Promotion push 2021-22

stulch

In the last couple of years Hermes, Dyce, and Stonehaven have joined the A&DFA. Joining the Aberdeen University as Junior clubs in the association. Now they can actually access licencing some of them will no doubt get there eventually. It's going to take time though since Dyce still don't have floodlights and Stonehaven are only participating in the u20 league. It's small steps being taken though.

Similarly, Montrose Roselea talked about a willingness to get licenced but not applying to the HL. On the ground criteria they shouldn't struggle too much depending on their access to Links Park. It's probably the rest that's an issue since it's meant to be fairly small committee. 

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Even if that's the case. There has to be more to it than simply allowing Club 42 declare a preference.

The HL have just set up their pyramid with the Midlands included and Brechin City are already in the HL. Changing where Club 42 goes doesn't impact that.

Changing the rules so that a club can express a preference could be taken as meaning that any club could express a preference as to where they play regardless of the line.

Is it possible that such a rule change could pave the way for Brechin to express a preference to play in the lowland league next season?

8 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Changing the rules so that a club can express a preference could be taken as meaning that any club could express a preference as to where they play regardless of the line.

Is it possible that such a rule change could pave the way for Brechin to express a preference to play in the lowland league next season?

No. Because the rule has only ever applied to Club 42 and Brechin City are not Club 42 anymore.

A couple of LL board members quit because the rest of the LL members were not being informed of events prior to today's SGM.

I know some people think that George Fraser is on some sort of power trip, but do you really think he would try and scrap the boundary and create a free for all without proper consultation?

Draft the rule as follows and find a way to get the SPFL, HL and LL to sign off on it (this is the tricky part where the LL is concerned) and it can be retrospective easily enough:

Clubs who are or have been members of the SPFL who are or have been relegated through the Club 42 playoff and are still participating in a league affiliated with the professional game board will have the right to specify whether they will participate in the HL or LL.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I know some people think that George Fraser is on some sort of power trip, but do you really think he would try and scrap the boundary and create a free for all without proper consultation?

Yes, hence the stooshie.

6 hours ago, BS7 said:

Or is the real driver behind this the highland league don’t want tayside and Angus teams.

From what I heard, that's far from the case. They were apparently really accommodating in the talks with the Tayside clubs that resulted in the Highland pyramid. 

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's been discussed in the Highland Pyramid thread so dont want to derail this too much but has been suggested Lochee United, Broughty and Dundee North End (Lochee need lights but actively pursuing licensing I believe) would all be close to licensing. There is some issue with Carnoustie Panmure that would need a bit of money spent but I can't remember what. 

From the information I have, Lochee United and Tayport are the closest to licensing. They've already started with lights at Lochee, electrical cables for them have already gone in.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Yes, hence the stooshie.

During the 18 months Brechin were looking to be Club 42 they were quite rightly outed for their various attempts at getting into the Lowland League. What reporting there has been, and the leaks from those more in the know, Brechin trying to get into the LL hasn't been spoken about. It's purely been about changing the Club 42 boundary.

I'm sure that's something Brechin are no doubt supporting. Just from the perspective of winning the HL and potentially getting relegated back down again. Which goes back to this being a very short sighted issue and being weird it has been brought up again. Since no Angus club looks to be at risk of relegation and by the time it does happen there will likely be Tayside teams in the HL.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

During the 18 months Brechin were looking to be Club 42 they were quite rightly outed for their various attempts at getting into the Lowland League. What reporting there has been, and the leaks from those more in the know, Brechin trying to get into the LL hasn't been spoken about. It's purely been about changing the Club 42 boundary.

I'm sure that's something Brechin are no doubt supporting. Just from the perspective of winning the HL and potentially getting relegated back down again. Which goes back to this being a very short sighted issue and being weird it has been brought up again. Since no Angus club looks to be at risk of relegation and by the time it does happen there will likely be Tayside teams in the HL.

My guess is that Petrie has spotted an opportunity to exploit the LL's need for rule changes to accomodate the Colts, to push his obsession with removing the boundaries, probably with a little encouragement from the Angus clubs who perhaps are taking a long term view of it.  The man is a liability, and the guy coming after him is worse.

Edited by Burnieman

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Scrapping the boundary makes no sense. Moving the boundary slightly to account for the Tayport issue is a more reasonable suggestion.

The way I see it you have three options:

1) A fixed boundary at whatever location is deemed appropriate.

2) No boundary, and in any given year the HL consists of the northernmost clubs and the LL consists of the southernmost clubs.

3) A hybrid system where all clubs above a certain boundary are HL, all below a certain boundary are LL and the clubs in the middle may move around based on the geographical make up of the relative leagues.

A muddled system where teams can pick and choose which league they play in is bounded to eventually lead to issues. It's not too hard to imagine teams making decisions based on which league they think is easier, or for clubs to get annoyed because inconsistent decisions are made from season to season - for example LL clubs voting to allow Brechin in one year, but then not allowing Montrose in a few years later.

Agreed that allowing clubs to pick is mad, tho it is the current HL area policy for relegation.

You can also have the LL system for relegation where the League boards mutually agree.   The SPFL, HL and LL can assign each league 2 sides a tier 5 league at the start of the season.  (Which is kind of like your hybrid system, but clearer IMO)