Queen’s Park v Cove Rangers

What a shocking performance today, none of them seemed to want it.

As said, complete petulance from Fyvie in getting sent off and we were never in the game after that.

Cracking free-kick from Murray, but what a complete f**k up from Gourlay for the second. If he starts next week then questions will be asked.

None of these experienced heads that Hartley has signed have impressed at all.

I'd drop Gourlay, Neill, Vigurs, Leitch for McKenzie, Ross, Scully and Masson. Seems to be our Highland League players are the only ones who seem interested.

Took this match in and generally enjoyed myself - other than a lull midway through the first half, there was a lot to like. Queen's Park deserved the win, no doubt about it, but Cove Rangers really shot themselves right through their big feet. Fraser Fyvie was red carded for a bad tackle just before the interval (I'd need to see it again but his sheepish reaction suggests the referee was correct) and then Kyle Gourlay sold the jerseys for Bob McHugh's goal. Slicing a clearance is one thing but letting an innocuous shot from outside the box spill through your fingers is something else entirely. I don't particularly rate Stuart McKenzie but I'd much rather have him in goal than a dumpling like Gourlay!

I'm not quite sure what to make of Queen's Park, and I'm still not sure after this game. They really looked the part against 10 men and should have scored three or four, but too many times in the first half they resorted to shelling channel balls for Simon Murray to run onto. Also, I didn't really like what I saw from Calum Biggar - his 45 minutes on the pitch were so negative, I don't think he passed the ball forward once. If I was Laurie Ellis, I would encourage everything to go through Liam Brown - he lost the ball a couple of times (and one of them, on the edge of his own penalty area, could have been fatal) but he's such a bright, intelligent player and can take opponents out of the game with a little shake of his hips. He's really grown into a smashing player after his disappointment at Motherwell and I hope he does the Spiders a good turn this term.

Queen's Park really did seem to enjoy themselves after the second goal and some of the counter-attacking football and the interplay between the forward players was great to watch. Gourlay redeemed himself somewhat with a couple of good saves but, as mentioned earlier, QP could have run up and handsome scoreline. Wullie Muir was fine on the rare occasions he was called upon, the back four looked solid enough (although I'm not convinced about Tommy Robson) and Brown can be a catalyst.

What about Cove Rangers? There were times they looked quite good. Blair Yule was probably my man of the match and he really did he best to carry the ball forward and drive his team up the park, and Rory McAllister put in a good shift when he came on, but I don't think they're getting value for money from their "big-name" players. Fyvie let his team-mates down with that tackle (why snap someone in the middle of the pitch with half-time approaching?) and although Ian Vigurs chipped in with some genuinely glorious passes, you'd like to see more from him than just "pointing". Good to see Morgyn Neill still has some of the worst distribution I've seen from a centre-back in the lower leagues.

Good luck to both teams going forward this season.

19 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Took this match in and generally enjoyed myself - other than a lull midway through the first half, there was a lot to like. Queen's Park deserved the win, no doubt about it, but Cove Rangers really shot themselves right through their big feet. Fraser Fyvie was red carded for a bad tackle just before the interval (I'd need to see it again but his sheepish reaction suggests the referee was correct) and then Kyle Gourlay sold the jerseys for Bob McHugh's goal. Slicing a clearance is one thing but letting an innocuous shot from outside the box spill through your fingers is something else entirely. I don't particularly rate Stuart McKenzie but I'd much rather have him in goal than a dumpling like Gourlay!

I'm not quite sure what to make of Queen's Park, and I'm still not sure after this game. They really looked the part against 10 men and should have scored three or four, but too many times in the first half they resorted to shelling channel balls for Simon Murray to run onto. Also, I didn't really like what I saw from Calum Biggar - his 45 minutes on the pitch were so negative, I don't think he passed the ball forward once. If I was Laurie Ellis, I would encourage everything to go through Liam Brown - he lost the ball a couple of times (and one of them, on the edge of his own penalty area, could have been fatal) but he's such a bright, intelligent player and can take opponents out of the game with a little shake of his hips. He's really grown into a smashing player after his disappointment at Motherwell and I hope he does the Spiders a good turn this term.

Queen's Park really did seem to enjoy themselves after the second goal and some of the counter-attacking football and the interplay between the forward players was great to watch. Gourlay redeemed himself somewhat with a couple of good saves but, as mentioned earlier, QP could have run up and handsome scoreline. Wullie Muir was fine on the rare occasions he was called upon, the back four looked solid enough (although I'm not convinced about Tommy Robson) and Brown can be a catalyst.

What about Cove Rangers? There were times they looked quite good. Blair Yule was probably my man of the match and he really did he best to carry the ball forward and drive his team up the park, and Rory McAllister put in a good shift when he came on, but I don't think they're getting value for money from their "big-name" players. Fyvie let his team-mates down with that tackle (why snap someone in the middle of the pitch with half-time approaching?) and although Ian Vigurs chipped in with some genuinely glorious passes, you'd like to see more from him than just "pointing". Good to see Morgyn Neill still has some of the worst distribution I've seen from a centre-back in the lower leagues.

Good luck to both teams going forward this season.

@Francesc Fabregas completely agree with everything you said about Cove except I quite rate McKenzie who was L1 keeper of the year last season and looked accomplished. He's got a good partnership with our usual back four

Blair did everything he could today and always does. Scully not starting is hard to stomach.

Fyvie's red mist was massively costly when I thought that game was poised and could have gone either way.

Gourlay is a bombscare and Neill likewise. Hit the nail on the head with his distribution. I cringe whenever he has the ball at his feet. Hopefully Scott Ross will partner Strachan.

Vigurs in games at times will be mute but has the ability to play a killer pass. 

Mitch is crying out for a strike partner.

We get our best XI out there in the right formation and we'll excel and get wins but if we have Gourlay, Neill, Draper in the spine and Mitch stranded by himself we won't

Edited by CoveRangers1922

40 minutes ago, CRFC Blue said:

What a shocking performance today, none of them seemed to want it.

As said, complete petulance from Fyvie in getting sent off and we were never in the game after that.

Cracking free-kick from Murray, but what a complete f**k up from Gourlay for the second. If he starts next week then questions will be asked.

None of these experienced heads that Hartley has signed have impressed at all.

I'd drop Gourlay, Neill, Vigurs, Leitch for McKenzie, Ross, Scully and Masson. Seems to be our Highland League players are the only ones who seem interested.

Exactly this. We have the players to be a strong side in this division (we had them before PH started his summer recruitment!). We just needed a striker partner for Mitch and a CB. Hartley has got giddy at the thought of ex prem players and just signed players without thinking about how they'd fit in or play together.

Down to Hartley to get selection and formation right. It's plain to see he's loathe to drop any of his signings he's probably justified hard to get on long term deals.

A good win against a team who tore us apart a couple of years ago. Still a game of two halves though and the ten-men change wasn’t about the extra man for us, more to do with Cove losing Fyvie who had been their most influential player in the first half. But we made the best of that and when both your strikers score it’s always a good day. Credit for Laurie for putting two up front to take advantage of the head count. Also the player switch for left wing made a difference; first time I’ve seen Biggar looking so out of it. McHugh’s liveliness helped distract from Murray’s two misses. I liked his attitude in his post-match on that and I’m sure he’ll get there. Despite Cove looking threatening with their forward movement, Willie wasn’t really tested and his back four all put in a good shift. Morrison was his best yet and Fox flawless. Laurie’s got some big choices to make soon.

As for Cove, the dynamism disappeared when Fyvie left and that must be a worry that so much is built around one player. Megginson clearly had a frustrating afternoon and McAllister’s introduction offered nothing better. The big fella looked very sluggish, not at all the threat I remember.  For a physically strong team I was surprised at how many players had an extended time lying on the grass. Perhaps the bigger concern for Cove fans though is the way they crumpled mentally as the game wore on. It’s always a risk for a team used to winning to forget how not to lose. I suspect this will be a test for Hartley too as he offered nothing creative for his team and went very quiet from about 70 mins. 

29 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

Murray’s goal is better the second time round and the goalkeeping is worse on a second viewing as well. 

Jesus Christ I knew the second goal was a complete disaster watching it live but watching it again gives me the chills. 

The "clearance" was schoolboy stuff but the flap from McHugh's shot, which seemingly had very little power and wasn't exactly looping, was arguably much worse. If you look closer the ball was going into the middle of the goal at head height or less - inexcusable

GOURLAY OUT

Some freekick by Murray

I was really surprised watching the Cove tactics of lying about on the surface for most of the first half. They are a big strong team and yet crumpled under the slightest of touches from our wee boys. Stuart Morrison, what a performance. Am really pleased at the way we continue to pass the ball about the park.    

21 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Yikesssss that keeper, second one is a belter. Even the first one is keeper’s fault - great strike but it is his side not even the very top corner. Any decent keeper palming it away. 

Exactly, a complete and utter bombscare of a keeper. I take no pride in saying on P&B for the last 3 weeks that Gourlay is nowhere near good enough and is clamatitous and prone to flaps.

See what next week brings. 

2 hours ago, NathanQP said:

Murray’s goal is better the second time round and the goalkeeping is worse on a second viewing as well. 

Good choice having Jimmy Nic hosting the flag. Why was Peter Grant involved when Davie Galt was club captain last season (and had a free Saturday yesterday) and Mike Doyle is club captain this season?

12 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Good choice having Jimmy Nic hosting the flag. Why was Peter Grant involved when Davie Galt was club captain last season (and had a free Saturday yesterday) and Mike Doyle is club captain this season?

The website explained that Peter Grant was chosen as he was team captain and missed the celebrations at Falkirk due to his operation.

A really excellent three points. The red swung it for us, but it was deserved. Fyvie is a horrible player. Not the first time he’s done that against us. Got what he deserved this time.

Thought we were outstanding in the second half. Moved the ball with purpose and really should have scored two or three more. Murray offers us so much in terms of stretching the play and creating opportunities. McHugh was known as a guy who did well from the bench at other clubs, so maybe that’s to be his role for us. Certainly a much improved performance.  Thought Gillespie was excellent again in that unsung role of doing the dirty work.

Expected much more of Cove, but they were extremely poor. Decent atmosphere again as well, which is something we always struggled with at Hampden. Firhill is going to be the death of me, though. Every game basically feels like an away day.