might have a free shot (until Dalbettie get relegated) but I don't see them beating teams in the top half of either East or West any time soon.

55 minutes ago, stanley said:

I can't imagine them winning a playoff against the East or West champions any time soon if ever. If I was a Gretna fan, I'd rather be going down to the East with much less chance of promotion but a better variety of clubs. 

I think it would be pretty dull only playing clubs in your local area and having no prospect of relegation and very few new clubs joining the league.

The current play-off isn't likely to be forever. If all the LL does is increase promotion to 2 spots and keep the play-off then there's a decent shout that a draw followed by winning the penalty shootout could be good enough for the 2nd promotion spot.

On 12/12/2021 at 18:45, newcastle broon said:

...SOSFL an easier league to win and would guarantee a shot at the play offs almost every season unlike the West and East...

Are they really likely to be drastically better than Threave Rovers, St Cuthbert's Wanderers and Stranraer Reserves if they become fixtures in the SoS? Don't think that's a given. Think they would really need to be in the WoS to draw in players from Cumbria looking for a higher calibre of play than they can get locally.

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Are they really likely to be drastically better than Threave Rovers, St Cuthbert's Wanderers and Stranraer Reserves if they become fixtures in the SoS? Don't think that's a given. Think they would really need to be in the WoS to draw in players from Cumbria looking for a higher calibre of play than they can get locally.

Gretna might even improve a bit if they were in the SoS league. Some of their fans on here have said they struggle to bring in young guys from over the border because the travel across the Central Belt puts them off compared to staying in the North West of England for the levels below Conference North. A few of those players would be more inclined to playing at Raydale if the away days were all local. 

22 minutes ago, Gimme said:
49 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:
Is £10 the normal admission fee or have the prices been bumped up because it is Rangers?

It wasn't £10 when Bonnyrigg were there!

I’ve only ever been down there once, but i don’t  recall it being that price. I know they are trying to make money, but I don’t agree with increasing it for one game (If that is what they are doing), as it penalises the regular lower league watcher.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think that's something that the WoSFL have put in place.

The LL rules have finally been updated with Version 18. Although I can't seem to access it.

Looks like the person updating the page has been a bit incompetent and linked to a Gmail attachment instead of uploading it to their site.

5 hours ago, Steven W said:

Was £7 on Saturday.

If VoL are setting about shafting Rangers fans, then that only serves to make them all the more likeable

Likeable they may be, but they also voted to allow the OF Colts entry to the LL. Maybe they are seeking revenge and shafting the OF fans(+ their own) to see the game.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

6 hours ago, Steven W said:

Was £7 on Saturday.

If VoL are setting about shafting Rangers fans, then that only serves to make them all the more likeable

Mmmm... nah, that was the reason they voted to let them weasel into the system in the first place.