St Johnstone vs Motherwell, Sunday 8 August, 2021

Less than 72 hours after the heroics of Istanbul, Saints play their first competitive home fixture in front of fans since March of last year.

A real shame only 2,500 fans are permitted but that will hopefully all change come next Thursday.

Probably resigned to some tough league results this month given the European schedule but you don't secure a league placing at this stage of the season, we should know that better than anyone. It does make not picking up the three points last Saturday a bit frustrating though. 

Callum Davidson very much of the mindset that he needs his squad peaking come May so will always err on side of caution when it comes to fitness and expect there will be a good few changes for this game. 

Expect the back three unit will remain in place but at least in Muller we actually have a fourth centre back in the squad this season if required. 

Clark

Kerr - Gordon - McCart

Brown - McCann - Ballantyne - Craig - Booth 

Hendry - May

Saints to rest players for the big one on Thursday?

10 of our first 11 picks itself at the moment with the only question being who partners the new boy at centre back. We badly need new signings as our bench at the moment is weak AF.

Our record in Perth ain’t great but I fancy a 1-1 on Sunday.

Get the Under 18s out for this game, St Johnstone. Do it for Scottish Football. Save the big guns for Thursday.

Absolutely sensational result last night guys. Genuinely delighted for you, what a year! 

Hopefully we can take advantage of St Johnstone putting absolutely fucking everything into last night and pick up the three points here. A point, however  wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

A superb result for St Johnstone last night. Rode the expected storm early on and grew into the game. Defended as if their lives depended on it, and also had some good spells themselves. A thoroughly deserved draw.

Would imagine the energy levels, along with the heat and humidity in Turkey last night would have been draining for the players, and expect Davidson will make a couple of changes with them having a real chance of progressing in the return leg next week.

For us, last weeks positive showing against Hibs was pleasant surprise, compared to what many of us expected. This year's golden boot winner in waiting, Kevin Van Veen, was unplayable at times and will give most defences in the league a torrid afternoon, while young Slattery, when he's fully up to speed, is going to be a real gem in midfield. I only hope our new centre half can come in and shore things up at the back.

With Saints form over the past year I'd normally be delighted with a point, but with their exertions last night, and one eye on their return leg next Thursday, I'm hopeful of a narrow away win.

Either way, Saints fans, enjoy big box office Kev up close and personal. It's some show.

Said this last night to folk, but for me this game is almost a free hit and a chance for some of the reserves and bit part players to show they're worthy of being in the squad.

I'd imagine May and Hendry will both play, Brown, Booth and Muller all probably get game time. Same with Liam Craig. So you're potentially looking at 6/7 changes as a minimum, but I guess the beauty of this saints squad is that every player is so well drilled in their role that they can slot in. 

If I was a betting man, I'd say Motherwell win solely based on last nights tough exertions, but lets be honest nothing surprises me with this saints squad any more. 

As others have said, unless we have a couple of surprise signings you'd think it'd be pretty much the same side that should have beat Hibs on Sunday.

The only question is whether Ojala comes in at CB and who he takes the place of if so.

Fair play to Saints that was some result last night.

Would absolutely take a draw given we're still a massive work in in progress at the moment and Saints, even if they're playing their reserves, have a settled squad and system.

Edited by capt_oats

In all seriousness, think this is a good chance to get more minutes into legs.

No idea how players are in terms of fitness etc., but think...

Clark

Brown - Kerr - Gordon - McCart - Booth

McCann - Craig - Ballantyne 

Middleton - May

Would do me tbh. Booth, Craig, and May get at least an hour ahead of Thursday, while Davidson and Kane get to rest their legs after last night. If Middleton isn't in/ready, and Vertainen isn't in/ready, then Hendry comes in there and it's a more traditional two.

Ballantyne feels the most natural replacement for Wotherspoon, to me.

I'm not sure I buy into teams being tired after a result like that last night regardless of heat and travel - Saints will rightly be buzzing and even if a lot of changes are made with an eyo to Thursday, you'd think there is a bit of extra motivation for those coming in. 

It's incredibly early in the season but this feels like quite a pivotal game for us. We came out of last week's loss with a lot of credit and there has been very little negativity given the nature of the game and a couple of individual performances. If we can take something on Sunday (and I'd take our first point right now), it keeps things moving in the right direction as we integrate Ojala and get Slattery and Donnelly up to speed - another loss begins to hurt the confidence and gets the doom posters rubbing their hands.

Shame we can't be there but I'm most interested to see if KVV can follow up last week with a halfway decent performance against a typically better organised team than Hibs as he simply can't play like that every week - his consistency is going to be a big factor in our season.

Trying my best not to imagine an odd goal defeat after being ahead.

26 minutes ago, Swello said:

Trying my best not to imagine an odd goal defeat after being ahead.

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

St Johnstone 2 (Rooney' 38 , Craig' 87) Motherwell 1 (Watt '23)

f**k Sake

41 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

St Johnstone 2 (Rooney' 38 , Craig' 87) Motherwell 1 (Watt '23)

A man that knows his history. 

Edit; We'll concede but win, IMO.

Edited by thisGRAEME

Playing in that heat, working a lot without the ball, the full recovery before Thursday night is the priority, so got to use the squad as others have said.  Wouldn't be shocked to see Parish start in goals.  Swap the wing backs, rest Murray, Spoony, MOH, McCann and Kane.

Bring in Brown, Booth, Craig, Gilmour (If Bryson is unfit), Ballantyne, Hendry and May.  Will benefit us longer term getting games into squad players.  Or other forwards if we've got new signings in.

A draw would be a good result for us, a win would be a tremendous scoreline.

Given what's in store next Thursday, this game is pretty small fry in the grand scheme of things. A win would be lovely but I think it'll be tough after such an intense game on Thursday past. Make any required changes, get through the game without any injuries and I'll be happy to be honest.

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

That’s a joke. How much was it last season? I think I’ll just listen to it on the radio.

Shocking price. £10-12 is the bracket all clubs should be charging. It's hardly Sky multi camera coverage and the streaming costs surely aren't overtly high.

Hesgoal and IPTV are your friends.

Shocking price. £10-12 is the bracket all clubs should be charging. It's hardly Sky multi camera coverage and the streaming costs surely aren't overtly high.
Hesgoal and IPTV are your friends.

I’m sure overpriced Livingston and the Glasgow p***ks were the only clubs I didn’t ppv last season.