FA Cup 2021/2022

Eednud

3 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Corinthian Casuals and Dorking both out on penalties this evening. Bummer - two of our top picks of games to go to.

Yep.

We're considering Hayes and Yeading v Sutton and Wimbledon v Guiseley. We are staying with a mate in Surrey so both doable I think.

Geography wise Corinthian Casuals would have been perfect.

If it doesn't work out might look at a Premiership game but keen to take in a cup game if possible.

10 hours ago, Adamski said:

That's pretty close to our shortlist as well. Maybe also Dagenham and Redbridge v Salford.

36 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep.

We're considering Hayes and Yeading v Sutton and Wimbledon v Guiseley. We are staying with a mate in Surrey so both doable I think.

Geography wise Corinthian Casuals would have been perfect.

If it doesn't work out might look at a Premiership game but keen to take in a cup game if possible.

Hayes & Yeading are setting their division on fire so far this season. Signed well during covid and their squad is at least Conf South if not Conf National level (I know it's not the Conference any more but you can't be saying "National League National" ). A lot of potential for an upset there. 

That aside, there's not a lot going for a trip to Hayes. The ground is pretty boring with just one massive single tiered stand down one side and flat standing around the rest. I am not actually sure if they even have a bar and there are no pubs or shops nearby. They're located on an industrial park in far west London, a good 30 mins walk from the nearest train station, and probably 15-20 mins from the nearest bus stop. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

Hayes & Yeading are setting their division on fire so far this season. Signed well during covid and their squad is at least Conf South if not Conf National level (I know it's not the Conference any more but you can't be saying "National League National" ). A lot of potential for an upset there. 
That aside, there's not a lot going for a trip to Hayes. The ground is pretty boring with just one massive single tiered stand down one side and flat standing around the rest. I am not actually sure if they even have a bar and there are no pubs or shops nearby. They're located on an industrial park in far west London, a good 30 mins walk from the nearest train station, and probably 15-20 mins from the nearest bus stop. 

Thanks for this. Really helpful.
Think we might give that one a miss based on the description. We generally look to get a decent lunch and a few beers before the game. AFC Wimbledon at Plough Lane looking like the best option as things stand.

12 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Think we might give that one a miss based on the description. We generally look to get a decent lunch and a few beers before the game. AFC Wimbledon at Plough Lane looking like the best option as things stand.

And a chance to see former Doonhamer, Dapo Mebude.

i was in the area last night so decided to go to Gateshead v Marske United and delay my drive home

A great view from the steep main stand which actually made the pitch seem close despite the running track

All the goals in the second half , with Gateshead winning 3-2 (Thankfully it finished before extra time was needed or id not have got home before 2am)

A reasonably vocal support for both teams, chant of the night goes to Marske with "Your a small town in Saudi"

Not sure that parking cars on an astro turf is a good idea but thats where we were directed to park as the other carparks were in use for the other facilities at the complex before kick off.

On 20/10/2021 at 00:03, Distant Doonhamer said:

We’ve been a bit scuppered by the draw and the TV scheduling, so our FA Cup weekend has evolved into a Premier League one. Brighton v Newcastle on the Saturday, then Anrsenal v Watford on the Sunday. Arsenal to St Albans v Forest Green to Luton Airport for the flight home is just about doable on the Sunday, but sounds like a bit of a mad rush and might well be feeling footballed out by then.

Anybody been to a game at St Albans? Worth the detour?

Anyway - first weekend away with pals in a very long time and really looking forward to it.

Edited by Adamski

34 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Yep. Quite enjoyed it although to be fair it was a lovely sunny July pre season friendly. Sadly when I planned to go back, the match was called off because an old boy fell off the roof.

They also currently have the coolest shirt sponsorship deal in football (Enter Shikari).

53 minutes ago, Adamski said:

We’ve been a bit scuppered by the draw and the TV scheduling, so our FA Cup weekend has evolved into a Premier League one. Brighton v Newcastle on the Saturday, then Anrsenal v Watford on the Sunday. Arsenal to St Albans v Forest Green to Luton Airport for the flight home is just about doable on the Sunday, but sounds like a bit of a mad rush and might well be feeling footballed out by then.

Anyway - first weekend away with pals in a very long time and really looking forward to it.

We've got tickets for Palace v Wolves so we're going to that on the Saturday afternoon. We'll likely just have a few beers on the Sunday and a nice meal out somewhere. Heading home by train on Monday afternoon so no FA Cup games for us on this occasion.

Likewise looking forward to a weekend away. It's been a while. Enjoy.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

14 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We've got tickets for Palace v Wolves so we're going to that on the Saturday afternoon. We'll likely just have a few beers on the Sunday and a nice meal out somewhere. Heading home by train on Monday afternoon so no FA Cup games for us on this occasion.

Likewise looking forward to a weekend away. It's been a while. Enjoy.

Nice one.

I actually live in Crystal Palace, although that's not where they play any more, having relocated to the neighbouring area of Selhurst many decades ago. You mentioned before that you like to get a good lunch in. The Crystal Palace triangle is known for having lots of great independent restaurants - Portuguese, Moroccan, Spanish, Venezuelan, Thai, Italian, Turkish, Greek and others as well as several decent bars. It's a 10 min Uber from there to Selhurst Park. There are two shopping areas near Selhurst Park by Norwood Junction and Thornton Heath stations respectively. The food options at both of those are mainly just kebab shops, although there's a decent Jamaican takeaway at Norwood Junction called Flavaz and a decent Nigerian takeaway in Thornton Heath called Bukalicious (happy to give menu suggestions!). In terms of pubs, I don't actually know from experience, but there's one called The Holmesdale near the stadium which I assume would have a good atmosphere, as there's a massive Crystal Palace mural in the beer garden you can see from driving past. I am sure your own research will turn up more info on the best drinking places though!

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

1 hour ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Nice one.

I actually live in Crystal Palace, although that's not where they play any more, having relocated to the neighbouring area of Selhurst many decades ago. You mentioned before that you like to get a good lunch in. The Crystal Palace triangle is known for having lots of great independent restaurants - Portuguese, Moroccan, Spanish, Venezuelan, Thai, Italian, Turkish, Greek and others as well as several decent bars. It's a 10 min Uber from there to Selhurst Park. There are two shopping areas near Selhurst Park by Norwood Junction and Thornton Heath stations respectively. The food options at both of those are mainly just kebab shops, although there's a decent Jamaican takeaway at Norwood Junction called Flavaz and a decent Nigerian takeaway in Thornton Heath called Bukalicious (happy to give menu suggestions!). In terms of pubs, I don't actually know from experience, but there's one called The Holmesdale near the stadium which I assume would have a good atmosphere, as there's a massive Crystal Palace mural in the beer garden you can see from driving past. I am sure your own research will turn up more info on the best drinking places though!

Thanks for that. Really helpful. 👍

First Round proper gets underway tonight with the lowest ranked side, tier 8 AFC Sudbury at home to Colchester United. Bit of a local derby as both towns fairly close. This game is on BBC 2. Other live games in following link plus a few other Cup stories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58993658

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59061388

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59161973

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58969252

This is the time of the year that the BBC completely loses the run of itself banging on about the magic of the cup.  Although I did enjoy the pre-match interview with the AFC Sudbury chairman who detailed the variety of blue-and-yellow cocktails he had been through earlier in the day - ledge.  

Without descending into hyperbole, AFC Sudbury are one of the worst teams to ever be televised, and I would include the Scottish Junior Cup Final in that.  

Not much in the way of upsets so far. Sunderland losing at home to Mansfield and Port Vale smashing Accrington Stanley 5-1 seem to be the picks. Halifax 7-4 Maidenhead would have been brilliant to watch.

Decent start to the Banbury vs Barrow game on ITV4.

On 05/11/2021 at 20:44, resk said:

This is the time of the year that the BBC completely loses the run of itself banging on about the magic of the cup.  Although I did enjoy the pre-match interview with the AFC Sudbury chairman who detailed the variety of blue-and-yellow cocktails he had been through earlier in the day - ledge.  

Without descending into hyperbole, AFC Sudbury are one of the worst teams to ever be televised, and I would include the Scottish Junior Cup Final in that.  

Got £67,500 TV money thought. Scottish clubs get £1,500 for being televised on BBC Scotland in the first couple of rounds of the Scottish Cup. Shows the contempt the BBc has for Scottish football and Scottish licence fee payers are subsidising English football

Not much in the way of upsets so far. Sunderland losing at home to Mansfield and Port Vale smashing Accrington Stanley 5-1 seem to be the picks. Halifax 7-4 Maidenhead would have been brilliant to watch.
Decent start to the Banbury vs Barrow game on ITV4.
On the bright side, whilst the Maidenhead Keeper conceded 7, I did notice that he also got an assist.

So every cloud....