Immigrants of P&B

Torpar

I know I’m far from the only person on here who no longer has the, ahem, pleasure of living in Scotland.

What brought you to your current country?

What’s the best and worst thing about it?

What do you miss about Scotland and what do you not miss?

Moved to Wales for work.

Best thing was the fact that I found someone to pay me money to do what I do.

Worst thing was the racism, the backwardness, the proximity to England, the lack of touring bands, and the dining options.

I didn’t realise how good Glasgow was till I had left. Moved back after four years to be closer to Killie Mrs Mathematics.

I’ve been playing ice hockey since I was 8 years old and so always had an interest in Canada, I visited Toronto for the first time with my brother in January 2009 and liked it so much I visited again on my own in November the same year. I used to play for an ice hockey team in Edinburgh that usually had a good number of international students playing for them, became good friends with a Native Canadian who invited me to visit his reserve when he went back for the summer, I remember being gutted when I had to come back to Scotland, I kept telling anyone that would listen that I was done with Scotland and was moving to Canada, f**k off then, was their usual response. I learned in 2013 that being under 30 I could apply for a 12 month working holiday work permit, got one and moved in May 2014 with the intention of seeing how I liked living there and hoping I could apply for one more 12 month work permit, thankfully for me they changed the UK working holiday work permits to 24 months to be in line with other countries. I met my now wife two months after getting my second work permit and when it was about to run out she said she would sponsor me for permanent residency which I got in 2018, I may apply for citizenship soon but I’m in no hurry. Working on getting my Ontario drivers license so I can move out of the city.

The best thing about Canada, apart from all the ice hockey, is it’s diversity, makes for some excellent food choices if nothing else. The worst thing about Canada might be the racism shown towards indigenous people, something I had very little idea about till I moved here. I would also say the Canadian sense of humour is shite compared to Scotland, it’s the main reason I ended up joining P&B! 

Family apart, I actually miss some Scottish “cuisine” like proper chip shops and bakers, you can get fish and chips here but no chance of a smoked sausage supper and as nice as Jamaican beef patties are, they just aren’t the same as Stephen’s sausage rolls. Found myself missing Lucozade recently so spent too much getting that and some Vimto from the local British and Irish goods place. I don’t miss the weather, yes it gets really cold here but they at least have 4 distinct season, I don’t miss UK/English media, especially during major football tournaments and I don’t miss all the miserable negative people that Scotland seems to have.   

Edited by Torpar

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Came to Thailand in 2008 to live in a temple and learn about Buddhism, during this 1 month stay, the temple was  helping to built a school for the hill tribe children, that are not legally Thai to get them into the system of education and away from the prostitution and drugs trade.  A cycle that has destroyed there lives for decades.

I loved it and came back for an extra 3 months, with being back in Scotland for about 1 week.  On my second trip, I meet a woman in her 50's at a laundrette in the town of Singburi.  She said to me that she would do my washing for me and I can go and get something to eat. I thought, that's sound good to me.  On my return, she handed me 1000 baht and explained that it was in one of my pockets.  Me being a good c**t, gave her  the 1000 baht and told her to treat herself and family.  She was a little embarrassed and refused, just at that time her son walked it to pick her up (I didn't know it was her son at the time).  He could speak a little English, and I explain it to him, that I would prefer she took the money....anyway, she ordered that I come to her house that evening for a meal, that she will prepare.

I got picked up from the temple are around 18:00 and drove off into the wilderness to this little house in the farmlands/paddy fields.  The house was full of the family members, I meet my wife for the first time, it was the woman's daughter. 

I married her 3 years latter and now have 3 kids.   

I still go back to the school now and again to drop of boxes of sweeties or ice cream, none of the children are the same as when I helped there back in the day, they have all grown up, but it does give me a massive warm glow inside, when I'm there.  I also take my kids and wife with me.  Good for my kids to see  where it all began for me in Thailand.

I only ever returned back to Scotland back in 2010, to fix some financial stuff and sell my house, never looked back. 

A moving story SP.

However, when did you throw your first dog in a river?

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

A moving story SP.

However, when did you throw your first dog in a river?

Yeah great story, 1000 baht seems a reasonable dowry for a wife too

Edited by Torpar

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Came to Thailand in 2008 to live in a temple and learn about Buddhism, during this 1 month stay, the temple was  helping to built a school for the hill tribe children, that are not legally Thai to get them into the system of education and away from the prostitution and drugs trade.  A cycle that has destroyed there lives for decades.

I loved it and came back for an extra 3 months, with being back in Scotland for about 1 week.  On my second trip, I meet a woman in her 50's at a laundrette in the town of Singburi.  She said to me that she would do my washing for me and I can go and get something to eat. I thought, that's sound good to me.  On my return, she handed me 1000 baht and explained that it was in one of my pockets.  Me being a good c**t, gave her  the 1000 baht and told her to treat herself and family.  She was a little embarrassed and refused, just at that time her son walked it to pick her up (I didn't know it was her son at the time).  He could speak a little English, and I explain it to him, that I would prefer she took the money....anyway, she ordered that I come to her house that evening for a meal, that she will prepare.

I got picked up from the temple are around 18:00 and drove off into the wilderness to this little house in the farmlands/paddy fields.  The house was full of the family members, I meet my wife for the first time, it was the woman's daughter. 

I still go back to the school now and again to drop of boxes of sweeties or ice cream, none of the children are the same as when I helped there back in the day, they have all grown up, but it does give me a massive warm glow inside, when I'm there.  I also take my kids and wife with me.  Good for my kids to see  where it all began for me in Thailand.

I only ever returned back to Scotland back in 2010, to fix some financial stuff and sell my house, never looked back. 

👍

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Have to say this is a fantastic and life affirming sequel to your telling of your first days in a hostel in Bangkok and the people you met there en route to Cambodia.

Edited by welshbairn

Met my missus when she was staying in Glasgow. Her mum is Scottish and she was staying with family there. I figured I would enjoy getting my hole off a tourist and not have to worry about the consequences. 11 years later I’ve been living in Switzerland for 9 years and have a kid.

Too many positives here to pick one. The weather, the scenery, the money, the opportunities, the lifestyle in general, the fact things work and people look after stuff, I could go on.

Main negative is that while almost young people tend to be very outward looking and open to the world, there are still significant problems with racism.

Miss family and friends, the last 18 months in particular and more so since my son was born. I also miss being able to turn up in my local and know without checking that someone I could go a pint or five with will be there.

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

as nice as Jamaican beef patties are, they just aren’t the same as Stephen’s sausage rolls.

First good argument I've heard for moving to Canada, I lived on them in London and miss them sorely. Wouldn't hang about getting your citizenship sorted out, things can change very quickly as EU citizens and ours over there have found out. 

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

First good argument I've heard for moving to Canada, I lived on them in London and miss them sorely. Wouldn't hang about getting your citizenship sorted out, things can change very quickly as EU citizens and ours over there have found out. 

They are excellent, especially when eaten in coco bread. As I keep telling anyone that will listen, we plan on leaving Toronto when we can but hopefully wherever we move to has at least a few Caribbean places. Having said that, the patties from my local subway station are made by East Asians and are some of the best I've had.

As far as citizenship goes I'm not too worried, Permanent resident status doesn't expire and can only be revoked if you spend too much time outside of Canada or become inadmissible to Canada, which would involve committing a serious crime, I don't plan on doing either. 

2 minutes ago, Torpar said:

They are excellent, especially when eaten in coco bread. As I keep telling anyone that will listen, we plan on leaving Toronto when we can but hopefully wherever we move to has at least a few Caribbean places. Having said that, the patties from my local subway station are made by East Asians and are some of the best I've had.

As far as citizenship goes I'm not too worried, Permanent resident status doesn't expire and can only be revoked if you spend too much time outside of Canada or become inadmissible to Canada, which would involve committing a serious crime, I don't plan on doing either. 

Governments can change along with the rules, look south of the border, along with Rob Ford and his brothers. Does it cost a fortune?

Live in Annecy in the French Alps and work in Geneva. In 2011 the opportunity came up to relocate from London. Kids were 4 and 2 at the time. It helped that I spoke French and love the country/people. My wife, on the other hand, is no great fan of them. Oh well… it’s a great place for kids to grow up. Climate is perfect. Italy is 2 hours away, Germany 3. Salaries in Switzerland are ludicrously high. 

what do I miss? Going to football. for a brief period there was a Ligue 1 team in Annecy, Evian Thonon-Gaillard. Managed to see Zlatan and Eden Hazard in the flesh before the club went bust.  Fuckers…

will try and pillage the Swiss job market for a few more years if I can get away with it. I keep expecting an official to tap on my shoulder and ask « What the f**k do you think you’re doing? »

2598BA94-701F-4E50-B3F2-B3B94E53CB5A.jpeg

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Governments can change along with the rules, look south of the border, along with Rob Ford and his brothers. Does it cost a fortune?

Yeah, we’ll be eligible to get US citizenship in 2023, and I’ll likely be doing it given there’s a non-zero chance of it being President Cruz/DeSantis/Reanimated Corpse of Goebbels the year after. 

27 minutes ago, Duszek said:

will try and pillage the Swiss job market for a few more years if I can get away with it. I keep expecting an official to tap on my shoulder and ask « What the f**k do you think you’re doing? »

They keep talking about restricting this somehow, but I don’t see it ever happening. Basel, and especially Geneva, do too well out of it. I think if the SVP ever got enough of the vote it would end up like the cap on immigration, and just rattle about the various levels of government until it was watered down beyond recognition and barely worth worrying about.