The Scottish Cup 21-22

It's now getting very close to the time when this years competition formally starts by way of the Preliminary round draw. Many Clubs in this division will be taking part, and I hope that its success for all of them. If its not a success it'll certainly be an experience. 

I hope that the clubs, players, officials and supporters enjoy every minute of it - all of them have done a lot of hard work, spent time and money  and no doubt many different points of view have been debated. 

However, now the competition is almost here. The draw will soon be made and the ties will be played in 3 weeks.

Good fortune and the very best of luck to everyone involved.

5 hours ago, Auld duffer said:

Is there a definite date this week for the draw last I seen said it will be in week beginning 9th Aug it seems a bit vague

Best to keep an eye on the main Scottish Cup thread in the cups forum:

Best to keep an eye on the main Scottish Cup thread in the cups forum:

Cheers for that had a look although still not conclusive. All we know is this week
Its something thousands of people will look forward to so I'm still not sure why no exact date apart from week beginning 9th Aug

3 minutes ago, Auld duffer said:

Cheers for that had a look although still not conclusive. All we know is this week
Its something thousands of people will look forward to so I'm still not sure why no exact date apart from week beginning 9th Aug

Hossy87 has links to Newton Stewart who will have been told when the draw would be. If they're saying it's today then it's a safe bet that it's happening today. Either way it has been poorly promoted by the SFA.

Hossy87 has links to Newton Stewart who will have been told when the draw would be. If they're saying it's today then it's a safe bet that it's happening today. Either way it has been poorly promoted by the SFA.
Yeh definitely it should be one of the big moments of the season don't think it is too big a task for the SFA to let clubs know when the draw is

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

While that's undoubtedly true...

1 hour ago, Hossy87 said:

Yeah, it would appear I've made an arse of that Gordon - w/c 9th August 🤦🏻‍♂️

41 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

A ridiculous state of affairs.

Not that many years since the 1st/2nd round draws were made a big deal. Not only warned well in advance, but had a couple of good trips to Buchanan Galleries, filmed for tv with the Cup, then Edinburgh Castle the next year. Poor stuff this.

Not that many years since the 1st/2nd round draws were made a big deal. Not only warned well in advance, but had a couple of good trips to Buchanan Galleries, filmed for tv with the Cup, then Edinburgh Castle the next year. Poor stuff this.
Spot on! Clubs went through a lot of blood sweat and tears to get the SFA licence and now the big moment is shrouded in secrecy
Clubs could be posting on their social media and Web sites that the big Scottish Cup draw is happening, if we only knew when
These are the things that bring the punters in and can help clubs gain more sponsorship etc
Very poor show from the SFA

On 06/08/2021 at 23:00, Man from the East said:

It's now getting very close to the time when this years competition formally starts by way of the Preliminary round draw. Many Clubs in this division will be taking part, and I hope that its success for all of them. If its not a success it'll certainly be an experience. 

I hope that the clubs, players, officials and supporters enjoy every minute of it - all of them have done a lot of hard work, spent time and money  and no doubt many different points of view have been debated. 

However, now the competition is almost here. The draw will soon be made and the ties will be played in 3 weeks.

Good fortune and the very best of luck to everyone involved.

Anybody have any idea which EOS club has made the most appearances in the Scottish Cup. Or maybe putting a different question, which EOS Club has won the most Scottish Cup games??

Just wondering, thats all.

Edited by Malty Guy

On 09/08/2021 at 18:27, Malty Guy said:

Anybody have any idea which EOS club has made the most appearances in the Scottish Cup. Or maybe putting a different question, which EOS Club has won the most Scottish Cup games??

Had a quick look at Whitehill's record. 30 appearances, 43 ties (excluding replays) since their first in 1980. Only 13 wins though, and 13 draws, and only one win against SPFL opposition, 2-1 away to Albion Rovers in 1987.
Before 2007, clubs had to qualify for the Scottish by reaching the last 4 of the Qualifying Cup. After 2007 SFA members qualified automatically.

The great WW team of the mid 90s had some amazing ties as well as some cruel luck.
1993 - 3-1 up at Stranraer with 10 mins to go, drew 3-3, before losing the replay 4-0.
1995 - drew 0-0 with Montrose and lost the replay 5-2.
1996 - won 2-1 at Fraserburgh after a 2-2 draw and lost 3-0 to Celtic at Easter Road in Round 3.
1996-7 - Won 3-0 away to HL Elgin before losing a thriller at home to QoS 2-3 when the pitch had to be cleared of snow by volunteers including some of the players.
1999 - Drew 1-1 at home to Stenny. Kenny Miller was on loan from Hibs who weren't wanting him cup tied (or whatever). The winners were drawn away to Rangers so apparently Hibs were paid a decent sum (£8k?) to allow him to play. He scored both goals in a 2-0 win with WW missing a penalty (at 1-0 IIRC).

Some teams such as Spartans may have more wins. Appearances, maybe Gala.

Edited by The Mantis
Misunderstood 'appearances"

31 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Had a quick look at Whitehill's record. 47 appearances (ties, excluding replays) since their first in 1980. Only 13 wins though, and 13 draws, and only one win against SPFL opposition, 2-1 away to Albion Rovers in 1987.

The great WW team of the mid 90s had some amazing ties as well as some cruel luck.
1993 - 3-1 up at Stranraer with 10 mins to go, drew 3-3, before losing the replay 4-0.
1995 - drew 0-0 with Montrose and lost the replay 5-2.
1996 - won 2-1 at Fraserburgh after a 2-2 draw and lost 3-0 to Celtic at Easter Road in Round 3.
1996-7 - Won 3-0 away to HL Elgin before losing a thriller at home to QoS 2-3 when the pitch had to be cleared of snow by volunteers including some of the players.
1999 - Drew 1-1 at home to Stenny. Kenny Miller was on loan from Hibs who weren't wanting him cup tied (or whatever). The winners were drawn away to Rangers so apparently Hibs were paid a decent sum (£8k?) to allow him to play. He scored both goals in a 2-0 win with WW missing a penalty (at 1-0 IIRC).

Some teams such as Spartans may have more wins. Appearances, maybe Gala.

Thanks for that, WW certainly have taken part. Not too bad a record. 

2 hours ago, Malty Guy said:

Linlithgow Rose have won 20 Scottish Cup games, which I would guess might be the most of the current EoS clubs.

In total they've played 34 matches in 10 appearances, with (obviously) 10 defeats and 4 draws.

9 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Clubs have not yet been advised when the draw date is, only that it is this week.

The SFA website with dates of the rounds has been updated today to include the words "The preliminary round draw will take place on Thursday, 12 August" 

7 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The SFA website with dates of the rounds has been updated today to include the words "The preliminary round draw will take place on Thursday, 12 August" 

I'm told the SFA intranet has been temperamental today... every time i look its the same old stuff

48 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Linlithgow Rose have won 20 Scottish Cup games, which I would guess might be the most of the current EoS clubs.

In total they've played 34 matches in 10 appearances, with (obviously) 10 defeats and 4 draws.

20 out of 34 not a bad win record at all. Almost 60% win rate. Well done LR