Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

Too short a clip to tell if it will be good or bad for me. Hearing that people are complaining that a show with dwarves, elves and hobbits will have black actors in it. :lol: Hoping it will be more character driven than Peter Jackson's endless overblown CGI battles.

Edited by welshbairn

I'm also a Tolkien nerd, Silmarillion, unfinished tales, read them all.

When I first saw the 1st released pic of Valinor and the two trees I was really excited, then the teaser for the show name, the vanity fair images were fairly underwhelming so was looking forward to the see the trailer and things in motion. 

All in all I liked it. I've read alot of comments that it doesn't feel like Lord of the Rings. I'd disagree, the first shot of Numenor has the same architecture as Minas Tirith, Dwarves look the same, the image of Gil-Galad looks nearly the same as the cut role of Gil-galad in the films, the Elven council(?), looks the same as the council of Elrond, sweeping vista's. Even the CGI I didn't think looked that bad, still got another 7 months to iron it out.

Still think that an adaption of Beren and Luthien would have been the better, dip a toe in to gauge public reaction in a fleshed out self contained story.

I'll wait and see, I'm not totally writing it off completely at this stage!

1 hour ago, Camster said:

I'm also a Tolkien nerd, Silmarillion, unfinished tales, read them all.

When I first saw the 1st released pic of Valinor and the two trees I was really excited, then the teaser for the show name, the vanity fair images were fairly underwhelming so was looking forward to the see the trailer and things in motion. 

All in all I liked it. I've read alot of comments that it doesn't feel like Lord of the Rings. I'd disagree, the first shot of Numenor has the same architecture as Minas Tirith, Dwarves look the same, the image of Gil-Galad looks nearly the same as the cut role of Gil-galad in the films, the Elven council(?), looks the same as the council of Elrond, sweeping vista's. Even the CGI I didn't think looked that bad, still got another 7 months to iron it out.

Still think that an adaption of Beren and Luthien would have been the better, dip a toe in to gauge public reaction in a fleshed out self contained story.

I'll wait and see, I'm not totally writing it off completely at this stage!

I think the meteor guy is Sauron in his guise as Annatar and he’ll make out he’s been sent by Aule. For the crater good. 

22 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I think the meteor guy is Sauron in his guise as Annatar and he’ll make out he’s been sent by Aule. For the crater good. 

I heard this rumour. Also that he has no memory of who or what he is and slowly remembers over time while living with the Elves.

I'm not a fan of such rumour if true. 

I hope its as close to the story as possible, too many deviations and new characters and it almost becomes a fan fiction / "inspired by" type show. But I'm setting my expectations really low.

Surely the best way to have done this was have the main setting as the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Introduce some new characters to act as narrators to tell the story of 'how we got to this point'. The flashbacks could be 10 minute segments, or half a series depending on what they were covering. Eventually the timeline joins up and they march on to watch Isildur shit the bed.

That way, you get to stay true to the legends to keep the nerds happy, you get some new characters, who in the grand scheme are insignificant as they don't affect the story, they're just telling it and there's no need for compressed timelines, maguffins or Sauron's twin Boab who is the 'good brother'.

Give me a call Bezos.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I heard this rumour. Also that he has no memory of who or what he is and slowly remembers over time while living with the Elves.

I'm not a fan of such rumour if true. 

I hope its as close to the story as possible, too many deviations and new characters and it almost becomes a fan fiction / "inspired by" type show. But I'm setting my expectations really low.

I would have a problem if he has such a kind of amnesia as you say. I’d be ok with the meteor entrance.

I don't give a f**k about the colour of the actors in a fantasy world of mythical creatures. Looks like the rights holders are trying to wring the dregs out of the the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit before doing a standalone mega budget film of The Silmarillion.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't give a f**k about the colour of the actors in a fantasy world of mythical creatures. Looks like the rights holders are trying to wring the dregs out of the the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit before doing a standalone mega budget film of The Silmarillion.

Right and wrong. Skin colour is indeed completely irrelevant in casting for fantasy adaptations, particularly where the source material leaves as much room as Tolkien does. It might be more of a challenge in GRR Martin’s world if they were casting black actors as Valyrians for example. Still wouldn’t bother me.

The rights holders of The Silmarillion are the Tolkien Estate. They have no interest whatsoever in selling the rights to The Silmarillion. They have no need to and no desire to.

Seperately, Middle-Earth Enterprises is up for sale as it will never have a higher value than the advent of this Amazon series. 

Amazon have rights to The Hobbit, LOTR and the Appendices. The appendices are key, and separately to that they have had to negotiate with the Estate for special one off licences to tie parts of the story together if certain things exist only in works outside their licence.

The good news is that they cannot contradict The Silmarillion or Unfinished tales so that balances out the fact they don’t have easy access to Akallabeth or Of The Rings of Power.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Everything points to this being utter pish.

I’m happy for a diverse cast as long as it’s not an attempt at making political hot garbage points. I don’t go on twitter for that reason. 

I honestly don’t think it’s being done for points in this case or that it won’t work narratively. They casting looks fine to me. That people are attaching baggage to it is for them. 

I won’t read Twitter on this subject either but I did see someone pulling a load of comments from forums before Jackson’s Fellowship came out in 2001. The comments are hilarious to look back on. Morons gonna moron.

2 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

The rights holders of The Silmarillion are the Tolkien Estate. They have no interest whatsoever in selling the rights to The Silmarillion. They have no need to and no desire to.

Why not? The value will only increase unless this new series bores everyone to death. Copyright runs out in 20 years.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Why not? The value will only increase unless this new series bores everyone to death. Copyright runs out in 20 years.

They don’t need the money and are very sensitive about The Silmarillion. Even after Christopher’s death they have no appetite to see it adapted. 

The 3 central stories were almost sacred to Tolkien and are to the Estate. Beren and Luthien, The Children of Hurin and the Fall of Gondolin could be wonderful to see on screen. 

It won’t happen though, unless Amazon do the most outrageously amazing job imaginable and the Estate is then swayed. 

Edited by Thorongil