Immigrants of P&B

Torpar

7 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Yes the influencers and tax avoiders are the ones under scrutiny in Indonesia, partly brought on by their own stupidity.

One ‘influencer’ in Bali wrote an ebook for sale on how to beat the system in Bali and live a comfortable life there and promoted it online.

Was shocked and complained when she got arrested, fined and deported. 

Indonesia is cheap but hefty on tax.

I remember reading about her, an American lesbian IIRC

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

My fiance's from the States - we actually first met in Colombia - so I think there's always a possibility we'll move there at some point, and if by some miracle we can retire early we both like the idea of living somewhere warm in the countryside in Europe. 

#perthshire

As a 28 year old that stays in the same place aw the time this thread is very interesting. Also making me feel very old somehow. Would love to experience some of the things I've read about but alas I'm too poor and under qualified. Hopefully when Canzuk comes into effect they'll send me an invite for my staunch work on the PnB forum. 

42 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Yes the influencers and tax avoiders are the ones under scrutiny in Indonesia, partly brought on by their own stupidity.

One ‘influencer’ in Bali wrote an ebook for sale on how to beat the system in Bali and live a comfortable life there and promoted it online.

Was shocked and complained when she got arrested, fined and deported. 

Indonesia is cheap but hefty on tax.

How to make friends and influence people.

image.thumb.png.13501b3cd46a68fbc8f37e6c806febec.png

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Nonsense. My top qualification is an HNC, I've never earnt more than 50p over minimum wage and I've visited 80 countries and lived in nine.

Oh yeah not your stories mate! You're on a different level of a free spirit lmao, I don't think I'd fancy Albania! What sort of work do you do out of curiosity? 

Do you consider yourself settled at the moment or do you have plans to live anywhere else interesting?  

35 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

As a 28 year old that stays in the same place aw the time this thread is very interesting. Also making me feel very old somehow. Would love to experience some of the things I've read about but alas I'm too poor and under qualified. Hopefully when Canzuk comes into effect they'll send me an invite for my staunch work on the PnB forum. 

Brexit will have made some routes significantly harder (virtually impossible), but as Diego alludes to, where there's a will there's a way.

My story is pretty boring. Partner and I fancied living abroad, and decided on the Netherlands 3.5 years ago. Moved over and then got jobs in The Hague. It's not the most exciting city to be honest but very central.

39 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Pretty sure a few of your P&B fans could have a whip-round to send you somewhere!

Oh yeah not your stories mate! You're on a different level of a free spirit lmao, I don't think I'd fancy Albania! What sort of work do you do out of curiosity? 
Do you consider yourself settled at the moment or do you have plans to live anywhere else interesting?  
Albania is the most relaxed place I've lived.

Right now I'm working as a cleaner. I get more than twice as much money scrubbing lavvies than I did teaching English in Italy.

That's a huge reason why I'm back in Scotland, the money is just so much better than the vast majority of the world. My plan for now is to keep my head down and work hard. If the winds of the market are in my favour I should be able to retire before I'm fifty. By far the hardest part of that will be staying put for 5-10 years.

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Albania is the most relaxed place I've lived.

Right now I'm working as a cleaner. I get more than twice as much money scrubbing lavvies than I did teaching English in Italy.

That's a huge reason why I'm back in Scotland, the money is just so much better than the vast majority of the world. My plan for now is to keep my head down and work hard. If the winds of the market are in my favour I should be able to retire before I'm fifty. By far the hardest part of that will be staying put for 5-10 years.

Money might be better but so is the cost of living. Not sure how you can save enough to retire early on a cleaner's wages unless you're living on rice and beans, and rent free. I get that when you have your pot of money you can retire to somewhere much cheaper.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Money might be better but so is the cost of living. Not sure how you can save enough to retire early on a cleaner's wages unless you're living on rice and beans, and rent free. I get that when you have your pot of money you can retire to somewhere much cheaper.

Yep.  Where I am, I can buy a beer for 75p, a Big Mac meal for 3 quid (no straw though).  But, I need to work an 45  mins to buy that beer.  The secret is to be earning "Western" money in the developing world countries.  Or having a western nest egg you can spend i.e. the pot of money you talk of.  

Generally wages increase more than cost of living as you go from low to high income countries. Otherwise we'd all move to Liberia and Oslo wouldn't be full of immigrants. No way could I save five figures a year living in Guatemala.

3 hours ago, SANTAN said:

The only qualifications I had were my 8 standard grades, technically I didn't even interview for my job, I joined a few recruitment agencies, worked some shitey jobs and eventually got placed where I am now, after half a year the company asked me if I'd like to work for them permanently and gave me a contract. You are young enough to apply for a working holiday work permit for Canada, you just need to save up enough money. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec.html

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Generally wages increase more than cost of living as you go from low to high income countries. Otherwise we'd all move to Liberia and Oslo wouldn't be full of immigrants. No way could I save five figures a year living in Guatemala.

You must be doing a shed load of overtime to save ten thousand plus on a cleaner's wage.

Edited by welshbairn