St Johnstone vs Motherwell, Sunday 8 August, 2021

Disappointing. Those first two draws could have so easily been turned into wins with a bit more composure in front of goal. Probably a better all-round performance than we saw during the early stages of last season, but cancelled out by those same old issues. Thankfully it looks like we're moving to amend it sooner this time around. 

Edited by The Real Saints

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

He put in a cross for Watt chance to make it 1-2.

Anyone else hoping Grimmy is back to full fitness soon.

You are correct actually. With that Tony Watt missed his usual sitter too.

I think we need competition for RB

Draw probably fair, tbh.

Same old story for us on the ball really, build up play is great and we can really keep possession well these days, but there's just not enough end product. May not dispatching his chance was disappointing, not even testing the keeper was criminal. We just don't test the keeper enough in games like this.

Motherwell had the best chances of the match and Clark made at least 2 great saves, plus there was a stramash we got lucky on, and Watt had a free shot besides from his goal.

I still worry about our CM options besides McCann, but know the reaction saying that will get.

If O'Donnell makes the Scotland squad after that then we all have hope. Every pass the simplest one he could find, never takes his man on, and 3 times so slow he had no option but to drag his man down despite starting with a couple of yards head start.

Would definitely have taken that prior to kick off, but a bit disappointed after the way we played.

We often looked comfortably better in possession than Motherwell, though they did have more clear cut attempts on goal.

The way we keep the ball and build play through midfield is great to watch and our defence is mostly very reliable as we know.

But we are still ineffective around the opposition box, often getting into good positions with little end product. May had a great opening to get a shot at goal but dithered, MOH trundled one wide from a great shooting position and several other half openings.

If we can sort it out we could be quite a force this season.

I’m pretty happy with our midfield options and thought Craig was good for about 70 minutes, maybe should have been subbed before he did. Always takes him a little longer to get up to speed at his age and I thought he did well despite that. Tough for the manager with no Bryson or Gilmour to bring in who probably would have suited the game a little more.

Game summed up by the fact that all of our centre midfielders for their flaws and all of our centre halves would walk into Motherwell’s team (and Hayden Muller would get into CB or CM). But Motherwell have better strikers than us. Really disappointed with how May approached his early chance, after so many games without scoring he was given a free hit with no one in front of him and he takes way too long.

All in all, job done and we’re off the mark too. If an out and out striker is within our reach we should sign them and jettison Hendry as for all Kane and May offer I don’t think they will score enough. Middleton and this Finnish guy look like they’ll be good options in the Wotherspoon/MOH roles.

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't think SOD made any decent forward passes again this week

I don't know if it's his international player status (he's never international class), but he seems to evade a lot of the flak and criticism in certain quarters. He's a big handsome b*****d and gives 100%, but a lot of the time he's just not very good. 

On the game itself, got to be happy coming away with a draw. We had our chances, none more so than Watt's 2nd effort, where if he'd gone with his left foot instead of his right, we could have done an absolute job on Saints and come back down the road with all 3pts. For the most part we were 2nd best all over the park and cut open worryingly easily. Vast improvements required, but at least we're off the mark with a point on the board.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We often looked comfortably better in possession than Motherwell, though they did have more clear cut attempts on goal.

That's where I'm at. Pleased with much of what we did but you can't argue that Clark had to make a good number of saves. Most were maybe from set plays but still need to be made.

Bring on the Turks.

I'm happy enough with a point and thought it was about right in the end.

We're very much a work in progress and still look a bit rough round the edges where as Saints look a far more settled, cohesive unit. Having said that, I thought we gave as good as we got for large spells and missed at least 3 excellent chances. 

Saints obviously tired 2nd half but it was nice to see our bench used to good effect- it was something that cost us last week. A lovely goal, great pick out by Lawless and an empathic finish by Watt.

Get Ojala up to speed, get another first choice midfielder in the building and possibly(being greedy) another forward option and I'll be fairly happy with how we're shaping up come the end of the window. Long way to go but we've already come on leaps and bounds since that Airdrie debacle only a few weeks ago.

Edited by Casagolda

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I know why he did what he did but I'd have preferred Middleton being left on and Spoony taken off. MOH offered very little when he came on.

Was saying the same. Glen looked up for scoring and thought he was our best chance to nick one, and it's not as if he needed to be kept fresh for Thursday. 

Spoony looked tired (a few did to be fair) and was on a yellow and was an obvious sub for me. Would like to see Middleton, MOH and Kane as a front 3 at some point.

Was impressed by Muller today, thought he was really decent and looks a versatile player.

Middleton slotted right in and was like he’d never been away. Absolute delight to watch.

Clark had an absolute stormer, couldn’t do anything about the equaliser but had pulled off some fantastic saves in the lead up.

O’Donnell though, f**k me he was brutal. 2nd to most balls and resorted to pulling people to the ground. He was rattled by some of the booing and lost confidence as the game went on.

Frustrating to know the game could’ve been wrapped up at half time. When we click up front I feel like we’re due to rip someone apart.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

How did our new signings do? Not hearing much about KVV - quiet game?

Was expecting fireworks after the pre-match chat in the match thread but he was anonymous. Couldn't get anything from our CBs.

Woolery looks like there might be a player there but nothing special. He was more involved in the game. 

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

He put in a cross for Watt chance to make it 1-2.

Anyone else hoping Grimmy is back to full fitness soon.

I’d you think GA will drop the club captain anytime soon that isn’t forced upon him you’re onto plums

Edited by Kapowzer

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

O’Donnell though, f**k me he was brutal. 2nd to most balls and resorted to pulling people to the ground. He was rattled by some of the booing and lost confidence as the game went on.

A non city team having an internationalist and you’d think you’d be all over it .... negativo

Someone teased us that Sunderland were muted to be interested and £500k was floated.

I doff my cap to you sir, quality trolling

A non city team having an internationalist and you’d think you’d be all over it .... negativo
Someone teased us that Sunderland were muted to be interested and £500k was floated.
I doff my cap to you sir, quality trolling

Whit?