Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

I'm looking forward to this because I enjoy LOTR and I'm excited to see a new story on screen around that world.

FWIW they'll probably avoid Fingolfan for the same reasons LOTR films did.

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 08/07/2022 at 07:07, RandomGuy. said:

I'm looking forward to this because I enjoy LOTR and I'm excited to see a new story on screen around that world.

FWIW they'll probably avoid Fingolfan for the same reasons LOTR films did.

Because Fingolfin died in the First Age and the movie is 3rd age and the TV show is 2nd age?

Twitter, Youtube, Reddit. All of it is an absolute tidal wave of negativity. I actually think though that it’s not really the show itself. a lot of the hate is coming from people with little more than a passing interest in Tolkien but people are using the show as a focal point for the current zeitgeist; that being backlash against Woke culture and ham-fisted approaches to diversity.
People will have their views one way or another on those things but for me I’m cutting through it with regard to the show and ignoring the hate because I don’t think it’s reality based re the show or based on what we are actually seeing. 
Every still and comment is being twisted back to that core focus and being analysed through that prism.

17 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Because Fingolfin died in the First Age and the movie is 3rd age and the TV show is 2nd age?

I won't lie, I got him mixed up with Glorfindel 😂

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I won't lie, I got him mixed up with Glorfindel 😂

Ah! He could well be in Lindon as counsellor to Gil-galad but he probably only arrived with the Blue Wizards in the year the One Ring was forged. He was near Maiar power by that point and didn’t display his power openly, remaining rather in the background until the 3rd Age and the wars with Angmar.

Edited by Thorongil

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Does Isengard have gender neutral toilets? 

Always a laugh when this thread pops up in the sidebar  :lol:

So I'm going with the Meteor Man being Sauron (which is what most people seem to assume) is a red herring and it'll turn out to be a Blue Wizard. 

I'm also hoping we get loads of Khazad-dûm because it looks cool as f**k. I'm assuming that its Mithril that Durin is holding. Im not certain when its discovered or even if it ms discovery is mentioned anywhere but thats my guess. They did look a bit more like the Hobbit dwarves rather than the LOTR versions which I wasn't a big fan of tbh.

Just please don't f**k it up Amazon.

I hope it is easy to follow for those of us who don't really know the mythology, without annoying all the nerds more committed fans. A tough balance.

Also, I never bothered finishing The Hobbit films. That won't matter, will it?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I hope it is easy to follow for those of us who don't really know the mythology, without annoying all the nerds more committed fans. A tough balance.

Also, I never bothered finishing The Hobbit films. That won't matter, will it?

Thats a good thing...

On 14/07/2022 at 22:54, mishtergrolsch said:

So I'm going with the Meteor Man being Sauron (which is what most people seem to assume) is a red herring and it'll turn out to be a Blue Wizard. 

I'm also hoping we get loads of Khazad-dûm because it looks cool as f**k. I'm assuming that its Mithril that Durin is holding. Im not certain when its discovered or even if it ms discovery is mentioned anywhere but thats my guess. They did look a bit more like the Hobbit dwarves rather than the LOTR versions which I wasn't a big fan of tbh.

Mithril was discovered durin’ the second age

On 14/07/2022 at 22:54, mishtergrolsch said:

Buzzing to hear there’s going to be a lot of Quenya rather than Sindarin. I love Sindarin but this will be a nice change.