Immigrants of P&B

Torpar

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think I speak for all my posting colleagues when I say we whole heartedly agree.

If there are any publicans posting on here there is a small chance they are still feeling the pinch from me taking my business elsewhere.

Spain seem to have thrown a grenade into the ring by effectively saying "we know that you know that the UK is sh*te, Brexit is sh*te, and Brits love Spain, so why not come over and we'll grant you at least a years visa in a situation that'll see you pay half the tax of locals.  Good for you, good for Spain, f*ck the UK, you know it makes sense".

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Spain seem to have thrown a grenade into the ring by effectively saying "we know that you know that the UK is sh*te, Brexit is sh*te, and Brits love Spain, so why not come over and we'll grant you at least a years visa in a situation that'll see you pay half the tax of locals.  Good for you, good for Spain, f*ck the UK, you know it makes sense".

At face value it sounds like an attempt to get all the cash in hand lot to come back and contribute just a wee bit more than they were previously.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Half the tax of locals?

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Aye, saw that too. Can’t imagine it going down too well with the local chiringuito owners who have to stay open to service these tax dodging layabouts.  

Interesting thread, I've lived abroad about half of my adult life (and when I'm not doing it, I want to be doing it).

Worked in four continents now, all on international contracts from my company (no particular hassle on my part). Getting the first of these jobs is the biggest challenge, but once you can prove you can adapt (and know the right people of course) it tends to get easier. Market conditions ultimately dictate though, and I work in a very cyclical industry. Life is all about timing sometimes.

I'm currently on a long assignment in South east Asia (not the fun part) which I'm enjoying but I think I did prefer South America / Southern Europe. Would like to try central Asia / middle east next but honestly I'll pretty much take anything I get. Had the opportunity for a role in Hong Kong but instead stayed where I am (foreign workers seem to be deserting there en masse).

I have actually enjoyed everywhere I have been, I was warned by many people how terrible some places would be and they were totally wrong. If you have the right attitude pretty much anywhere can be enjoyable - just make the most of it. Off the beaten tourist track means you get a more authentic experience.

I've always known I have wanted to do this, it wasn't a hard decision for me at all (sucks that my year abroad studying was cancelled because I was too broke though!).

If you're on the fence I would say go for it, you rarely regret these things and can always come back to Scotland.

As to things I miss - mostly family and some food/drink (although I hate tennants). I don't go back very often, especially when I'm far away as I am now. Would only ever go in summer too, don't miss European winters at all.

To carry on a previous topic from a pages ago, I haven't seen that much racism anywhere I have been but maybe I'm not very switched onto it. Anyone who thinks white privilege isn't a thing should spend some time in south east Asia - the red carpet is rolled out for you almost everywhere. It's a rather unsettling feeling.

Long term I don't think I'll live in Scotland but these things can always change. I feel I have acclimatised to warmer weather though.

World cup times have, sadly, sucked and I'm lucky if I can stay up for even the first match.

Edited by Satoshi

16 hours ago, Ross. said:

At face value it sounds like an attempt to get all the cash in hand lot to come back and contribute just a wee bit more than they were previously.

I'm a bit suspicious of the ones that lived in Spain and came back to the UK after Brexit. They could've stayed very easily, but actively chose not to. Leads me to assume that they 'forgot' to declare some income in Spain and didn't fancy taking their chances. 

Isn't this visa just another one of those 'digital nomad' ones, though? Albeit it's being reported in the UK press and slanted accordingly to the domestic audience? Quite a few countries seem to be offering these now. I don't think the ones that left to return to the UK are the targets here! 

I'd also read a few EU nationals (mostly said 'digital nomads') were moving to Spain due to cheaper electricity costs. 

I fucking hate the term 'digital nomad'. Met someone a few months ago who introduced himself as a digital nomad and continued to repeat that despite my friend's increasingly exasperated questions of "but what the f**k do you actually do?". Arsehole of a boy.

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'm a bit suspicious of the ones that lived in Spain and came back to the UK after Brexit. They could've stayed very easily, but actively chose not to. Leads me to assume that they 'forgot' to declare some income in Spain and didn't fancy taking their chances. 

Isn't this visa just another one of those 'digital nomad' ones, though? Albeit it's being reported in the UK press and slanted accordingly to the domestic audience? Quite a few countries seem to be offering these now. I don't think the ones that left to return to the UK are the targets here! 

I'd also read a few EU nationals (mostly said 'digital nomads') were moving to Spain due to cheaper electricity costs. 

The cheaper electricity might not last long, they had a fixed price gas supply deal with Algeria that runs out soon.

4 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Which country are you in in this magnificent region?

Malaysian Borneo.

To clarify on why this isn't the fun part, rather than Gogo bars you live in the jungle and fight (impressively resourceful) ants.

The place is fun in its own way, but not many tourists coming here.

Edited by Satoshi

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I fucking hate the term 'digital nomad'. Met someone a few months ago who introduced himself as a digital nomad and continued to repeat that despite my friend's increasingly exasperated questions of "but what the f**k do you actually do?". Arsehole of a boy.

I’m guessing prostate examinations.

On 05/08/2021 at 15:47, SlipperyP said:

Came to Thailand in 2008 to live in a temple and learn about Buddhism, during this 1 month stay, the temple was  helping to built a school for the hill tribe children, that are not legally Thai to get them into the system of education and away from the prostitution and drugs trade.  A cycle that has destroyed there lives for decades.

I loved it and came back for an extra 3 months, with being back in Scotland for about 1 week.  On my second trip, I meet a woman in her 50's at a laundrette in the town of Singburi.  She said to me that she would do my washing for me and I can go and get something to eat. I thought, that's sound good to me.  On my return, she handed me 1000 baht and explained that it was in one of my pockets.  Me being a good c**t, gave her  the 1000 baht and told her to treat herself and family.  She was a little embarrassed and refused, just at that time her son walked it to pick her up (I didn't know it was her son at the time).  He could speak a little English, and I explain it to him, that I would prefer she took the money....anyway, she ordered that I come to her house that evening for a meal, that she will prepare.

I got picked up from the temple are around 18:00 and drove off into the wilderness to this little house in the farmlands/paddy fields.  The house was full of the family members, I meet my wife for the first time, it was the woman's daughter. 

I married her 3 years latter and now have 3 kids.   

I still go back to the school now and again to drop of boxes of sweeties or ice cream, none of the children are the same as when I helped there back in the day, they have all grown up, but it does give me a massive warm glow inside, when I'm there.  I also take my kids and wife with me.  Good for my kids to see  where it all began for me in Thailand.

I only ever returned back to Scotland back in 2010, to fix some financial stuff and sell my house, never looked back. 

That’s a heartwarming story mate ❤️

(Even if I’m slightly late in saying so)