Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

49 minutes ago, sfha said:

I tried watching the first episode and it was ok, then the hobbits with Irish accents appeared and I turned over! Is it worth sticking with?

Hard to know yet.

If you love tolkien stuff then stick with it to see the cities etc., the films didnt show. If you've no interest then im unsure. Its still building plots and characters just now.

On 07/09/2022 at 22:56, DA Baracus said:

Aye Gandalf is at the battle of the Pelennor and then marches to Mordor and fights in the battle of the Black Gate, but barely seems to have a mark on his shiny white outfit. 

Yep, it's an obvious plot hole that 'Gandalf does an extra hot Persil cycle while resting between two battles' somehow didn't make the three hours director's cut of ROTK. 

Leaving aside the other minor detail that he's a fucking white wizard and so keeping clothes pristine is really not a challenge. 

8 hours ago, virginton said:

Yep, it's an obvious plot hole that 'Gandalf does an extra hot Persil cycle while resting between two battles' somehow didn't make the three hours director's cut of ROTK. 

Leaving aside the other minor detail that he's a fucking white wizard and so keeping clothes pristine is really not a challenge. 

It was a tough choice as to what to cut, so the Gandalf laundry scene didn't really stand a chance when up against better scenes such as Boromir ironing his tunic, Sam fluffing Frodo and Pippin mainlining heroin.

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hard to know yet.

If you love tolkien stuff then stick with it to see the cities etc., the films didnt show. If you've no interest then im unsure. Its still building plots and characters just now.

I've read the main works, LOTR, Hobbit, Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. The latter two are my favourites and am seriously hoping the series can live up to them. 

On 09/09/2022 at 22:20, RandomGuy. said:

Glad Halbrand doesn't look like being Sauron, them trying to make him anything but evil will be awful. Charming etc, yes, but dont make him sympathetic 

Warg design as said was awful, a pointless change, while the horse riding scene was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Loving seeing all the places and characters though, the world is incredible.

Yeah the warg did look weird, at a couple of points the CG almost looked stop-motion.

Overall liked the episode quite a bit. The stuff with the harfoots is a bit dull at the moment but everything else was quite interesting.

Thought the Warg was awful. Liked the design of the Orcs actually with the skull helmets.

Not really enjoying this as a Tolkien adaptation much. As a generic fantasy show its middling to average. Will keep watching it in the hope it gets better.

The Harfoots are boring and contradictory (nobody gets left behind...except you guy with the gammy leg and the annoying daughter, you get chucked to the back of the line and likely left behind).

Werent Numenorians are meant to be taller than normal men? Yet Halbrand is the same height. And can boot f**k out of 5 of them. For a badge so he can work with the blacksmith.

Galadriel is completely unlikeable. And a bit thick.

Elendil is decent. Actor does a good job and so far one of the better characters. But large portions of the dialogue in this show is awful. Dosent feel like something Tolkien had anything to do with at times. Its bad fan fiction almost.

Early theories

Halbrand will end up as the Witch King or at least a Nazgul. Really long shot if he is Sauron. But if he is, then that Adar chap may be the Witch King.

Meteor Man could be Olorin. So not strictly Gandalf...

Celebrimbor will still be waiting outside Khazad-dûm. 

Celeborn will not get a mention this season.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this show before it started. I've enjoyed it though, entertaining and visually very impressive. They're condensing timelines from the books quite significantly in parts, but I'm on board for it if they tell the stories well.

From chatting to a couple of mates who weren't as keen it seems they were just basically expecting Peter Jackson's style but in a tv show. I personally quite like seeing a different style from different artists and feel the casting has been decent on the whole.

The LOTR trilogy was excellent, but it too made a lot of notable changes, some for the better and arguably some for the worse. And considering the fact that most of the further middle earth works were finished/compiled/created by Christopher Tolkien, I'm happy to except this is an impression of an impression to a certain extent. 

Liked the world building stuff for each of the races, actually got weirdly quite excited seeing new locations etc. 

Been enjoying most of the plot points and while I can appreciate that having less background knowledge may make it less interesting, seeing the development of what appears to be coming has been exciting for me at least. 

Pretty much agree with post above about Halbrand and Meteor man.

Thought the Warg was awful. Liked the design of the Orcs actually with the skull helmets.
Not really enjoying this as a Tolkien adaptation much. As a generic fantasy show its middling to average. Will keep watching it in the hope it gets better.
The Harfoots are boring and contradictory (nobody gets left behind...except you guy with the gammy leg and the annoying daughter, you get chucked to the back of the line and likely left behind).
Werent Numenorians are meant to be taller than normal men? Yet Halbrand is the same height. And can boot f**k out of 5 of them. For a badge so he can work with the blacksmith.
Galadriel is completely unlikeable. And a bit thick.
Elendil is decent. Actor does a good job and so far one of the better characters. But large portions of the dialogue in this show is awful. Dosent feel like something Tolkien had anything to do with at times. Its bad fan fiction almost.

Early theories
Halbrand will end up as the Witch King or at least a Nazgul. Really long shot if he is Sauron. But if he is, then that Adar chap may be the Witch King.
Meteor Man could be Olorin. So not strictly Gandalf...
Celebrimbor will still be waiting outside Khazad-dûm. 
Celeborn will not get a mention this season.

There's also one theory that Meteor Man is Tom Bombadil.

On 06/09/2022 at 20:21, mishtergrolsch said:

I actually laughed out loud at them leaving Celebrimbor outside.

He must have walked for ages to get there and then just gets told he's not getting in and just walk back home on his own. It was fucking hilarious.

Edited by Gordon EF

Was wanting to see how the Harfoots got on with their journey and why have the dwarves got dodgy Scottish accents?

It's getting a bit better but it's nowhere near the quality of the trilogy. 

And the warg looked like it came from a Terrahawks set.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Was wanting to see how the Harfoots got on with their journey and why have the dwarves got dodgy Scottish accents?

The accents are a bit misguided in this, i think.

Having the travelling hobbits speak Irish is an issue in itself, i think.

Found Orla McCool's accent on Derry Girls much more distracting than anything that Lenny Henry & Co are doing in this series given they are quite clearly not trying to portray Irish people. The faux stage Irish accent is just being used as a way to distinguish the different races of Middle Earth. After a couple of minutes I got used to it.

In a similar sort of way Sophia Nomvete's attempt at a Scottish accent would be problematic if she was trying to play Miss Jean Brodie or Senga fae the scheme but I don't find it difficult to deal with in the context of a female dwarf from Middle Earth.