Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought it was alright to be honest. Nothing amazing but decent enough to keep me interested for later episodes.

It's twee as f**k in places and some ropey Scottish accents but I suppose that's pretty much the same as the movies.

So far I'd say it's better than the Hobbit movies but not as good as the main trilogy. Which is about what I expected. Hard to see this taking off the way Amazon obviously want it to with the amount of money they spent on it.

All show and no substance. It looks nice but I was bored out of my nut. I don't get it, you've sunk all that money into it but you've hired writers on a pittance with f**k all track record (Their best was apparently Star Trek into darkness before Simon Pegg, Simon Pegg took over).

The production values can be the best in the world but if you don't hire good writers the game is a bogey. How is it so hard to grasp this?

17 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

All show and no substance. It looks nice but I was bored out of my nut. I don't get it, you've sunk all that money into it but you've hired writers on a pittance with f**k all track record (Their best was apparently Star Trek into darkness before Simon Pegg, Simon Pegg took over).

The production values can be the best in the world but if you don't hire good writers the game is a bogey. How is it so hard to grasp this?

Can't say I've heard of any of the writers but looking on IMDb at least there's writers that have credits for shows like Sopranos, ER, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Stranger things, Half and catch fire and Fringe so there is some track record at least.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Can't say I've heard of any of the writers but looking on IMDb at least there's writers that have credits for shows like Sopranos, ER, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Stranger things, Half and catch fire and Fringe so there is some track record at least.

There may be writers there with that pedigree, but they ain't the showrunners.

Popular on Variety. Amazon boss Jeff Bezos (pictured above, left) thanked “Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” showrunners Patrick McKay and John D. Payne.

21 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

There may be writers there with that pedigree, but they ain't the showrunners.

Popular on Variety. Amazon boss Jeff Bezos (pictured above, left) thanked “Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” showrunners Patrick McKay and John D. Payne.

Ah well that's fair enough. Showrunners are often as much producers as they are writers though so I don't always read into it too much. Loads of my favourite shows like Breaking Bad, sopranos etc were made by people that I'd never heard of before hand.