Immigrants of P&B

Torpar

1 minute ago, Marten said:

Well, as an immigrant TO Scotland I have gone in a different direction obviously, but I'll add my experiences here too.

I left The Netherlands back in 2009, I went to England (Darlington) for work reasons. It was purely for work reasons as my job in The Netherlands wasn't going to last due to financial trouble of the company I'm in. As languages are my strong point (German second language, more or less bilingual, also speaking English (obviously) & French), opportunities for me in the UK are better than in The Netherlands. After a year in Darlington I ended up in Derby where I stayed for 7 years, in 2017 I then moved to Scotland. I am much happier here then I was the last years in England. Especially after the Brexit-vote, I regularly got negative reactions when people heard my foreign accent in Derby. Some experiences weren't exactly nice. People up here are much friendlier and Scotland is a beautiful place. In my opinion, many Scots are too negative about their country as it's a great place to live. I don't miss much about The Netherlands other than friends and family (especially now as it's been so long!).

I can't see myself moving back to The Netherlands as I much prefer Scotland. I could see myself moving within Scotland one day, but that's about it.

It's much quicker for me to get to Amsterdam from Inverness than it is to Edinburgh or Glasgow, and not much more expensive than the full train price. Not sure what that's got to do with anything, but there, I've said it.

49 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

First time I've have every wrote it down, and only my 2 sisters know the story.  It felt very unreal. (not sure that's the best word). Surreal.

Much appreciated thanks to everyone, it's Friday work has finished I'm 2 pints down (real reason I moved east, you can drink earlier).

But for real here, anyone want to PM me more about helping the Hill Tribes children of Thailand, you are more than welcome.  I really never thought you c***s were that soft, like me.....

How did you cope with the language barrier Slippery?

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's much quicker for me to get to Amsterdam from Inverness than it is to Edinburgh or Glasgow, and not much more expensive than the full train price. Not sure what that's got to do with anything, but there, I've said it.

Although Amsterdam isn't really much, I greatly prefer both Glasgow & Edinburgh.

18 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Came to Thailand in 2008 to live in a temple and learn about Buddhism, during this 1 month stay, the temple was  helping to built a school for the hill tribe children, that are not legally Thai to get them into the system of education and away from the prostitution and drugs trade.  A cycle that has destroyed there lives for decades.

I loved it and came back for an extra 3 months, with being back in Scotland for about 1 week.  On my second trip, I meet a woman in her 50's at a laundrette in the town of Singburi.  She said to me that she would do my washing for me and I can go and get something to eat. I thought, that's sound good to me.  On my return, she handed me 1000 baht and explained that it was in one of my pockets.  Me being a good c**t, gave her  the 1000 baht and told her to treat herself and family.  She was a little embarrassed and refused, just at that time her son walked it to pick her up (I didn't know it was her son at the time).  He could speak a little English, and I explain it to him, that I would prefer she took the money....anyway, she ordered that I come to her house that evening for a meal, that she will prepare.

I got picked up from the temple are around 18:00 and drove off into the wilderness to this little house in the farmlands/paddy fields.  The house was full of the family members, I meet my wife for the first time, it was the woman's daughter. 

I married her 3 years latter and now have 3 kids.   

I still go back to the school now and again to drop of boxes of sweeties or ice cream, none of the children are the same as when I helped there back in the day, they have all grown up, but it does give me a massive warm glow inside, when I'm there.  I also take my kids and wife with me.  Good for my kids to see  where it all began for me in Thailand.

I only ever returned back to Scotland back in 2010, to fix some financial stuff and sell my house, never looked back. 

Maybe the best thing I've read on P&B 👍

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Short version for me -

Dundee (30 years) - Manchester (9 years) - Hong Kong (10 years) - Philippines (6 years and counting).  Lost a wife along the way, found another one as well as a son.   

Almost as much time out of Scotland as in so can't really say I miss anything that much - never found the need to get emergency supplies of Lorne sausage or bridies flown out t.b.h.  Neither love nor hate the weather out here, has its pros and cons but overall better.  Someone else mentioned the Scottish negativity, I do notice that us Scots can be a tad on the "Why" side than the "Why not" so probably fair.  

Used to go back home once a year, then once every other - haven't made it back for 10 now for various reasons.  Would like to see the old places and people again though, one day I'm sure.  My son (9) wants to move to Scotland but we'll see when he's much older how the land lies. 

Doesn't hold a candle to Slippery's story, I know.

i've always lived here but my partner is one of those foreignery types, she says the negative attitudes here are an absolute killer and the single biggest downside to living here above everything else,  She can't believe how people here will talk themselves out of applying for a promotion or trying to better themselves,  i consider myself quite forward thinking and positive ( i guess it's all relative) yet she has a go at me for negativity or excessive caution at times, f**k knows what she'd make of folk like my parents and others with their constant "it's aye been that way" and "ocht that sorta thing isny fur the likes ae us"  " it'll no work , if it was that easy we'd aw be daein it!

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Agreed, much prefer Utrecht. Way too many people in a small area.

Yep, Utrecht is amongst my favourite cities in The Netherlands, Groningen & Maastricht are also in there (I'm not including Rotterdam in this simply because I'm from there so I'd be too biased).

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

i've always lived here but my partner is one of those foreignery types, she says the negative attitudes here are an absolute killer and the single biggest downside to living here above everything else,  She can't believe how people here will talk themselves out of applying for a promotion or trying to better themselves,  i consider myself quite forward thinking and positive ( i guess it's all relative) yet she has a go at me for negativity or excessive caution at times, f**k knows what she'd make of folk like my parents and others with their constant "it's aye been that way" and "ocht that sorta thing isny fur the likes ae us"  " it'll no work , if it was that easy we'd aw be daein it!

Bin the boot, it's going nowhere.

Fucking negative indeed, she can go back if she doesn't like it.

19 minutes ago, Marten said:

Well, as an immigrant TO Scotland I have gone in a different direction obviously, but I'll add my experiences here too.

I left The Netherlands back in 2009, I went to England (Darlington) for work reasons. It was purely for work reasons as my job in The Netherlands wasn't going to last due to financial trouble of the company I'm in. As languages are my strong point (German second language, more or less bilingual, also speaking English (obviously) & French), opportunities for me in the UK are better than in The Netherlands. After a year in Darlington I ended up in Derby where I stayed for 7 years, in 2017 I then moved to Scotland. I am much happier here then I was the last years in England. Especially after the Brexit-vote, I regularly got negative reactions when people heard my foreign accent in Derby. Some experiences weren't exactly nice. People up here are much friendlier and Scotland is a beautiful place. In my opinion, many Scots are too negative about their country as it's a great place to live. I don't miss much about The Netherlands other than friends and family (especially now as it's been so long!).

I can't see myself moving back to The Netherlands as I much prefer Scotland. I could see myself moving within Scotland one day, but that's about it.

I know you’ve said we’re too negative about Scotland, but f**k it, I’ll ask anyway - what’s your least favourite things about Scotland and living here? And is there anything you miss about Derby/Darlington that you can’t get here (other than the friends, I assume)?

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I know you’ve said we’re too negative about Scotland, but f**k it, I’ll ask anyway - what’s your least favourite things about Scotland and living here? And is there anything you miss about Derby/Darlington that you can’t get here (other than the friends, I assume)?

Weather would be the obvious one, but then again I really can't handle heat so I'm probably in the right place, lol. I suppose if I'd have to name one thing it's transport infrastructure (both roads & public transport) in general, that's definitely better in The Netherlands.

I'd say the main thing of Derby/Darlington I miss is the ease to travel to other places. Especially from Derby, big(gish) cities like Nottingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Birmingham are all pretty close, even London isn't too far. Where Derby itself isn't too big, it's easy to get to big places when you want. From Darlington you can also easily go to places like Newcastle & York for example. Here you're just a bit further away from other places.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

How did you cope with the language barrier Slippery?

Well actually quiet good, as I lived in a temple and during the evenings we are rather free apart from evening chanting  for about 1 hour.  I had monks teaching me to speak and also learn the Dharma (language of Bhuddha, which is jobbyjuk to most folk).  I'm still struggling with my English. I can also read Thai, but my writing looks like a 5 year old, but folk can read.

7 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I guess it's all linked to our natural conservatism (small C) which makes us look for the risk first.  Almost polar opposite to the American "Just Do It" style which gets on my tits t.b.h.  Where I am now they are much towards the American way and always express wonderment at why I don't own a business here - every man and his dog has some kind of business on the go (almost none of them make any money though!)

Moved around without choice as a child. Settled here. It's quite nice, wouldn't enjoy living in a city, downsides are how backwards a lot of people are, especially outwith Edinburgh, there's a lot of close minded Nationalism, Anglophobia, it's aye been culture, would be nice to have a bit of diversity, also the close minded morlocks that have this wee man sort of outlook about things better than what they're used to. Best things are of course Rangers, square sausage and the rich history that makes Britain such an interesting place. 

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I guess it's all linked to our natural conservatism (small C) which makes us look for the risk first.  Almost polar opposite to the American "Just Do It" style which gets on my tits t.b.h.  Where I am now they are much towards the American way and always express wonderment at why I don't own a business here - every man and his dog has some kind of business on the go (almost none of them make any money though!)

The 45% have control of big business here (that the Chinese/Thai) for folk that don't know. Every election since last (sham) was 70% for the people.   Its more or less impossible in Thailand unles your (Chin/Thai).  They are crumbling the farmers , 

America, have massive milarty base up on the North East, China are selling for arm to us than vaccines. 14 helicopters years.

I'll Boris tomorrow, 

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

your right, i'd be much better off getting with a fat scottish nurse who is happy to sit about and eat quality street all day