Windows 11

I've installed it after being given the option to during a normal update. So far I like it. Initially the start button and icons etc are centered on the taskbar, but very easy to move it to the right so it look like the traditional layout. Seems to be faster opening things like pictures, file manager etc, and I prefer the layout of the settings menus and menu bars. And you can also stop Cortana from running all the time.

I was hesitant about installing it at first, but no issues doing so. My desktop was exactly the same after as it was before, no loss of data or history etc from any of the browsers I use.

Edited by Soapy FFC

PC is saying it’s up to date. I’ve checked through the supported intel processors list and the i5’s cuts off at the 8500’s so I think I might have just missed the boat. I’m not overly arsed but was just a bit taken back that my PC is officially past it.
I had similar issues trying to install the last major update for 10 - then checked my BIOS and realised it was not up-to-date. Updated the BIOS and it then installed the update fine.

I've installed it after being given the option to during a normal update. So far I like it. Initially the start button and icons etc are centered on the taskbar, but very easy to move it to the right so it look like the traditional layout. Seems to be faster opening things like pictures, file manager etc, and I prefer the layout of the settings menus and menu bars. And you can also stop Cortana from running all the time.
I was hesitant about installing it at first, but no issues doing so. My desktop was exactly the same after as it was before, no loss of data or history etc from any of the browsers I use.
Cortana is just a resource hogging piece of shit.

I installed it last night on 2 machines. Went with no issues and everything seems to be working with no problems - the layout is slightly different but after a couple of hours of usage I will get used to that.  My son reckons it is smoother for playing games.  The only minor issue is that I seem to not be getting Skype notifications now if I'm not in the Skype window - the notification pops up as soon as I click on the Skype icon in the taskbar which is pointless. No big deal.

My laptop is 8 year old and I've done a couple of upgrades to it (extra RAM and replaced the HDD with a SSD) but I'm one fucking version of my AMD4 processor short from being able to upgrade (I have the 4500 and you need the 5000 or better).  Think processors are fairly cheap these days,

• 2 months later...

Got a new PC and it is updating to Win 11. Anyone any idea how to get rid of the login screen at start up and just go straight to the desktop. Don't really want to be having to enter a password every time I boot it up or restart it. Could do that on my Win 10 PC but I think that was maybe cause I was set up on a local account which seems to have been removed now

4 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Got a new PC and it is updating to Win 11. Anyone any idea how to get rid of the login screen at start up and just go straight to the desktop. Don't really want to be having to enter a password every time I boot it up or restart it. Could do that on my Win 10 PC but I think that was maybe cause I was set up on a local account which seems to have been removed now

It looks like local accounts have been removed.

Im not sure of a way round it, but I set up a PIN to login on W10. Its a bit easier and quicker than a password

Im not sure of a way round it, but I set up a PIN to login on W10. Its a bit easier and quicker than a password
Aye its been removed at initial setup, forcing you to make a Microsoft account. You can make one once you can get into settings and then you can have no sign in screen. The Microsoft account user doesn't allow for this option because of security.

53 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
1 hour ago, Homer Thompson said:

Aye its been removed at initial setup, forcing you to make a Microsoft account. You can make one once you can get into settings and then you can have no sign in screen. The Microsoft account user doesn't allow for this option because of security.

Ah, good to know.

I've just finished the upgrade. All seemed painless enough and I even managed to work out how to move the start menu from its ridiculous centre position