The Binos v Kelty Hearts

We were absolutely woeful today, for all the positives in the League Cup and Stenhousemuir, they all went out the window.

Firstly, I’ll never understand, when you have a front line of Bikey, Flanagan, Carrick and later in the game Heaver, the tactic is to hit them with long high balls, diagonal long balls and 10-15 yard chipped high balls. Then throw in the fact that Kelty have 2 Centre Backs that, let’s be honest are better than this level, but are strong in the air. I didn’t see 1 ball down the channel in the whole 90 minutes to play to our players strengths, why?? I’m no master tactical mind and I’m no football manager, but I really struggle to get my head around this.

Our ball retention today looked like a team low in confidence, but we don’t look like a team low in confidence. Time and time and time and time again, the ball was given back to Kelty, or Blair Currie in goals would shell it out the park. If we can’t keep hold of the ball again, then we can once again forget about challenging Kelty and co in the league because it’s not happening.

I’m not one for criticising individuals publicly but Kurtis Roberts was once again dreadful and Blair Currie has gifted 2 if not 3 of those goals. I honestly can not believe KR has chosen him over Cammy Binnie, that really is a decision that I find baffling.

The First Goal is a lovely header but it’s in an area where a solid keeper collects the ball, the second he is hesitant in getting out, which allows Cardle to just nip in (but who tracked the run?) and the third, his positioning was well off before the Free Kick was struck, and that’s without even mentioning his distribution.

I heard a good number of supporters saying we need a striker, we do, but if we can’t get the basics right then we could have the worlds best and he be totally ineffective, Bikey didn’t stand a chance today through no fault of his own.

It’ll be interesting to see what KR says tonight, the “we all need to look at ourselves, myself included” line is wearing thin when it comes to Home performances, he’s not entirely to blame, and it’s too early to press the panic button, but if this continues then it’s going to be a mirror image of previous seasons.

Kelty deserved the win, it’s just bitterly disappointing how they got it.

Echo previous comments by Albion fans, Kelty won at a canter, we simply were not at the races today and for a team who have aspirations of getting out of this f##king league thats shocking. Our home form in the League has been awful and today it was much the same. Let’s hope for a better performance next week at Annan. Who by the way won at Stranraer.

I have to say Kelty must have thought Christmas had come early.

Against Cove the Albion played a high line. It worked. They did the same for the rest of the League Cup ties, it worked. Fans were enjoying the style of football on show. They never allowed Stennie to get into gear last week and all looked good.

Why then against Kelty did the manager set up the team to play so deep. Could be the players were forced back because they were up against a superior team but I don't think so. Hearts are top of the Premier league yet we made them look ordinary at times because of the pressing game we were playing.

Lets face facts, the manager got his tactics wrong, allowing Kelty to stroll through the game.

His team selection didn't help. Bikey is not a target man, Carrick is wasted playing wide. An earlier poster spotted what was obvious to everyone in the ground. Swap them over and use Bikeys skill and pace to create chances.

Hopefully lessons will be learned.

11 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I think this result just confirmed what we were all thinking. Kelty will win the league at a canter and the rest are playing for play off places.

Really?  I think they will struggle against the big team on Saturday.  So far a class above the rest.

You have played two poor teams by all accounts. Nobody in this league can match what Kelty have in attacking areas let's be honest.

Austin hasn't even been in the squad yet when they get that Cardle-Austin-Higgy trio on the park its just far too good for anyone at this level.

Guest mr_malcolm
You have played two poor teams by all accounts. Nobody in this league can match what Kelty have in attacking areas let's be honest.
Austin hasn't even been in the squad yet when they get that Cardle-Austin-Higgy trio on the park its just far too good for anyone at this level.

You’re probably right but we shall see

19 hours ago, rhliston said:

Echo previous comments by Albion fans, Kelty won at a canter, we simply were not at the races today and for a team who have aspirations of getting out of this f##king league thats shocking. Our home form in the League has been awful and today it was much the same. Let’s hope for a better performance next week at Annan. Who by the way won at Stranraer.

Wrong team wrong tactics, played into keltys hands, no balance in the team, one dimension attacking kick it long hope bikey gets onto it, bring back the teams that pressed cove and inverness, 

1 hour ago, Shoogs73 said:

Wrong team wrong tactics, played into keltys hands, no balance in the team, one dimension attacking kick it long hope bikey gets onto it, bring back the teams that pressed cove and inverness, 

Don't tell me the Head of Performance and Technical Analysis as well as the Head of Scouting gave bum steers to the manager for this game.

KR said we didn't play our pressing game that brought success in previous games but perhaps Kelty out foxed us on the day.

I think we missed Mackin up front and Leitch in midfield. I'm not sure that Carrick is the player we all hoped he would be. He looked knackered when he came off.

Btw, what a wee dick Cardle is.