Albion Rovers -vs- Stenhousemuir

What's the best way to follow up a mediocre performance at home on the first day of the season? Why, a trip to take on our bogey side, baby!

There wasn't a lot to like about Stenhousemuir's showing against Stirling Albion last weekend - chances were at a premium, the ball spent a long time in the air and too many players failed to make a positive impact - and I'm hoping to see something a lot better at Cliftonhill tomorrow. I'd like to think Stephen Swift has more ideas up his sleeve than simply getting Ryan Marchall to pump it out to Robert Thomson on the left flank, and I want to see more from Ross Forbes and Nat Wedderburn in the middle of the park - I only really noticed the former was playing against the Binos whenever we won a set-piece, while the latter was cumbersome and didn't really influence the game.

I like what I've seen from the Rovers so far this season and I know we're going to be in for a difficult afternoon. They have energy and enthusiasm in abundance and we although we probably have better players, effort often beats talents, especially at this level. Brian Reid has recruited well and this side look a lot stronger than the team that started last year's campaign. I think Cammy Binnie is an astute piece of business and probably the best goalkeeper the manager could have signed in the circumstances.

I don't think we'll see any changes from the side that started against the Binos; I don't think we really have a lot of depth to make the alterations anyway, especially in central midfield.

- Robert Thomson - Tam Orr - Darren Christie -

- James Lyon - Nat Wedderburn - Ross Forbes -

- Jamie Mills - Nicky Jamieson - Sean Crighton - Ross Lyon -

- Ryan Marshall -

I'd be delighted with a win tomorrow but I've got a nagging feeling we'll lose this one. I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm not all that confident.

Pretty much concur with everything there. Hoping we click this week as with another tough away game in Edinburgh next Friday we could very easily find ourselves 0 from 9.

We can easily win this though.

Rovers 1-3 Wawas

Orr x2. James Lyon thunderbolt & a late goal from Euan O'reilly on the break to round off a nice afternoon.

I think Stenny have made the most new signings for any of the clubs in L2 so I’m hoping they still take time to gel but they should be there or there abouts come the end of the season. Swifty has progressed each club he has managed at. 
Rovers on the face of it have a really good blend of the youth and experience - Brian Reid has made some really good signings. What impresses me about them is the communication all over the pitch is excellent - the older pros are always talking the youngsters through the game. The only thing is it’s a small squad and the budget dictates that but I think there will be room for loan deals as and when needed. 
If we can keep a clean sheet again then that’s all good but I think this will end 1-1.

Edited by Vodka Vic

I get the whole bogey team stuff, and we do have a great record against some really good Stenhousemuir teams.

However, there's another 'bogey' at play - Rovers and expectation. We were really good last week, but have a look at the Rovers Message Board and you'll see that most people expect us to win and handsomely. That never tends to end well for Rovers - we perform best when least expected, so I'm going to go for 0-1 and a wee reality check.

I do still think we'll be nowhere near the Danger Zone this year, but we're not the finished article yet.

Hope I'm wrong!

Wasn't there today but losing a late goal to draw always a bit of a sour note even though after 48 mins a point would have been welcomed.

Difficult place to go so take the point and onto Edinburgh, who we will beat without too much trouble.

After Christie came on the game turned on its head. Should have been out of sight before the 90th minute arrived. And what the feck were we doing in the lead up to that goal. Defending is a real problem for this team.

Would probably have taken a point before the game so not a disaster. And good to see Thomson and Orr get off the mark. Great cameo from Christie.  Wish we had signed the Albion Rovers keeper.

A fair result in the end. Not a lot of quality on display in fact all the quality was confined to the four goals in what was an entertaining enough game.

Stenny will be kicking themselves as they were definitely on the ascendancy when they scored the second. Swifty in his post match comments said they should be coming to places like Cliftonhill and taking the three points- the probably should given the budget they have. The days of an easy 3 points at Coatbridge are gone.

Absolutely magic finish from Div Wilson -I hope Graeme Smith who was arguing with Rovers officials during the 2nd half enjoyed it- an absolute top drawer walloper of a boy GIRUY.

Ref was of the most infuriating sort- blew his whistle before the softest of fouls and then miss the most blatant of fouls.

Another toughy next week.

Edited by Vodka Vic

A sore one for sure that. I just couldn't see us dropping points after going in front and dominating the last period of the game.

Credit to Albion Rovers though they kept battling away and it looked a decent strike for the winner but again our keeper is absolutely nowhere. I don't remember him making a really good save since he's been here and that's an ongoing worry. Its always a battle at Cliftonhill and they have a wee bit more quality than they usually have so no one will like going there this season.

As for us, we need to reach those standards consistently that we showed in the last half an hour. That means Forbes coming out of the team and O'Reilly, Christie or Graham coming in. Christie was absolutely sensational and turned the game on its head whilst O'Reilly showed what he's all about for the first time. Full of energy and commitment that last half hour, if intensity really is our identity then we can't continue to be plodding along in midfield any longer.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Credit to Albion Rovers though they kept battling away and it looked a decent strike for the winner but again our keeper is absolutely nowhere. I don't remember him making a really good save since he's been here and that's an ongoing worry.

Ryan Marshall made a decent save to deny Curtis Main in our League Cup defeat to St Mirren, to be fair to him, but other than that I haven't seen much to suggest he's any good. He seemed to completely miss the flight on Div Wilson's strike and allowed it to loop right over him and into the net. Chuck in his anxiousness from dealing with cross balls and you've got a goalie you can't really trust.

Hard to tell from the highlights if Stenhousemuir were any good but Darren Christie's cross in for Robert Thomson was lovely. I didn't really expect much from a 33-year-old forward with just a handful of SPFL appearances under his belt but he's looked really exciting coming off the bench. I was disappointed with his contribution against Stirling Albion but he's been handy in most other games.

Nicky Jamieson didn't look to convincing and it's disappointing, but not surprising, to read Ross Forbes didn't do all that much before being hooked. With Stephen Swift saying he's going to change things around against Dundee United B on Tuesday night, I wonder if Forbes will be benched and someone like Euan O'Reilly or Michael Anderson will come in ahead of him. Wouldn't mind seeing Davie Wilson get a start in midweek too.

Marshall gives me the fear but I’ve watched the goal a few times and I’m not convinced he could do much about it. Maybe he was too far off his line but the arc of the ball made it difficult for him. I’d probably be asking why Adam Brown passed the ball to an Albion player twice in the in build up to the goal. The conclusion was just typical Stenhousemuir.