Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation - Coming 2nd September 2022 Discussion

Thorongil

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You can have two white people where one has browner skin. 'White' skin also gets browner/pinker/whiter depending on the weather. Don Henley isn't singing about a black girl in Boys of Summer.

Tolkien included evil African and Asian races but they are obviously going to ignored by a 2020s adaptation. 

He mentioned a tribe with browner skin, not hobbits that were just back from holiday.

• 3 months later...

It’s getting closer. What do we know so far?

the “super fans” event was a disaster and somewhat worrisome.

Galadriel looks good.

Gil-galad looks good.

Celebrimbor not as expected but fair enough. 

We have Harfoots.

We have Numenor, Eregion, Lindon, Moria and the Southlands.

Orc images look excellent. 

We should have some first age flashbacks. Finrod, the Two Trees at least. 

The Tolkien Estate has been working closely with the production and has given limited case by case additional one off rights accesses.

Elrond looks alright.

The new characters like Bronwyn and Theo don’t look very interesting so far.

Arondir looks good as a Silvan/Avarin elf. 

We should see Aman and possibly the Valar.

I’m cautiously optimistic.

The Orcs look superb, absolutely nailed it as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm cautiously optimistic as well.

The time condensing is my biggest concern in how that will work, seems like they will get a few characters separated by thousands of years in the book cross over in the series. Also seems like Finrod will be getting more screen time than say Feanor and Fingolfin. I appreciate that they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion/unfinished tales, but I felt like they (Feanor and Fingolfin) both had a bigger part to play than Finrod despite his heroics in Beren and Luthien, always seemed like a small part, looks like the showrunners are gearing him up for a bigger part due to being Galadriels brother.

26 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

That’s great. If you care about fidelity to Tolkien’s work there certainly should be female orcs. Excellent.

The Orc images look fantastic.

Edited by Thorongil

13 hours ago, Camster said:

The Orcs look superb, absolutely nailed it as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm cautiously optimistic as well.

The time condensing is my biggest concern in how that will work, seems like they will get a few characters separated by thousands of years in the book cross over in the series. Also seems like Finrod will be getting more screen time than say Feanor and Fingolfin. I appreciate that they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion/unfinished tales, but I felt like they (Feanor and Fingolfin) both had a bigger part to play than Finrod despite his heroics in Beren and Luthien, always seemed like a small part, looks like the showrunners are gearing him up for a bigger part due to being Galadriels brother.

Time condensing is a worry for me as well. I think we might see a little bit of Feánor in flashbacks but I wold expect that only to be the case with Finrod also. 

Finrod should under no circumstances be in the 2nd age and I’m sure that will be covered by the conditions set by Christopher Tolkien and the Estate. In the 2nd Age Finrod was in Mandos and then returned to Aman where he lived with Finarfin in Eldamar. 

I suspect the image we say is a flashback to the Dagor Bragollach, which Finrod survived but which wiped out Angrod and Aegnor. 

If Galadriel in the story is full of rage over the “death of her brother” as has been hinted, it had better be those two and not him and also there is the fact that the Quendi don’t actually die anyway. 

Edited by Thorongil

The tone and the plotting is going to be aimed at the "young adult" audience. Its going to be a sort of adventure story with some Amazon purchased Tolkien place and person names to give it a kind of nostalgia vibe for the Jackson films (likely the music will basically be a rehash of Howard Shores score). Some wild rumours going around but thats the norm for something that a big company is trying to hype (Numenorean army being 50/50 male female was the one to cause a splash over the weekend). 

Amazon are crazy desperate for something with the nostalgia of Star Wars on Disney so are throwing a fortune to try to manufacture another "cinematic universe". 

On the plus side we have worked out what those intimacy coordinators were for, bit of orc on orc action. 

I was a pass when this was announced, I am a pass now. 

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

The tone and the plotting is going to be aimed at the "young adult" audience. Its going to be a sort of adventure story with some Amazon purchased Tolkien place and person names to give it a kind of nostalgia vibe for the Jackson films (likely the music will basically be a rehash of Howard Shores score). Some wild rumours going around but thats the norm for something that a big company is trying to hype (Numenorean army being 50/50 male female was the one to cause a splash over the weekend). 

Amazon are crazy desperate for something with the nostalgia of Star Wars on Disney so are throwing a fortune to try to manufacture another "cinematic universe". 

On the plus side we have worked out what those intimacy coordinators were for, bit of orc on orc action. 

I was a pass when this was announced, I am a pass now. 

What a depressing take based on no facts.

I read that one of Tolkiens many letters he wrote he was keen for stories to continue to be told about the world he created when he was gone.

I'll admit the series has a "clean" look to it but the world has similar in look to it as Jacksons films as well. I'm not a massive fan if including Hobbits in it either.

But the new trailer has just come out which looks decent. Marketing hasn't been great for this series but they have scored a couple of hits recent for me, look of the Orcs and Gil-Galad being two of them.

Hopefully the full trailer has some action and dialogue which will also show which direction its going in.

On 22/02/2022 at 12:13, welshbairn said:

This is where the ire comes from imo, people associated with the likes of Anders Breivik are huge on Norse Mythology, forgetting that the Vikings did a fair amount of mixing and slaving a long way from home. Banning black actors to appease such a narrow view of Tolkien's imaginary world would be craven.

JRR Tolkien wanted to write a mythology for England as Christianity had pretty much succeeded in eliminating it. He based it on Norse Mythology. He didn't base it on Norse history.

The fact that there were black Vikings is very cool. I'd watch the hell out of that series.

That's history though. Not mythology. 

I hope that you take a breath, read my post again and understand why I brought up the link with Norse mythology. It's because this is a thread about Tolkien and his world being recreated for television.

Bringing up Anders Breivik in this context is passive aggressive and cowardly. 

E.T.A literally nobody is talking about banning black actors. That's a silly and obtuse way to frame this.

Edited by velo army

28 minutes ago, velo army said:

I hope that you take a breath, read my post again

Who are you? If folk insist on changing their usernames that's up to them, but don't blame other posters for not joining the dots.

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Who are you? If folk insist on changing their usernames that's up to them, but don't blame other posters for not joining the dots.

The post I quoted had in turn quoted a post of mine back in February, when I certainly had the same username. The post I just quoted I hadn't spotted before, I don't know why, but the Anders Breivik reference irked me because of what I felt you were implying. It was a weird thing to bring up tbh and seemed unneccessarily argumentative. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

The post I quoted had in turn quoted a post of mine back in February, when I certainly had the same username. The post I just quoted I hadn't spotted before, I don't know why, but the Anders Breivik reference irked me because of what I felt you were implying. It was a weird thing to bring up tbh and seemed unneccessarily argumentative. 

Welshbairn is a bit like that generally. 

11 hours ago, velo army said:

JRR Tolkien wanted to write a mythology for England as Christianity had pretty much succeeded in eliminating it. He based it on Norse Mythology. He didn't base it on Norse history.

Isn't King Arthur and The Matter of Britain considered the definitive English mythology ?