St Rochs 21/22 season

Decent performance against Peasy yesterday. Let them back into the game a bit too much but once Henderson scored that brilliant volley we found ourselves out of sight. No complaints could be had about Peasy’s red card, but there should’ve been another when Barry Russell was elbowed off the ball by a Peasy player. f**k knows how the ref didn’t see that one. Russell was superb though and I also thought Kieran Daw played really well as per. Also have to give a shout to Peasy’s big baldy centre half who was class, won every heeder. Decent crowd, not as much as approx. 600 for Larkhall on Wednesday but still decent, maybe just around 500? About 40 peasy fans

Best bet for the Candy would be to stay in the top four.

That would put them in teir 7 which is probably the right level for the Candy.

Without serious money no team will ever stay in the LL or Premier league in the West as things start to progress Post Covid.

Hard to believe at this point in early August St Roch's have played a quarter of the 28 League games. If they can reach the half way stage in a few weeks still looking like title chasers then all will be well up on the Royston Rd.

Btw, they must be one of the best supported teams in the West outside of the top league.

2 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Best bet for the Candy would be to stay in the top four.

That would put them in teir 7 which is probably the right level for the Candy.

Without serious money no team will ever stay in the LL or Premier league in the West as things start to progress Post Covid.

Hard to believe at this point in early August St Roch's have played a quarter of the 28 League games. If they can reach the half way stage in a few weeks still looking like title chasers then all will be well up on the Royston Rd.

Btw, they must be one of the best supported teams in the West outside of the top league.

I think the Candy could definitely progress beyond that point. Maybe not in the very near future but some point in say 10-20 years. The support is certainly there to back it and the current committee at the club are doing a fantastic job. 

can defos keep up this form, the only problem is I think pretty much every game I’ve came away saying we should’ve scored more. For example Neilston at home where we lost 2-0 we dominated from the first to the 89th minute but didn’t take our chances and conceded 10 seconds in and then in the 90th minute and lost 2-0. Need to put games like that to bed if we’re thinking of a league title! 

defos one of the best supported teams. Around 600 at the Larkhall game, not that much less yesterday for the Petershill game

I think the Candy could definitely progress beyond that point. Maybe not in the very near future but some point in say 10-20 years. The support is certainly there to back it and the current committee at the club are doing a fantastic job. 

can defos keep up this form, the only problem is I think pretty much every game I’ve came away saying we should’ve scored more. For example Neilston at home where we lost 2-0 we dominated from the first to the 89th minute but didn’t take our chances and conceded 10 seconds in and then in the 90th minute and lost 2-0. Need to put games like that to bed if we’re thinking of a league title! 

defos one of the best supported teams. Around 600 at the Larkhall game, not that much less yesterday for the Petershill game
Brilliant support that for peasy and larkhall games. I get the peasy game being 600 as local derby and long may it continue aslong as its no full of bams singing celtic and irish p**h. A club on the up

Mon the papers

17 hours ago, console259 said:

This club have some good people but the good people do absolutely nothing about the scum that follow them either from local community or celtic fanbase who are bored on at saturday or can't get a season ticket. 

For the record i'm a celtic catholic supporter who used to go around many glasgow clubs taking in games last 20 years . When nobody went to st rochs it was run down but a decent place to watch a lower level non league game. 

Now it's full of hangers on that bring all the stupid baggage that comes with scummy celtic support .

Let's face it those running st rochs do nothing they are driven by ego and bragging about having this crowd and that crowd never mind running a tight respectable ship.  It's pathetic. 

Don't come back then dickhead.

30 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

Don't come back then dickhead.

I don’t think that is the answer. Surely, educate him about all the good work the club does in the community would be a better way of showing the worth of a community club like St Rochs. 

4 hours ago, Lurcer said:

I don’t think that is the answer. Surely, educate him about all the good work the club does in the community would be a better way of showing the worth of a community club like St Rochs. 

Pointless. He wouldn't listen. The fella is a wind-up merchant who shouldn't be taken seriously.

On 09/08/2021 at 15:12, console259 said:

This club have some good people but the good people do absolutely nothing about the scum that follow them either from local community or celtic fanbase who are bored on at saturday or can't get a season ticket. 

For the record i'm a celtic catholic supporter who used to go around many glasgow clubs taking in games last 20 years . When nobody went to st rochs it was run down but a decent place to watch a lower level non league game. 

Now it's full of hangers on that bring all the stupid baggage that comes with scummy celtic support .

Let's face it those running st rochs do nothing they are driven by ego and bragging about having this crowd and that crowd never mind running a tight respectable ship.  It's pathetic. 

Goodness me 

I am one of the people who run St Roch's, having big crowds is not something we brag about.

We endeavour to support as many groups throughoughout our communities. This has included Homeless charities, Homework clubs, football coaching, Employability session, mental health support groups to name a few - these are the things that make us proud and all free to the end users. We actually won the Evening Times Community Organisation of the Year in 2019.

On the park we have progressed at the right pace over the past 7 years.

We are also very proud of our fans (the vast vast majority are "real" St Roch's fans and not hangers on as you put it - although I am sure that every club in the west region will have people who come to thier games just for something to do.

Our fans are incredible  - as an example they recently did a fundraiser to purchase a defiblirator - you don't often here this but they brought in TOO MUCH  money.

They decided to buy two defiblirators and donate one to another west of Scotland club. This would have cost around £1300 but the fans were keen that because the money was donated for life saving equipment that is what it should be used for.  All west clubs have been informed and a Free raffle will determine the destination as we extend the generosity of our fans to another club.

It does not take ego to run a successful community club - for us to continue to succeed we need to continue to care.

All the very best - you are welcome to come up to our game on Saturday and judge for yourself.

33 minutes ago, Glass ceiling said:

Goodness me 

I am one of the people who run St Roch's, having big crowds is not something we brag about.

We endeavour to support as many groups throughoughout our communities. This has included Homeless charities, Homework clubs, football coaching, Employability session, mental health support groups to name a few - these are the things that make us proud and all free to the end users. We actually won the Evening Times Community Organisation of the Year in 2019.

On the park we have progressed at the right pace over the past 7 years.

We are also very proud of our fans (the vast vast majority are "real" St Roch's fans and not hangers on as you put it - although I am sure that every club in the west region will have people who come to thier games just for something to do.

Our fans are incredible  - as an example they recently did a fundraiser to purchase a defiblirator - you don't often here this but they brought in TOO MUCH  money.

They decided to buy two defiblirators and donate one to another west of Scotland club. This would have cost around £1300 but the fans were keen that because the money was donated for life saving equipment that is what it should be used for.  All west clubs have been informed and a Free raffle will determine the destination as we extend the generosity of our fans to another club.

It does not take ego to run a successful community club - for us to continue to succeed we need to continue to care.

All the very best - you are welcome to come up to our game on Saturday and judge for yourself.

That is the correct reply. Well done. 

Sorry...but..well....I wasn't going to say anything but...phew..the sheer hypocrisy of that particular club...

^^ Is it f**k the correct reply.

I have never, ever, agreed with the nutjob above...but I do on this one occasion.

St. Roch's have done f**k all to deal with the unsavoury element of the 'fans' who turn up at their ground. (I'm only able to comment on the last forty years). They take the money and then turn a deaf ear and a blind eye.

Are the "incredible" fans the same ones who recently flashed a blade at a young guy ?

My auntie stayed in Rye Road most of her days.

My auntie would've battered f**k out of the wee dicks.

St. Roch's probably gave them a big cuddle and patted their wee underpriviledged heads. (Checks Spelling)...

I won't be back to the toxicosphere.

And...just so there is no doubt btw...I'm an unrepentant Tim.

f**k them.

Young people deserve better role models than the "fans" at St. Roch's.

7 hours ago, Glass ceiling said:

Goodness me, I am one of the apologists.

We don't brag about our crowds except when we claim to get 600 and will be taking 5 buses to a cup tie. Apart from bragging we are very humble.

I've Nno axe to grind chum, but try reading the thread before asserting that your squeaky clean support aren't full of it.

Edited by Black Pennel
Fed up with blinkered whataboutery.

5 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

I've Nno axe to grind chum, but try reading the thread before asserting that your squeaky clean support aren't full of it.

In the post above you have clearly altered what I said and therein lies some of the problem - people believe what they are told without knowing the full truth.

Yep not all of our fans are squeaky clean (no fan base is)  and you can be assured that we do all we can to ensure that things are done properly. If people step out of line there is a process for dealing with that in our fans charter - same as most clubs.

No going to engage anymore because both you and the lad console clearly have an idea about the majority of our support and how anyone who causes trouble is dealt with. You are both wrong

Wish you both well but sometimes find out what the full story is and even what is true before you make your mind up.

The example you used above where you altered my quote to make it look like something I said is typical - don't believe all you read on social media .

15 hours ago, console259 said:

Quit all the BS. 

I'd be embarrassed to go back. 

You constantly sweep things under the carpet , a social media blackout for a day or two after a horrible incident or incidents that are all widely reported then everyone back on the candy express all is good in the world. 

No explanations,  no repercussions,  no accountability nothing. Having the odd initiative to help in the community doesn't give you the right to get away with the stuff you have been getting away for years now. 

How great we are how much good we do blah blah blah. 

Never mind the  bigoted shouts,  the stupid flags,  the ned like atmosphere and scummy behavior persists .

I know many good candy men from back in the day who would turn in graves at what goes on at that club on matchdays especially when a bigger support come to town. 

And that's all i have to say on that. 

No need to invite me to another game. 

When it was a decent place to watch a non league as you put it the club was drawing attendances of 30/40 folk, so we are doing just fine without you now cheers. 

It’s a pity that any conversation around St Roch’s on this forum always seems to deteriorate in to a small number of bigots admonishing people they’ve never met for things they’ve never seen them do. Even worse, to refer to them as “neds” and seek and end to the “Celtic and Irish Pish”… our country simply will not move forward for as long as views like that are tolerated in public forums such as this one. Yes, there have been instances of anti-social behaviour by supporters of St Roch’s, and other clubs around the league, but to make discriminatory, class-based comments and suggest that people should not be allowed to express their chosen identity (whatever it may be) and that you can say that because you’re a “tim” is utterly ridiculous. People are free to express themselves how they like within the confines of the law and the rules laid out by the league. If they fall foul of that then clubs must act and I have every faith that they do and will continue to. By the way, you should search for St Roch’s and Larkhall on YouTube. No one on here has ever seen that video before… 🥴

The very nature of our game means we don’t have access to HD CCTV cameras to catch individual supporters 100% of the time in order to resolve the matters you refer to. At my own club, when these instances arise, we take steps to educate those responsible first and foremost before looking to punish. There is always an element amongst any support that can cause, or find trouble, and I would hazard a guess that we face a similar volume of issues as St Roch’s, just on a lesser scale. At the end of the day, we are committee members, no police officers, and these conversations are often difficult and uncomfortable at the best of times, even for our small support, so I can’t imagine the challenges around dealing with 4 or 5 times that volume as St Roch’s are. That being said, perhaps I am offering logic where none is being sought. 

I’ve lurked on this forum for some time, and whilst I’m not a St Roch’s supporter myself I may well have a soft spot for them as I found myself infuriated reading through this thread. In a matter of hours it has been hijacked. It took five posts to mention the word “Irish” and six posts to mention the word “Catholic”. No matter the context, surely we are better than that? 

When clubs are making progress at our level we could do worse to offer them our support and congratulations in the first instance  

I may well return to lurking after this post, but if not I will only engage on this thread to discuss football matters. I would politely suggest others do the same. 

Edited by Bottles of Water

I go now and again and think they're absolutely right to embrace their history and community. They are what they are and not doing that meant there was very little local engagement.

I get the impression the people running it are quite inexperienced and don't want to alienate potential long term supporters. They'll need time to knock of some tough edges.

I don't necessarily like all I see and hear there, but I'm not easily offended and I know what to expect so it's no big deal.

Poor result last night, expected a win against Yoker. Couldn’t make the game, on the one hand nice to see Starky got MOTM but seems we were under the cosh. Nonetheless that’s one step closer to top of the table. Can’t argue with that

• 4 weeks later...