English Football League 2021/22 Season - Playoffs

The supporters could have placed much more scrutiny on their moneybags owner who was putting together entirely unsustainable squads year after year. They can do little now because they didn't ask the tough questions years ago - from 2009 to 2019 when they were racking up losses - that would have shed light on their situation and possibly prevented this outcome from happening. 

Mel Morris bought a significant share in the club as far back as 2006, trusted by the fans as a local businessman and a genuine County supporter, a faith that continued to his eventual purchase of the club from the American Partners Group in 2015. The club had reported year on year losses as many other EFL clubs had over the same period.
Concerns amongst the support were audible but unremarkable given the situation across the board and the fact that they were within the FFP threshold (£39m cumulative- over a period of 3 years). Alarm bells started ringing however with a sudden announcement that he had sold the ground to one of his own holding companies for a staggering £80million in 2019 only to lease it back to the club, the cracks then truly started to appear.
The Governing body (The EFL) didn’t express any undue concerns until this happened, I’m honestly not sure what the fans could have done to avert this, even those close to Club were completely in the dark as to his (MM) intentions and the real trouble they were in. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but it’s a little late for that now. If Derby had beaten Villa in the 2019 play off, perhaps Morris might just have been able to cover his losses.

I think this article offers a reasonable view on the situation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/01/20/footballs-financial-lunacy-cannot-tackled-red-tape/

“It’s difficult not to conclude that we’ve seen gross EFL incompetence throughout this saga. A worthy governance institution should enforce rules in a timely manner and offer clarity. The FFP regulations are specifically supposed to ensure that members cannot get into these situations. On those grounds, the EFL has failed. While Derby supporters know that ultimate blame lies with Mel Morris, Derby South MP Margaret Beckett spoke for many in saying: “If Derby are to be liquidated, none of those involved will be forgiven.”

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Mel Morris bought a significant share in the club as far back as 2006, trusted by the fans as a local businessman and a genuine County supporter, a faith that continued to his eventual purchase of the club from the American Partners Group in 2015. The club had reported year on year losses as many other EFL clubs had over the same period.
Concerns amongst the support were audible but unremarkable given the situation across the board and the fact that they were within the FFP threshold (£39m cumulative- over a period of 3 years). Alarm bells started ringing however with a sudden announcement that he had sold the ground to one of his own holding companies for a staggering £80million in 2019 only to lease it back to the club, the cracks then truly started to appear.
The Governing body (The EFL) didn’t express any undue concerns until this happened, I’m honestly not sure what the fans could have done to avert this, even those close to Club were completely in the dark as to his (MM) intentions and the real trouble they were in. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but it’s a little late for that now.

It's not hindsight because Derby are not even remotely the first football club to spend more money than they earn and oh look, the backer now doesn't want to do it any more. It happened at Leeds, it happened at Portsmouth. 

That Derby fans - like almost every other fanbase - were willing to close their eyes and hope for the best because he was a fan is their failing. 

And of course if the EFL had stepped in to block Morris' activities - as the crocodile tears local representatives assert now - then Derby fans would have been the first to howl in outrage at such a disgraceful meddling with a good honest fan and provide screeds of deflection and whataboutery involving other clubs. 

If Derby had beaten Villa in the 2019 play off, perhaps Morris might just have been able to cover his losses

A business model that hinges solely on a coin-toss play-off match to not end in administration is not a credible one and deserves to fail. 

Edited by vikingTON

A business model that hinges solely on a coin-toss play-off match to not end in administration is not a credible one and deserves to fail. 

Perhaps that should have read, if Derby had beaten Villa in the play offs Morris might have been able to cover his tracks (awash with Premiership cash).
Being a local successful businessman and a fan bought him a certain amount of credibility and confidence, but it’s some time ago now that sections of the core support began to voice their disquiet. My point is that they didn’t know the true extent of the trouble that the club was in (many fans only in hindsight), what could they have been expected to do? The EFL accepted they were operating within FFP rules right up until 2019 when the real damage became apparent.

So the old dear who’s had a season book since the 60’s, the noisy family in their matching bobble hats and scarves, the guy who goes with his young son, the group of teenagers enjoying following their local team and their first sense of youthful freedom, the pals that meet up religiously every other Saturday for a couple of pre-match pints.... you get the picture, a traditional mixed support. They all should have known what was coming, they should all have been guarded, they all bear some responsibility for their club going down the toilet? I think that’s a little harsh.

9 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Perhaps that should have read, if Derby had beaten Villa in the play offs Morris might have been able to cover his tracks (awash with Premiership cash).
Being a local successful businessman and a fan bought him a certain amount of credibility and confidence, but it’s some time ago now that sections of the core support began to voice their disquiet. My point is that they didn’t know the true extent of the trouble that the club was in (many fans only in hindsight), what could they have been expected to do? The EFL accepted they were operating within FFP rules right up until 2019 when the real damage became apparent.

So the old dear who’s had a season book since the 60’s, the noisy family in their matching bobble hats and scarves, the guy who goes with his young son, the group of teenagers enjoying following their local team and their first sense of youthful freedom, the pals that meet up religiously every other Saturday for a couple of pre-match pints.... you get the picture, a traditional mixed support. They all should have known what was coming, they should all have been guarded, they all bear some responsibility for their club going down the toilet? I think that’s a little harsh.

When Derby were concealing their accounts the alarm bells for anyone with a brain should have been loud and clear.

The Premier League has created a situation where people can be tempted into betting the future of a club on winning the play-offs and it is that system and mindset that is a threat to the existence of football clubs.

Derby fans can't reasonably claim ignorance or innocence here. They knew what was going on. Everybody did. But the mindset is what has to change. Derby's fans are mainly dicks, so if they have to be the sacrificial lamb to force a proper re-think, so be it.

If Derby go bust and there's no re-think, so be it.

10 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Well what should be done, let them off because Granny and bobble hat will be upset?

They can still go and see The Derby playing Borrowash Victoria.

Derby fans should have wondered what the f**k was going on when they spent £3m on Nick Blackman.

Do you mean the Barbadian International Striker who had graced both Fir Park & Pittodrie!!?[emoji15].......... aye fair enough.

When Derby were concealing their accounts the alarm bells for anyone with a brain should have been loud and clear.
The Premier League has created a situation where people can be tempted into betting the future of a club on winning the play-offs and it is that system and mindset that is a threat to the existence of football clubs.
Derby fans can't reasonably claim ignorance or innocence here. They knew what was going on. Everybody did. But the mindset is what has to change. Derby's fans are mainly dicks, so if they have to be the sacrificial lamb to force a proper re-think, so be it.
If Derby go bust and there's no re-think, so be it.

It’s an interesting take for a Hearts supporter. Do you think rival fans would be justified in claiming your support deserved everything they got under Romanov because ‘most of your fans are dicks’?
Could ‘anyone with a brain’ see what was happening at Tynecastle?

On 22/01/2022 at 08:56, Clockwork said:

It’s an interesting take for a Hearts supporter. Do you think rival fans would be justified in claiming your support deserved everything they got under Romanov because ‘most of your fans are dicks’?
Could ‘anyone with a brain’ see what was happening at Tynecastle?

On 20/01/2022 at 09:34, VincentGuerin said:

As a Hearts supporter, there's an element of pot kettle black here, but I have no sympathy with the majority of Derby fans.

Maybe read more carefully.

I don't really see how it makes any difference who I support in terms of judging the Derby situation. It's just objectively true that it was obvious they were firstly cheating, and secondly risking their club.

You could argue that the prior experience of clubs like mine and plenty of others in the twenty-first century should have given the Derby fans a head start in questioning what was going on. But they didn't, they were essentially MM cheerleaders despite it being quite clear that they were sailing too close to the wind.

I think the impact of Derby being liquidated could be good for English football long-term. Derby fans will still have their club. This is well established now in football. They'll just start a new club and carry on. Maybe not having a stadium to play in and spending years building their way back will focus minds in the supports of similarly-sized clubs in England and lead to pressure for a better ownership model.

From what I can see - which isn't very much - the Wycombe game got stopped, tannoy announcements made and clubs releasing statements because MK Don's fans were singing that Adebayo Akinfenwa was a sex offender. 

It's gone on for years (the song, not Akinfenwa being a sex offender (as far as I know)). I'll have to be honest, it seems a very strange time to try and eradicate itm

27 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

From what I can see - which isn't very much - the Wycombe game got stopped, tannoy announcements made and clubs releasing statements because MK Don's fans were singing that Adebayo Akinfenwa was a sex offender. 

It's gone on for years (the song, not Akinfenwa being a sex offender (as far as I know)). I'll have to be honest, it seems a very strange time to try and eradicate itm

Nizzy was ahead of his time, to be honest though the powder fuelled shite that is deemed acceptable by the lads,lads,lads and their copycats is going to result in some harsh restrictions down here that will only affect people who just want to watch the game, because arseholes will always be arseholes irrespective. See Millwall FC and their inclusive community work vs their bigoted, racist fanbase as a prime example.

Meanwhile, up in Scotland, anything goes if you are an arsecheek lover, but woe betide you if your utterances are deemed impure otherwise.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Steve Cooper has a constant facial expression of someone lying in a dark room after the lights have been turned on.

ac123ca838fb098e770ff05a48fe535a.jpg

Poor guy really is unfortunate. Looks like he fell asleep lying too close to the fire and melted.

Derby's second goal was superb. It was made even better by VAR not being there to pick up the apparent offside and then disallowing it for a high boot. As a neutral I was delighted.