FIFA 22

mrpaddyx

I have never played FIFA at all, until I bought FIFA 22. Took me ages just to get to grips with the basic controls, but having gotten the hang of passing, shooting, etc, etc, I set myself up as St Mirren manager, and adjusted the AI gameplay settings to a standard that saw me, as a newbie, able to play competitive matches and enjoy the game. I just won the Scottish Cup by cuffing the Sevco 3-0, and as time expired, with tbe cup won, deliberately halved James Tavernier in two with a needless sliding tackle from behind. What’s not to like about that? 😜😃

• 2 weeks later...

I found Lozano to be absolutely fucking useless comparatively.  Not sure what was up with him.  Might be because he was opposite wee sexy Insigne, who remains fucking incredible.  Not a million miles from my team, that one.

Unfortunately FIFA's decided to give out the tough love now.  Had an absolutely incredible run earlier in the week.  Having struggled to make much progress in Rivals and stuck in lower end of division 4, I won 8 on the spin to move up to 3 before the big reset.  THen thought f**k it, we'll try this new fangled FUT Champs stuff.  Missed out once on the playoffs, but second time around I made it in with a couple of games to spare. Surely Champs itself wouldn't be much different, right?

Wrong.  It's fucking brutal.  Getting absolutely stomped either by people clearly better, or ones spamming shite moves, or a bit of both.  At least with the new setup I'll be getting something in reward, but can't see it improving much. 

EDIT: Got a few wins now, every single one of them given by people forfeiting immediately.  Might be in the minority, but I fucking hate that.  And 2 quit at 0-0, wasting everyone's time.

Edited by forameus

EA are terrific trolls.  Their very name is almost used as a slur and a synonym for greedy, microtransaction related shenanigans.  Yet they know even if the very product is named that, there'll still be hundreds of thousands queueing up for early access, and hundreds of thousands more waiting on day 1.

5 hours ago, forameus said:

EA are terrific trolls.  Their very name is almost used as a slur and a synonym for greedy, microtransaction related shenanigans.  Yet they know even if the very product is named that, there'll still be hundreds of thousands queueing up for early access, and hundreds of thousands more waiting on day 1.

So why would they not? People need to learn not to part with their money for something shit or companies will keep offering up the same money traps.

19 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

So why would they not? People need to learn not to part with their money for something shit or companies will keep offering up the same money traps.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think EA are absolutely masters at it.  I'd almost say I admired them for it (if it didn't also have the darker, more predatory side).  They've built a system where they can put very, very little effort in to keep things stable (and sometimes not even that given the number of issues they have in a live service) and it's essentially a cash machine for them.  

Edited by forameus

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What does that even mean? I'm genuinely not being a dick. 

EA and the video game industry as a whole prey on people that they see as "whales". Those whales, in an ideal world, would simply be people wealthy enough to buy as much in-game currency as they want and not feel it financially. However that is very, very rarely the case, frequently it ends up being people with gambling issues, an addictive personality, people with mental illnesses or children who don't fully understand what they are doing and if they do realise they don't care about the ramifications. So for a lot of those people they can't just learn not to buy stuff, especially if it is targeted or sold in a certain way to them. 
It's malicious and insidious and a real scourge in the video game industry.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

Just now, Stellaboz said:

What does that even mean? I'm genuinely not being a dick. 

Not who you're replying to, but to me it's this.  They use all kinds of psychological tricks to shepherd you towards spending money.  It's not gotten quite so bad as something like GTAO, you can still have a fairly decent time with the game without spending a penny, but you are still constantly reminded that you could give them some cash and get to open some packs.  Through all the animations they go through when you do open, to the extra ones when you get something good, to limiting the time certain things are available, it's all just the little things to eat away at you and focus your mind on spending to get ahead, or even just some respite.  

Now I don't necessarily disagree with that part.  There's a market, people will spend, but it's similar to where gambling sat before they had to do all the "but of course we're utter c***s" messages at the end of all their adverts.  Bookies would quite happily rinse someone until they were a broken addict, as they knew those people would be a decent source of income for them.  You've got to get a lot of people coming in and putting the odd accumulator on to equal one guy who simply can't say no.  This stuff is hovering around that stage now, as EA know full well that there's people out there providing the vast amount of their income, and they're not just happy about that, they're actively trying to make sure they keep doing it.  

Some kind of action needs to be taken to regulate things, but I'm not convinced we'll ever see it.  EA aren't stupid, they'll have next steps planned already for when it gets cracked down on (personally I'm almost certain we'll eventually see specific players being able to be bought for real money...removes the gambling aspect, keeps profits, but ultimately ruins the game...*shrug* say EA).  

EDIT: Mr Brightside already replied far more succinctly, and the only bit I'd disagree with on that is the "kids" angle.  I don't quite blame EA for this part because kids should never even get to the point where they have the ability to spend real money on FIFA.  So many of these stories that come out would've been quickly stopped with some basic parenting.  Obviously there's an age cut off to that, and it's not like once you stop being a kid at some arbitrary age you're fair game for this stuff, but it's always a pet peeve to see the frowning parent who was happy to let them have access to a bank account criticising someone else for their own negligence.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

This video explains things much better than I ever could, and I will never not link it when this discussion comes up.

I'll give it a watch tonight. Thanks for the replies, I genuinely haven't thought about it as such. I don't buy Fifa every year nor go online when I play it, so I'm limited to what's going on.

I knew about packs and stuff which I get it, its a bit like stickers back in the day. You want the shiny Messi etc. 

37 minutes ago, forameus said:

EDIT: Mr Brightside already replied far more succinctly, and the only bit I'd disagree with on that is the "kids" angle.  I don't quite blame EA for this part because kids should never even get to the point where they have the ability to spend real money on FIFA.  So many of these stories that come out would've been quickly stopped with some basic parenting.  Obviously there's an age cut off to that, and it's not like once you stop being a kid at some arbitrary age you're fair game for this stuff, but it's always a pet peeve to see the frowning parent who was happy to let them have access to a bank account criticising someone else for their own negligence.

Specifically in this case, FIFA is a game that is labelled as for what, ages "3+" or something, as a parent that might not know much about video games, you would not expect gambling to be in this game. If FIFA wants to include loot mechanics then it should be rated as an "18" because it is gambling. In saying this, the parents do obviously share some responsibility, but I find it easy to sympathise that they just wouldn't expect these sorts of things to be in a game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it’s official, EA and Fifa are splitting ways after almost 30 years together. The next entry will be the last with EA creating their own branded football game thereafter (no doubt the last edition will be called Fifa 23: The End).

Not sure how this is going to effect the average player other than not having the Fifa name on the box or having a World Cup edition every 4 years. I’m all for a new competitor entering the market and disrupting the Fifa Points “pay to win” mechanics that have dominated the game in recent years. Whilst that is my main gripe I’d also look for EA or anyone to produce a football game online which is consistently lag free. If Fortnite, Elder Scrolls etc can do it for games that involve a large number of players , surely it can’t be that hard for a football game between 2 people? 

The only party it's really huge for is EA, as they'll now be saving a fucking huge chunk of money with little risk.  Konami changed their product name, and how many people still call it PES?  Or Pro Evo?  For how long were CM and FM interchangable?  People will still refer to it as FIFA, and I think we're well past the days of your Granny Ethel going down to HMV to pick up a present for Little Timmy and getting confused.  Vast majority of people will pre-order for the bonuses and won't care what it's called.

Worst part for me was the marketing blurb that came out with it, talking about how they believe in innovation and the like.  c***s haven't innovated anything other than growing their bank accounts in years.