Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Galadriel is an absolute arsehole.

She's exactly why the Numenoreans hate elves, as she's arrogant, haughty, condescending and rude. 

And she dosent need to be. Shes fucking GALADRIEL, one of the most powerful and important Elves. She could quite easily not be a complete bell end.

headache-facepalm.gif.1c2d95330301583d0ad97e202c453a04.gif

On 17/09/2022 at 21:33, LongTimeLurker said:

Found Orla McCool's accent on Derry Girls much more distracting than anything that Lenny Henry & Co are doing in this series given they are quite clearly not trying to portray Irish people. The faux stage Irish accent is just being used as a way to distinguish the different races of Middle Earth. After a couple of minutes I got used to it.

In a similar sort of way Sophia Nomvete's attempt at a Scottish accent would be problematic if she was trying to play Miss Jean Brodie or Senga fae the scheme but I don't find it difficult to deal with in the context of a female dwarf from Middle Earth.

Ive no issue with the actual accents, im just expecting issues when enough people latch on to the fact they purposely made the travellers in the show Irish.

Im sure ive seen theres already been complaints from Ireland about it.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Galadriel is an absolute arsehole.

She's exactly why the Numenoreans hate elves, as she's arrogant, haughty, condescending and rude. 

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

And she dosent need to be. Shes fucking GALADRIEL, one of the most powerful and important Elves. She could quite easily not be a complete bell end.

Thats how elves were written by Tolkien, though. Thinking they were superior to all others as they were "first" to be woken. The world was built for them and all other races are just ugly things to fill up space. They live multiples time as long as other races so assume their issues are more important too. Most times they interact with other races around this time they speak down to them, maybe taking a patronising interest in their problems, then go back to more important issues of their own.

Apologies if neither are contesting that, and are simply complaining shes an arsehole.

Edited by RandomGuy.

11 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Shes fucking GALADRIEL, one of the most powerful and important Elves. 

She isn't right now. Same with Elrond. Few folk to get knocked off. Some growing to do. Rings of power to get. 

She's meant to be married at this point in the show, but don't think she's had her kid yet. Could give House of the Dragon a run for their money by having Elrond marry an embryo. 

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive no issue with the actual accents, im just expecting issues when enough people latch on to the fact they purposely made the travellers in the show Irish.

Im sure ive seen theres already been complaints from Ireland about it.

Thats how elves were written by Tolkien, though. Thinking they were superior to all others as they were "first" to be woken. The world was built for them and all other races are just ugly things to fill up space. They live multiples time as long as other races so assume their issues are more important too. Most times they interact with other races around this time they speak down to them, maybe taking a patronising interest in their problems, then go back to more important issues of their own.

Apologies if neither are contesting that, and are simply complaining shes an arsehole.

I'm not saying she should come over differently than Tolkien wrote them, they are indeed aloof and uninterested with the wider world unless it benefits them.

But

I don't think they needed to write her like a huffy, aggressive toddler. It would have been, imo, better had they written her more thoughtful than she is, she seems to be too rash for an immortal being thats been around for 3500 years. f**k, even the mortal Halbrand is telling her to chill a bit. I'm not saying she can't get pissed off or start chopping folk up but she generally seems to charge in head first most of the time.

10 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'm not saying she should come over differently than Tolkien wrote them, they are indeed aloof and uninterested with the wider world unless it benefits them.

But

I don't think they needed to write her like a huffy, aggressive toddler. It would have been, imo, better had they written her more thoughtful than she is, she seems to be too rash for an immortal being thats been around for 3500 years. f**k, even the mortal Halbrand is telling her to chill a bit. I'm not saying she can't get pissed off or start chopping folk up but she generally seems to charge in head first most of the time.

I imagine thatll be her arc over the show, tbh.

I don't get this pish that the elves must have mithril or they'll die. Where did that come from? Makes no sense at all. Liked the balrog cameo mind.

Who are the folk hunting meteor man?

Isildur's dad's helmet look stupid.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Indeed we saw her lighten up a touch when training the recruits.  But only a touch.  Still not an easy character to root for. 

I like, i think, the theory that Halbrand will become a Nazgul of some description.

If done right it could be great to see a Galadriel whos learned to ease up, and an Aragorn-esque "lost king" storyline, be ripped apart by betrayal as he accepts a ring from Sauron.

On 20/09/2022 at 12:32, mishtergrolsch said:

But

She went to basically the edge of the world in pursuit of Sauron.

Then she was sent away because the other elves told her she was full of shit

Then she finds out that Sauron is likely back in the Southlands but the dumbass Numenorians are holding her Not Hostage while they decide how little help they are going to send.

I find her drive and aggression admirable tbh. She could have went to Valar and lived an eternal life with no problems. Will her attitude lead to some problems for her in the future? Probably. It is going to be part of her character arc over multiple seasons.

Im still enjoying this, and liked the Mt Doom moment. Felt like a few too many convenient moments though, and im still a bit worried theyre going to have Halbrand as Sauron.

Like persuading Galadriel to persuade Numenour to remove his enemies from Mordor* is very, very, on brand for him, but the most important Sauron stuff is whats happening with the elves. Celebrimbor suddenly desperate to finish his forge + the bullshit about them needing mithril to survive. If they dont tie that stuff to Sauron, and i dont see how they can if hes Halbrand, then theyve absolutely fucked it.

Still hoping we havent seen him yet.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Felt like a few too many convenient moments though

The Numenoreans have some timing!

I did enjoy the reveal of the axe mind. Noticed that Oren had somehow disappeared when the mountain exploded. Also has he f**k killed Sauron. 

I'm totally lost with the geography in this show mind, so no idea what mountain that was and where the Numenoreans landed, not to mention just where in the f**k the Harfoots have been and are going.

Im still enjoying this, and liked the Mt Doom moment. Felt like a few too many convenient moments though, and im still a bit worried theyre going to have Halbrand as Sauron.
Like persuading Galadriel to persuade Numenour to remove his enemies from Mordor* is very, very, on brand for him, but the most important Sauron stuff is whats happening with the elves. Celebrimbor suddenly desperate to finish his forge + the bullshit about them needing mithril to survive. If they dont tie that stuff to Sauron, and i dont see how they can if hes Halbrand, then theyve absolutely fucked it.
Still hoping we havent seen him yet.
There's teasing then there's going round in circles trying to be smart - and they are in danger of doing this.

Isn't it the case that Galadriel can sense Sauron - so surely it can't be Halbrand.

More likely he is going to end up as either one of the Nazgul (possibly the Witch-King) or the King of the Dead.

I did enjoy the reveal of the axe mind. Noticed that Oren had somehow disappeared when the mountain exploded. Also has he f**k killed Sauron. 
I'm totally lost with the geography in this show mind, so no idea what mountain that was and where the Numenoreans landed, not to mention just where in the f**k the Harfoots have been and are going.
The Harfoots look like they are lost!!

First heading south then heading north east.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah i hate this "arrive just in the nick of time" stuff. Like we know for a fact Galadriel and Isildur, as examples, arent dying this season, so stop teasing it.

Mountain was/is Mt Doom, with the "Southlands" being Mordor before Mordor, which it now will be. They, briefly, showed that in the map the Numenorean Queen looked at in the boat, plus the river they sailed up to get close, but quite why they decided to charge full speed over, presumably, hundreds of miles to a tiny village where they had no idea was under attack i dont know.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There's teasing then there's going round in circles trying to be smart - and they are in danger of doing this.

Isn't it the case that Galadriel can sense Sauron - so surely it can't be Halbrand.

More likely he is going to end up as either one of the Nazgul (possibly the Witch-King) or the King of the Dead.

Galadriel should be able to tell its him, but thats book Galadriel who im sure is already married with kids by now. I think Sauron should be with the elves just now and hope thats how it goes. 

I like the idea he has an Aragorn arc but then fails at the end and becomes a Nazgul by accepting a ring, but there was about 4 solid hints hes Sauron in the last episode. We're now down to it being him, The Stranger, or not seen yet.

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The Harfoots look like they are lost!!

First heading south then heading north east.

Theyre headed towards Mordor, think theyre now virtually on the same route as Frodo/Sam now, you see them in the dead marshes (not yet the dead marshes) in episode 5, and i think the north east route is them going around the worst of it.

Presumably theyll witness the eruption in the next episode and by the end of the season we might see The Stranger meet Halbrand/Galadriel, which should clear up a lot.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah i hate this "arrive just in the nick of time" stuff. Like we know for a fact Galadriel and Isildur, as examples, arent dying this season, so stop teasing it.

Mountain was/is Mt Doom, with the "Southlands" being Mordor before Mordor, which it now will be. They, briefly, showed that in the map the Numenorean Queen looked at in the boat, plus the river they sailed up to get close, but quite why they decided to charge full speed over, presumably, hundreds of miles to a tiny village where they had no idea was under attack i dont know.

Galadriel should be able to tell its him, but thats book Galadriel who im sure is already married with kids by now. I think Sauron should be with the elves just now and hope thats how it goes. 

I like the idea he has an Aragorn arc but then fails at the end and becomes a Nazgul by accepting a ring, but there was about 4 solid hints hes Sauron in the last episode. We're now down to it being him, The Stranger, or not seen yet.

Ah, that does clear up some of the geography!

Aye, how did the Numenoreans know where to land and know about this village? The last time Galadriel was on the trail on Sauron was way up in the north, so suddenly they decide to go in the exact opposite direction?

The riders were very Rohan esque stuff.

What if Oren is Sauron?

Edited by DA Baracus

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, how did the Numenoreans know where to land and know about this village? The last time Galadriel was on the trail on Sauron was way up in the north, so suddenly they decide to go in the exact opposite direction?

What if Oren is Sauron?

Theres a few plot holes been shoved into the show so far simply so we can have a nice scene, and its annoying. Either that or theyve cut scenes that help explain things better.

44 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It is a trope, but it makes some degree of sense.

They would have been landing in a port town in the Southlands presumably. In the preceding days several towns and the Elf colonial forces had been attacked by the orc army. You would have had plenty of refugees escaping to a port town to flee on a boat.

Then you can say the Numenoreans worse case scenario were heading full pelt to the old watchtower knowing it would be a rally point for any survivors or for the orcs to gain a foothold. If they hadn't been explicitly told were they were.