Immigrants of P&B

Torpar

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Obviously no where near as well travelled in the states as you, but i love how the americans just dont have a clue where you’re from with the accent thing, just completely baffles them. Ive even been complimented on how good my English is. 
I quite like small town America. Id imagine if you were a single man the American ladies would be all about the scottish accent.

I've been asked if I'm Irish, Australian, and Russian, and I've also been told my English is amazing. And the last bit is spot on.

1 hour ago, MSU said:

I've been asked if I'm Irish, Australian, and Russian, and I've also been told my English is amazing. And the last bit is spot on.

Had all of those. Also Haitian, which was somewhat confusing given I’m still that Scottish shade somewhere between pale blue and corned beef. 

7 hours ago, EH75 said:

Something else I miss is a draught pint of Tennents. Which is completely ridiculous because I know its chemical pish water and I rarely drunk it when I lived in Scotland but now because I can't get it I make a point of drinking almost exclusively whenever I do go home.

Over 18 months now since the drink of the gods last touched my lips. I’m due back in October for my brothers stag do. If it happens this time(postponed for obvious reasons before) I think I will shun the stag do, go to Wellpark and just dive in.

1 hour ago, MSU said:

I get asked quite often if I am Dutch. Usually when I have been speaking German…

1 hour ago, MSU said:

Yanks are thick as f**k though.  Last time I was working in what I suspect is the same office you moved to in Michigan someone asked me how long it used to take me to get to the UK from Scotland every day.

9 hours ago, Dolf said:

While working in Virginia on a massive construction job I often had to listen to the Americans around me bad mouth all the foreigners (said job and all construction over here would grind to a halt without foreigners) and wish they all went "home"

When I'd point out that I was an immigrant I was told on more than one occasion that I didn't count

Presumably because I'm white and speak English but I never hung around long enough to find out 

Yeah, I lived in the US when the World Trade Center buildings were attacked, and it was alarming how quickly a fair number of people turned into fierce balls of race hate, with a side portion of kicking all the immigrants out. I also pointed out that would include me, and was told that I didn't count because "you're on our side". Wasn't quite brave enough to say I had reservations on that point.

It was amazing how many people briefly thought the US in general was at risk of attack on that day. People staying home from work/school because they thought their wee hometown was about to be invaded by Arab terrorists. Makes you realise how a ludicrous film like Red Dawn can exist and be taken seriously.

40 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Yanks are thick as f**k though.  Last time I was working in what I suspect is the same office you moved to in Michigan someone asked me how long it used to take me to get to the UK from Scotland every day.

I met quite a few people who didn't know Scotland was part of the UK (UK/Britain being synonyms for England), and a few who had no idea where we were. A bank teller clearly got us mixed up with Switzerland as he asked me if I knew how to yodel, but at least had the decency to look embarrassed about it.

It's a bit shit but, really, how many people from African/Asian countries must come here and be peeved by our total ignorance of where they came from.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, I lived in the US when the World Trade Center buildings were attacked, and it was alarming how quickly a fair number of people turned into fierce balls of race hate, with a side portion of kicking all the immigrants out. I also pointed out that would include me, and was told that I didn't count because "you're on our side". Wasn't quite brave enough to say I had reservations on that point.

Apparently there was some Native American chief who said he would be delighted if ALL the immigrants left.  Irony.  🙂

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It was amazing how many people briefly thought the US in general was at risk of attack on that day. People staying home from work/school because they thought their wee hometown was about to be invaded by Arab terrorists. Makes you realise how a ludicrous film like Red Dawn can exist and be taken seriously.

I met quite a few people who didn't know Scotland was part of the UK (UK/Britain being synonyms for England), and a few who had no idea where we were. A bank teller clearly got us mixed up with Switzerland as he asked me if I knew how to yodel, but at least had the decency to look embarrassed about it.

It's a bit shit but, really, how many people from African/Asian countries must come here and be peeved by our total ignorance of where they came from.

I think we have a basic grasp of geography, more than the average American at least.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

I get asked quite often if I am Dutch. Usually when I have been speaking German…

Despite not having lived in Scotland for 30 years, I still have a strong west-coast accent. Have been asked a good few times as to whether I'm Dutch.

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

The Tennents you get in Canada (and the Eastern US) is some weird 5%ABV stuff that only goes for export. I’ve had it canned in Miami and it wasn’t great. Supposedly there’s a boozer in Des Moines, Iowa, that has the proper stuff. 

True for the canned stuff, it goes to Oz aswell going by the deposit descriptions on the cans

I'm led to believe that the stuff on tap is the real stuff

The Cat N Fiddle in Calgary had it on tap and from what I recall it was pretty similar tasting...although the amount of craft brew popping up in Western Canada right now means I drink tonnes of different stuff every time I'm in a pub, Tennents is the furthest thing from my mind :lol: 

30 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

True for the canned stuff, it goes to Oz aswell going by the deposit descriptions on the cans

I'm led to believe that the stuff on tap is the real stuff

The Cat N Fiddle in Calgary had it on tap and from what I recall it was pretty similar tasting...although the amount of craft brew popping up in Western Canada right now means I drink tonnes of different stuff every time I'm in a pub, Tennents is the furthest thing from my mind :lol: 

Aye, same. There’s one Scottish boozer in Chicago, the Duke of Perth - they’ve got a load of Belhaven on draft but I very rarely go. The place I *do* go a lot for Scottish stuff is Delilah’s - wee scuzzy punk bar that got best whisky bar in the world 2018; they literally have over 800 bottles behind the bar. Every time I get asked if I want to open a tab I make it clear I’ll pay for each drink individually and tip generously but f**k that because I could walk out of there $300 lighter without much effort. And that’s with $3 bottles of High Life as a chaser. 

ETA - and there’s a lot to be said for a $6 bottle of Dug 

947C5DD9-5DF5-43BA-B04A-BBBC7F0BEE76.jpeg

Edited by carpetmonster

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I wonder if South Americans think Brits are thick because we don’t know what countries surround Guyana.

Fucking delighted with myself that I knew Suriname was one of them. Slightly less happy that I thought French Guiana might have been another.

Utterly seething to have missed out those obscure outposts of civilisation Brazil and Venezuela  :angry:

19 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Aye, same. There’s one Scottish boozer in Chicago, the Duke of Perth - they’ve got a load of Belhaven on draft but I very rarely go. The place I *do* go a lot for Scottish stuff is Delilah’s - wee scuzzy punk bar that got best whisky bar in the world 2018; they literally have over 800 bottles behind the bar. Every time I get asked if I want to open a tab I make it clear I’ll pay for each drink individually and tip generously but f**k that because I could walk out of there $300 lighter without much effort. And that’s with $3 bottles of High Life as a chaser. 

947C5DD9-5DF5-43BA-B04A-BBBC7F0BEE76.jpeg

Hope they do Orange

4 hours ago, Left Back said:

I've also been asked that question in that office, which now makes me wonder if it was asked by the same person.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Fond memories of a Macallan 25 at the Omni Hotel in Chicago a few years ago and then a Highland Park 25. The tab on that one, with tip, was $200.

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I'll need to keep this in mind next time I'm in Chicago! I do love a pint of Best it has to be said, haven't actually checked if any of the "scottish" boozers here actually have that....it is fairly common to see Newky Brown, Kilkenny and Boddingtons around places though

Although I do much prefer Texas...only $3 for a bottle of Dug there out of the gas station

18 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

I'll need to keep this in mind next time I'm in Chicago! I do love a pint of Best it has to be said, haven't actually checked if any of the "scottish" boozers here actually have that....it is fairly common to see Newky Brown, Kilkenny and Boddingtons around places though

Although I do much prefer Texas...only $3 for a bottle of Dug there out of the gas station

It’s on Halsted and Diversey-ish - it’s a 5 minute hoof from Diversey brown line station. And aye, she bought it in a yuppie neighborhood after an acupuncture session, I’m sure it would’ve been a couple of bucks cheaper from a place in Humboldt Park with bars on the windows and a Western Union sign.