FIFA 22

mrpaddyx

It was a year ago today that I started the Fifa 21 thread so it seems as good as any time to start a new one for Fifa 22.

I'm not sure how well 21 will be regarded in a few years’ time but the fact that the thread for last year’s game died several months ago probably tells its own story.

As usual EA are promising all sorts of new innovations for the latest instalment including female players for Pro Clubs and the ability to create your own club. The latter of which is good for me as after an absence of 24 years I'll be able to play with Raith Rovers in a Fifa title.

What I really want is consistent, fun gameplay, especially online and a plethora of modes with tons of grindable content. What we will actually get is up to whatever EA have been able to cobble together in a pandemic ridden year.

As last year I'll likely be buying the PS4 version but I'm planning on getting a PS5 when stock availability and disposable cash allow it (ha ha).

I gave up with 21 by January this year, and even then I'd stopped playing for a while after getting a PS5 at release.

I've preordered 22 anyway as I'll always play the first 2 or 3 months of FUT, as that's the best part. I doubt I'll go much beyond that but it depends on how many more delays other games end up with.

Even if there are some improvements in the game they'll no doubt be balanced by new issues anyway.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

16 minutes ago, Tubbs said:

I'm only looking for 2 things.

No more rigged games and far less games against better quality opposition.

How does the latter even work? You get matched against people you're much better than? Is their some abnormality I've missed?

On 04/08/2021 at 20:10, mrpaddyx said:

It was a year ago today that I started the Fifa 21 thread so it seems as good as any time to start a new one for Fifa 22.

I'm not sure how well 21 will be regarded in a few years’ time but the fact that the thread for last year’s game died several months ago probably tells its own story.

As usual EA are promising all sorts of new innovations for the latest instalment including female players for Pro Clubs and the ability to create your own club. The latter of which is good for me as after an absence of 24 years I'll be able to play with Raith Rovers in a Fifa title.

What I really want is consistent, fun gameplay, especially online and a plethora of modes with tons of grindable content. What we will actually get is up to whatever EA have been able to cobble together in a pandemic ridden year.

As last year I'll likely be buying the PS4 version but I'm planning on getting a PS5 when stock availability and disposable cash allow it (ha ha).

That's kinda cool I suppose. I had wondered what the appeal of creating a club actually was but hadn't really considered if your team wasn't in the game it would be nice. 

I'm guessing the new game will be the exact same as the last and people will spunk ridiculous amounts on Ultimate Team and therefore keep it going. I'm hoping they've made some improvements on Pro Clubs and will hopefully grind that from the start. 

Ideally, they'll put even the slightest hint of effort into Pro Clubs or at least return some of the more entertaining elements they've stripped from it over the years, but I won't hold my breath. Unfortunately, every resource EA has will be allocated towards making UT even more of a cesspit or adding more to Volta (who on earth is even playing that?). With the exception of a few ridiculous skill moves, this year's was one of the least flawed gameplay-wise in recent years, so hopefully they can iron things out further. In recent years they've seemed to always want a couple of skill moves to be hilariously OP at any one time, though.

I got a beta code yesterday that allows me to play every game mode and pro clubs is probably at the bottom of my list to play tbh. We used to play it loads but it's got worse over the years and we probably played about 3 games the whole of 21. There's nothing to suggest they've done anything different with it this year but will be interested to see.

Career mode is where I spend most of my time so I'm out unless they've sorted that. PES being free to play now should make it easier to avoid caving in and buying Fifa anyway. 

Going to wait until around December and see what the verdict is. 

Got a beta code for Ultimate Team and Kick off. 

Few obvious changes 

• YOLO 40 yard through balls seem to be ineffective
  • Skills moves now seem to be more dependent on a players stats. Tried a heel to heel with Troy Deeney and the ball ended up 20 years away 
  • 2nd man press seems a little OP
  • Keepers are toilet
  • There is a notable difference in pace between a player who should be quick and one who isn't, as notable a difference as i can remember. 
  • New Rivals and Champs ladder system looks like it will offer players a much better balance

Think I'm going to leave this one, to be honest.  Which is a pretty sad fall given how much time I put into 20.  21 has just been a parade of absolute shithousery from EA, and everything I've heard so far points to them continuing along those lines (and to be honest, why would they?  It's working for them).  Also looks like they're doubling down on it becoming a part time job if you want to keep up, which can get so far to f**k.

8 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

• Keepers are toilet

I've been playing Ultimate Team, I had a 65 rated keeper, the amount of near post goals I conceded was ridiculous.

I think the pace of the game has slowed down a bit. I've been double tapping R2 to knock the ball forward and I'd say on about three occasions I've managed to keep the ball in play. 

Seems okay at the moment, not sure how some people have managed to get the likes of Neymar and Mbappe in their side already. 

7 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

I've been playing Ultimate Team, I had a 65 rated keeper, the amount of near post goals I conceded was ridiculous.

I think the pace of the game has slowed down a bit. I've been double tapping R2 to knock the ball forward and I'd say on about three occasions I've managed to keep the ball in play. 

Seems okay at the moment, not sure how some people have managed to get the likes of Neymar and Mbappe in their side already. 

Pack weights are mental in the beta, rewards are given daily so it’s pretty easy to build a solid team.

Skill moves certainly aren’t as effective, directional nutmeg etc has deffo been toned down however it plays ok imo.

Keepers are LOL near post shots are a joke 

• 3 weeks later...

The pay to win crowd in early then, must be so satisfying spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on a fictional currency just to beat someone on fifa.

On 30/08/2021 at 19:32, Empty It said:

The pay to win crowd in early then, must be so satisfying spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on a fictional currency just to beat someone on fifa.

I haven't played it since I posted that, but I am fairly certain you can't buy packs on the Beta. 

I don't have much interest in buying it this year, will go back to FM! 

Only going to buy it if I replicate last year and get a couple of coupons up this month so it can be paid from my winnings. Wouldn't mind playing with my mates in the new co-op modes but not particularly fussed about getting it day one after the overall disappointment of 21.

I also watched a video EA posted last night of two pros playing their first game and within 10mins one of them was 2-0 up because of finesse shots from outside the box. Good to see the keepers still look horrible.