English Football League 2021/22 Season - Playoffs

Sadly unsurprising what’s happened at Derby, that the club is in such a state but football operates in a different universe to other industries.
For example; Club Captain Richard Keogh stays out on the randan with a couple of younger teammates after a weekday ‘team bonding’ session, they get absolutely hammered then drive home. Tom Lawrence smashes into the back of Mason Bennett’s motor with Keogh in the front. Both leave the scene of the accident before the Polis arrive with Keogh unconscious in the passenger seat. Keogh is so badly injured he’s out of action for 12 months, but nonchalantly announces that he is ‘prepared’ to see out his contract whilst he’s on the treatment table. The club are understandably pissed off with their Captain and demand a substantial cut in his weekly pay-packet. When he refuses to accept point blank, the club sack him on the grounds of gross misconduct and bringing the club into serious disrepute. In short Keogh wins his appeal and £2.3 MILLION plus costs.
Now you might argue the rights and wrongs of how the club went about dealing with an irresponsible senior player from a legal perspective but most people would be astounded at the whole outcome I think, as to what would probably have happened in the ‘real world’!?[emoji15]

Derby have been a financial disaster waiting to happen for years.

I note Wycombe are seeking legal advice because Derby have held off until the season has started to declare administration to avoid relegation.

Middlesbrough are also looking at legal advice because Derby Signed Waghorn from under them and few shouts of cheating their finances to land him also.

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Sadly unsurprising what’s happened at Derby, that the club is in such a state but football operates in a different universe to other industries.
For example; Club Captain Richard Keogh stays out on the randan with a couple of younger teammates after a weekday ‘team bonding’ session, they get absolutely hammered then drive home. Tom Lawrence smashes into the back of Mason Bennett’s motor with Keogh in the front. Both leave the scene of the accident before the Polis arrive with Keogh unconscious in the passenger seat. Keogh is so badly injured he’s out of action for 12 months, but nonchalantly announces that he is ‘prepared’ to see out his contract whilst he’s on the treatment table. The club are understandably pissed off with their Captain and demand a substantial cut in his weekly pay-packet. When he refuses to accept point blank, the club sack him on the grounds of gross misconduct and bringing the club into serious disrepute. In short Keogh wins his appeal and £2.3 MILLION plus costs.
Now you might argue the rights and wrongs of how the club went about dealing with an irresponsible senior player from a legal perspective but most people would be astounded at the whole outcome I think, as to what would probably have happened in the ‘real world’!?emoji15.png

Sorry, when exactly did Derby sack Tom Lawrence for being the person culpable in this incident? Oh that's right they didn't, because he wasn't crocked and they valued his contribution as a player. 

You really can't argue rights and wrongs then: Derby were indisputably in the wrong and so had to stump up the costs of wrongful dismissal. Which is also the case in the 'real world' when companies pick and choose nonsense reasons to fire contacted staff. 

I note Wycombe are seeking legal advice because Derby have held off until the season has started to declare administration to avoid relegation.

Middlesbrough are also looking at legal advice because Derby Signed Waghorn from under them and few shouts of cheating their finances to land him also.

Think most Derby fans are still bracing themselves for worse to come. No trust left at all with the owner or the appointed administrators *Quantuma. If there are any assets left to strip, Mel Morris will still want his cut. They hardly look like an investment opportunity in the current climate.

*MD Andrew Andronikou was responsible for the sale of Portsmouth FC following insolvency in 2010. They were back in administration less than two years later.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

Sorry, when exactly did Derby sack Tom Lawrence for being the person culpable in this incident? Oh that's right they didn't, because he wasn't crocked and they valued his contribution as a player. 

You really can't argue rights and wrongs then: Derby were indisputably in the wrong and so had to stump up the costs of wrongful dismissal. Which is also the case in the 'real world' when companies pick and choose nonsense reasons to fire contacted staff. 

Exactly. Keogh was a crock on his way out who magically found himself carrying the can for two sellable assets.

"Club Captain, bad show old boy, you've got to be made an example. Not you two..."

I have a cousin and uncle who are Derby season ticket holders, so it’s a shame for them but it’s been coming for a fairly long time I believe. Selling the stadium from the club to the owner was incredibly dodgy stuff, and given that their main striker is 35 year old Colin Kazim-Richards, they were probably going down anyway. 

You’re absolutely right, the law sided with the contracted player. The two younger players walked away with driving bans and community service hours. They should have been sacked too, they were lucky they weren’t in more serious trouble, if they had hit someone in such a drunken state.
That there cannot be any consideration of the part Keogh played in this whole sorry incident, is what I think many people (and the majority of Derby fans at the time) find galling. For a senior international pro and club captain, he bears no culpability whatsoever for his irresponsibility and lack of judgement. Out on the piss all day with your workmates, get seriously injured to the extent you cannot work for a whole year, then leave your employer with a £2.3m+ bill in compensation/damages. It doesn’t seem very ‘real world’ to me, but there you go.

Edited by Clockwork
gmr

On 23/09/2021 at 08:10, mizfit said:

I read about that a wee while ago

On 23/09/2021 at 09:40, Clockwork said:

You’re absolutely right, the law sided with the contracted player. The two younger players walked away with driving bans and community service hours. They should have been sacked too, they were lucky they weren’t in more serious trouble, if they had hit someone in such a drunken state.
That there cannot be any consideration of the part Keogh played in this whole sorry incident, is what I think many people (and the majority of Derby fans at the time) find galling. For a senior international pro and club captain, he bears no culpability whatsoever for his irresponsibility and lack of judgement. Out on the piss all day with your workmates, get seriously injured to the extent you cannot work for a whole year, then leave your employer with a £2.3m+ bill in compensation/damages. It doesn’t seem very ‘real world’ to me, but there you go.

Are you suggesting that people who go out drinking with their colleagues in their spare time should face disciplinary action from their employer? If I go out drinking tomorrow and end up being involved in an accident that isn't my fault, should I be potentially losing my job for getting hurt and being unable to work?

Keogh wasn't the one driving, he wasn't the one committing a legal offence here, so the very fact that the club treated him more harshly than the others makes it seem like a fairly cut and dried case of unfair dismissal. Fortuntely we live in a country where employees have legal rights in relation to unscrupulous employers such as Derby County, and when those employers overstep the mark like they did here they face consequences, which is exactly what happened.

Are you suggesting that people who go out drinking with their colleagues in their spare time should face disciplinary action from their employer? If I go out drinking tomorrow and end up being involved in an accident that isn't my fault, should I be potentially losing my job for getting hurt and being unable to work?
Keogh wasn't the one driving, he wasn't the one committing a legal offence here, so the very fact that the club treated him more harshly than the others makes it seem like a fairly cut and dried case of unfair dismissal. Fortuntely we live in a country where employees have legal rights in relation to unscrupulous employers such as Derby County, and when those employers overstep the mark like they did here they face consequences, which is exactly what happened.

And without any consideration of contributory negligence it seems.

Annoying game, could have been 3-0 the other way.  One of those jinx matches where every 50/50 goes against you.
Three at the back doesn't help though.

Absolutely, watched the extended highlights last night, incredible that Birmingham didn’t score![emoji15]