Beep Test

I have the dreaded Beep Test (or Multistage Fitness Test) coming up in around 6 weeks. I need to hit a score of Level 8.8 to pass. Done a practice the other day and hit 8.0. I'm confident that with a few more weeks training and adrenaline on the day etc that I'll be fine. 

Was wondering if anyone has their own experiences or tips on preparing for or actually running it?

1 hour ago, sam2304 said:

I have the dreaded Beep Test (or Multistage Fitness Test) coming up in around 6 weeks. I need to hit a score of Level 8.8 to pass. Done a practice the other day and hit 8.0. I'm confident that with a few more weeks training and adrenaline on the day etc that I'll be fine. 

Was wondering if anyone has their own experiences or tips on preparing for or actually running it?

A long long time ago I had to get myself from couch potato to passing a police fitness test in 6 weeks, I actually managed it despite my creaking limbs and being in my late 30's. So I'd say yes you can get that final 0.8 of a level in 6 weeks .

Is it a 20m bleep test or 15m? Either way I'd say just keep training it and you'll definitely meet the standard as it seems you're not far away at the moment. I had to do a bleep test a few years ago and when I started training for it I could barely hit level 7. I just kept at it and on the day I managed 10.8 or something like that.

One thing I would recommended is turning in different directions at each end (if that makes sense?) Basically, just make sure that you're not putting all the strain on one knee/ankle when you're turning.

23 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Is it a 20m bleep test or 15m? Either way I'd say just keep training it and you'll definitely meet the standard as it seems you're not far away at the moment. I had to do a bleep test a few years ago and when I started training for it I could barely hit level 7. I just kept at it and on the day I managed 10.8 or something like that.

One thing I would recommended is turning in different directions at each end (if that makes sense?) Basically, just make sure that you're not putting all the strain on one knee/ankle when you're turning.

It's the 20 metre.

Thinking back to the other day I was turning and pushing off with my right leg each time so wìll give your suggestion a try. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

No idea how many bleep tests I did back in the day but I never thought of this blindingly obvious piece of advice.

If the fastest speed you need to run at is 12 km/h then get on a treadmill and train at that speed (or slightly faster) and alternate that with 5km runs at a comfortable pace. 

If you are untrained you'll make big improvements in 6 weeks but also be susceptible to injury so I'd say don't run on consecutive days. 

men                       women

excellent     >13                           > 12

very good    11 - 13                10 - 12

good                 9 - 11                  8 - 10

average          7 - 9                       6 - 8

poor                 5 - 7                        4 - 6

very poor        < 5                           < 4

8.8 is bang average, I would be having at least 4 pints before the start.

I had to do a beep test when joining the Prison Service (wwaaaaayy too long ago). The advice on turning above would have been handy, as an ingrown toenail getting slammed into the toe of my trainer meant that 7.2, while not impressive, was fucking painful. Later discussion with the PE staff in the bar revealed that all the Service was looking for was, literally, any improvement over the eleven weeks of the course.  Come the final assessment, then, I coasted to 7.8, then just carried on out through the gym doors and waited in the sunshine for everybody else to finish. I have continued to do the bare minimum for almost a quarter of a century now.

4 hours ago, budmiester1 said:

A long long time ago I had to get myself from couch potato to passing a police fitness test in 6 weeks, I actually managed it despite my creaking limbs and being in my late 30's. So I'd say yes you can get that final 0.8 of a level in 6 weeks .

The entrance fitness test for the Police is hilariously low nowadays. Sure it’s about level 5.4 or run 1.5 miles in 18 minutes for Police Scotland.

15 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The entrance fitness test for the Police is hilariously low nowadays. Sure it’s about level 5.4 or run 1.5 miles in 18 minutes for Police Scotland.

Wow, that is low. My 10 year old performs better on the treadmill than that.

54 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Surely you could walk and achieve 5.4 🤣.

I just had a quick look at the current requirements for the Marines.  To pass the course to get into basic training is a minimum of 11.

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

When I retired my force was using an annual fitness test and it was  exactly this on a 15m run , when I started I had to achieve 7.5 on a 20m run.