Promotion push 2021-22

stulch

12 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Now Bo'ness are extreme longshots for promotion my interest in this topic has dwindled considerably at least until this time next year but judging from what is on the geneal chat LL thread I had managed to overestimate George Fraser's competence level when I wrote some of the above posts.

Ploughing ahead with colt team entry before the SFA had actually had time to fully sign off on it appears to have opened the door to having all sorts of pressure applied to finally have the Tay Bridge midpoint line of latitude boundary removed from the Club 42 playoff rule. Who knows, Brechin City may yet be making an appearance for 2022-23 from stage right?

The tail normally isn't allowed to wag the dog within any hierarchical organisation.

Lochee might want to chuck in at tier 6 in the eosfl too?

4 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Or is the real driver behind this the highland league don’t want tayside and Angus teams.

Even if that's the case. There has to be more to it than simply allowing Club 42 declare a preference.

The HL have just set up their pyramid with the Midlands included and Brechin City are already in the HL. Changing where Club 42 goes doesn't impact that.

57 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Even if that's the case. There has to be more to it than simply allowing Club 42 declare a preference.

The HL have just set up their pyramid with the Midlands included and Brechin City are already in the HL. Changing where Club 42 goes doesn't impact that.

Very true. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

Edit:I probably need to remind myself who can and cannot get promoted to the highland league this season. 

Edited by BS7

13 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Very true. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

Edit:I probably need to remind myself who can and cannot get promoted to the highland league this season. 

Hopefully after tonight things will become clearer on what's happening.

In a way scrapping the boundary makes sense since you could have an instance of Tayport being promoted up through the Highland and relegated to the Lowland.

Scrapping the boundary makes no sense. Moving the boundary slightly to account for the Tayport issue is a more reasonable suggestion.

The way I see it you have three options:

1) A fixed boundary at whatever location is deemed appropriate.

2) No boundary, and in any given year the HL consists of the northernmost clubs and the LL consists of the southernmost clubs.

3) A hybrid system where all clubs above a certain boundary are HL, all below a certain boundary are LL and the clubs in the middle may move around based on the geographical make up of the relative leagues.

A muddled system where teams can pick and choose which league they play in is bounded to eventually lead to issues. It's not too hard to imagine teams making decisions based on which league they think is easier, or for clubs to get annoyed because inconsistent decisions are made from season to season - for example LL clubs voting to allow Brechin in one year, but then not allowing Montrose in a few years later.

1 hour ago, BS7 said:

Lochee might want to chuck in at tier 6 in the eosfl too?

Think they were always angling for either the east superleague or a Midlands League to be a fourth LL feeder but the EoS could and can still block that because of the way approval to changes to the tier 6 promotion playoff rule work (SFA, LL, EoS, SoS and now WoS all need to sign off). Lochee were and are unlikely to be keen on the point of entry into the EoS being at tier 9 level so when push came to shove with the Forfar West End application they preferred the HL feeder scenario which the EoS had no issue with and were happy to help facilitate by knocking back the three applications from north of Tayport.

It's the LL rather than the EoS that have to block changes to the Club 42 rule to keep the Tay Bridge midpoint in any way relevant in all of this (SFA, SPFL and HL all seem to want a change in that context) and there was always a good chance the LL would cave on that in exchange for something else that they wanted. George Fraser seems to have opened the door to that potentially happening in time for next season by not getting the Old Firm Colts rule changes fully signed off before the season started with said Colts on board and hence handing the SFA board lots of leverage.

If the LL agree to a Club 42 rule change, the next target for lots of arm twisting to have Dundee and Angus aligned with the LL rather than the HL would then no doubt be the EoS.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Worth noting the Highland playoff rules are explicit about who the champion clubs are in each of the three feeders - ie the clubs with the most points 

Leagues can not nominate a champion eg the highest placed licensed team 

That's a bizzare rule to have in place.  What if 2 of the 3 league winners aren't licensed and 1 of said 2 wins the round robin? IE someone like Culter from the 'Grampian' League somehow win their league, then beat the ML and NCL sides to face off against Fort William, only to remember that they aren't licensed? I take it promotion/relegation is cancelled for that season?

As far as I'm aware, that isn't possible.

If there is only 1 licensed champion then they will automatically enter the play-off agains the HL side, but the round robin will still go ahead with 3 clubs to determine the overall Tier 6 champions.

If there are 2 licensed champions then they will just play off against each other and the other side won't take part.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

That's a bizzare rule to have in place.  What if 2 of the 3 league winners aren't licensed and 1 of said 2 wins the round robin? IE someone like Culter from the 'Grampian' League somehow win their league, then beat the ML and NCL sides to face off against Fort William, only to remember that they aren't licensed? I take it promotion/relegation is cancelled for that season?

As far as I understand it the end of season tournament is for shits and giggles if 0 or 1 licensed champion.

If 0 no promotion.

If 1 they play the bottom HFL side even if finishing third in playoff tournament 

It's been discussed in the Highland Pyramid thread so dont want to derail this too much but has been suggested Lochee United, Broughty and Dundee North End (Lochee need lights but actively pursuing licensing I believe) would all be close to licensing. There is some issue with Carnoustie Panmure that would need a bit of money spent but I can't remember what. 

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

For the Highlands? Banks O'dee and Golspie Sutherland.

I mean they're the two most likely to win their leagues but only two out of a whole two leagues isn't great.

Tayside crashing the party moves things from a scenario where playoffs were likely to usually favour the HL team after BoD replaced Fort William to where up to half the HL need to be seriously worried about where they are likely to be playing their fitba in 5-10 years time. Winding things back to this subforum's subject matter how heartbroken would the HL be to lose the Midlands League to the LL as a tier 6 feeder given that backdrop?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I mean they're the two most likely to win their leagues but only two out of a whole two leagues isn't great.

The North Region and Midlands league have been unable to get licenced for the last 5ish years.

The WoSFL only joined up in 2020 and got 5 clubs licenced within a year. A number of clubs that joined the EoSFL got licenced within their first year.

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The NCL is basically an ammies league and until 3 months ago no incentive for juniors to get licensed.

In 2 years time I would be surprised if you aren't looking at a dozen across the region.

This is straying off topic in a big way but will be interesting to see how many north region clubs ever do licensing. A large portion of it is also closer to an ammies league in central belt terms.

Edited by LongTimeLurker