Immigrants of P&B

Torpar

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

It's quite striking the amount of times racism had been mentioned in this thread as a negative feature of countries, especially in developed ones. 

Is it noticeably worse than it is in the UK/Scotland in isolation, or is it more open/overt racism? Genuinely curious. 

As I had mentioned before, in my opinion, the worst overall was Canada. It was an eye opener. More elitism and arrogance than much else I guess though.

Hungary was particularly bad, mostly against Romanians/Gypsies and latterly muslims. Been away from Hungary for over 10 years and I believe it has got worse.

HK Blues nails it for Asia. There is a lot of racism here, but mostly not out of malice or its pure ignorance (especially in the case of China).

Philippines is very jovial mostly. It did boil my piss being called Joe all the time and being called ‘Americano’ but can understand where it comes from. The everyone is rich, for me, comes from the Sex tourists who save up all year to spend two weeks, quick literally fucking about and throwing money around to buy there way. 

China is like 1970’s UK. Utterly racist, but not much intent, mostly ignorance. Except in the case of Japan. For some there is a special kind of hatred.

Indonesia there is underlying, utter contempt for the Chinese.

Covid and the South China seas has certainly aided more racism though. 

There is a lot more anti Chinese feeling and surprisingly in Singapore spats of racism against foreigners, including westerners but mostly South Asians. 

Indians have a special contempt for muslims.

There is racism and intolerance everywhere and exaggerated in times of recession or general downturns and depends who you encounter and when. In the case of Canada, which I consider the worst, I am sure others would have differing opinions by their own experience.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

It's quite striking the amount of times racism had been mentioned in this thread as a negative feature of countries, especially in developed ones. 

Is it noticeably worse than it is in the UK/Scotland in isolation, or is it more open/overt racism? Genuinely curious. 

I’d say the UK has a far bigger issue with racism, both overt and covert, but having grown up in and around Glasgow you switch off to a lot of it. I tend to notice that stuff a lot more here, probably because I am somewhat of an outsider here myself, even if I’m much less of an outsider than others, if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I’d say the UK has a far bigger issue with racism, both overt and covert, but having grown up in and around Glasgow you switch off to a lot of it. I tend to notice that stuff a lot more here, probably because I am somewhat of an outsider here myself, even if I’m much less of an outsider than others, if that makes sense.

This could also possibly be true in my case

16 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

As I had mentioned before, in my opinion, the worst overall was Canada. It was an eye opener. More elitism and arrogance than much else I guess though.

Hungary was particularly bad, mostly against Romanians/Gypsies and latterly muslims. Been away from Hungary for over 10 years and I believe it has got worse.

HK Blues nails it for Asia. There is a lot of racism here, but mostly not out of malice or its pure ignorance (especially in the case of China).

Philippines is very jovial mostly. It did boil my piss being called Joe all the time and being called ‘Americano’ but can understand where it comes from. The everyone is rich, for me, comes from the Sex tourists who save up all year to spend two weeks, quick literally fucking about and throwing money around to buy there way. 

China is like 1970’s UK. Utterly racist, but not much intent, mostly ignorance. Except in the case of Japan. For some there is a special kind of hatred.

Indonesia there is underlying, utter contempt for the Chinese.

Covid and the South China seas has certainly aided more racism though. 

There is a lot more anti Chinese feeling and surprisingly in Singapore spats of racism against foreigners, including westerners but mostly South Asians. 

Indians have a special contempt for muslims.

There is racism and intolerance everywhere and exaggerated in times of recession or general downturns and depends who you encounter and when. In the case of Canada, which I consider the worst, I am sure others would have differing opinions by their own experience.

Are millions of Indians not muslims?

There's a bigger racism problem in France than in the UK. 

A thing that struck me in Paris when I lived there was how angry the North African youth were. Seething resentment, for pretty understandable reasons. Most French think they should just be grateful to be here, or f**k off. The occasional beheading of a teacher doesn't help matters.

Another eye-opener, when attending PSG games, was how racist their fans were. Where I went (Kop of Boulogne, in with the 'Rangers' supporters group) was 100% white, while the rest of the ground was a melting pot. The Rangers were a likeable bunch of rogues in many respects, but the racist jeers and wisecracks grew pretty wearing. 

15 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

He was a permanent resident, and it was during the final year of the last Tory government that they changed the rules.  If you are eligible then why not become one of us? 

It was the cost at the moment, my wife is on maternity leave, though as she just pointed out to me, once she goes back to work, with the cost of child care in Toronto we won't be much better off. I just downloaded the application form and it's a lot shorter and simpler than the massive PR application form, so I may as well start filling out the form and have it on hand. I'd quite like to have my citizenship in time to vote in the next provincial election so should probably get going eh 

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Yes, Third largest country by muslim population behind Indonesia and Pakistan.

So millions of Indians have a special contempt for themselves?

2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

The thing about racism in Canada is while they have the same "took our jobs" type thickos that you could find in the pub in Scotland, the institutional racism here is like nothing I could compare to Scotland. The legacy of residential schools, a system implemented by the Scottish first Prime Minister, is and will be felt for a long time to come. The Chinese head tax is a shameful piece of history. There are 100s of reserve that are under boil water to drink advisories, Trudeau made a lot of big promises to the indigenous people that we failed to deliver on, The Starlight Tours in Saskatoon are hard to believe, The Colten Boushie case and numerous other cases where the killing of indigenous people are "punished" with light sentences. 

I think I naively shared an impression that a lot of people in Scotland had of Canada, that's it's this wonderfully peaceful utopia where everyone is overly friendly and there is no hate, especially compared to the evil neighbour to the south.    

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

One section of the country hates another section of the population based on their religion, shouldn't be too hard for you to understand surely

4 minutes ago, Torpar said:

One section of the country hates another section of the population based on their religion, shouldn't be too hard for you to understand surely

But that's not what he said.

According to a lot of folk Canadians are very racist and yet you want to become one.

Of the countries I've lived in Italy, Turkey, Slovakia and Guatemala had very noticeable racism issues. Finland and Denmark have big problems too but were more in the news/polling than than from anything I noticed personally, presumably due to the places I was living/people with whom I was spending time.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Say it like that and you'll walk it.

Not going to lie, the citizenship test worries me a bit, much like the UK citizenship test, I'm sure most born and breed Canadians wouldn't pass it but I find Canada's history, good and bad, pretty interesting so I should do alright. 

28 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

But that's not what he said.

According to a lot of folk Canadians are very racist and yet you want to become one.

I'm actually in no real hurry to get Dual citizenship right now, I'd say the majority of Canadians I've met aren't racist but the ones that are racist and one of the few things I dislike about the country. Also one of the things I dislike about Scotland. 

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Despite being the third largest muslim population, it is still 10% of a huge population. 

I am sure you could grasp what I was getting at in the sentence.

I’ll rephrase, The vast majority of the non muslim Indian population have huge contempt for their minority muslim countrymen who are generally looked down on and marginalised, but not as much as  the Dalit.

Sorry for any confusion.

Just now, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Despite being the third largest muslim population, it is still 10% of a huge population. 

I am sure you could grasp what I was getting at in the sentence.

I’ll rephrase, The vast majority of the non muslim Indian population have huge contempt for their minority muslim countrymen who are generally looked down on and marginalised, but not as much as  the Dalit.

Sorry for any confusion.

Course I could, but it was very badly worded.

Not confused in the slightest.

5 hours ago, Torpar said:

The thing about racism in Canada is while they have the same "took our jobs" type thickos that you could find in the pub in Scotland, the institutional racism here is like nothing I could compare to Scotland. The legacy of residential schools, a system implemented by the Scottish first Prime Minister, is and will be felt for a long time to come. The Chinese head tax is a shameful piece of history. There are 100s of reserve that are under boil water to drink advisories, Trudeau made a lot of big promises to the indigenous people that we failed to deliver on, The Starlight Tours in Saskatoon are hard to believe, The Colten Boushie case and numerous other cases where the killing of indigenous people are "punished" with light sentences. 

I think I naively shared an impression that a lot of people in Scotland had of Canada, that's it's this wonderfully peaceful utopia where everyone is overly friendly and there is no hate, especially compared to the evil neighbour to the south.    

Racism/bigotry and intolerance is unfortunately a fact of life and the question posed on the feeling of racism and intolerance in other countries is a dangerous one. As said before, it is a perception of an individual based on a time, place and interaction.

I unfortunately experienced eye opening racism (as I had lived as a child in Canada and had a romantic view of the place), others would live their life in Canada (or anywhere) and never experience any. Yourself being from Toronto and longer term probably have a more balanced view.