Windows 11

https://www.pcgamer.com/now-is-the-best-time-to-preview-windows-11-as-it-lands-in-the-beta-channel/

I was keen to try Windows 11 early so had signed up to the Beta, wasn't brave enough to try to the Dev builds.

It downloaded and installed this morning on my PC. The restart to complete the installation was very quick.

The UI does feel slicker and more responsive, when you click on something the animation feels more fluid.

So far everything seems to work OK so far. There hasn't been anything I've tried that hasn't work... so far.

Has anyone else taken the plunge with Windows 11 yet?

Any particularly noteworthy changes? With Windows, you generally get incremental updates that seem like they could easily have been included in the previous version, or catastrophic sweeping changes that everybody hates, and that have to be rolled back or drastically improved.

I quite liked the idea that Windows 10 would be the last one, and it would just be updated forever, but I guess they realised that it's hard to get publicity without shiny new releases. Anything I've heard about Windows 11 seems to have been pretty meh so far. I've only just upgraded all my machines to 10, so it might be a while before I use it  :lol:

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Any particularly noteworthy changes? With Windows, you generally get incremental updates that seem like they could easily have been included in the previous version, or catastrophic sweeping changes that everybody hates, and that have to be rolled back or drastically improved.

I quite liked the idea that Windows 10 would be the last one, and it would just be updated forever, but I guess they realised that it's hard to get publicity without shiny new releases. Anything I've heard about Windows 11 seems to have been pretty meh so far. I've only just upgraded all my machines to 10, so it might be a while before I use it  :lol:

Apparently, theyve centered everything, including the start menu. I'll be waiting for the first patch/hack that puts it all back before installing.

It runs Android apps, apparently. Which we've definitely all been waiting for.

Just now, Mr X said:

Apparently, theyve centered everything, including the start menu. I'll be waiting for the first patch/hack that puts it all back before installing.

It runs Android apps, apparently. Which we've definitely all been waiting for.

Yeah, I saw that mentioned somewhere. Microsoft absolutely detest the Start button, and their customers for refusing to let them kill it.

I saw something about how they're hoping to move towards an Apple-style system where you can only install programs through their App Store, with them taking a wee slice of money every time. So, still obsessed with turning PCs into mobile phones, and looking to end the massive advantage that the PC platform has over pretty much everything else. Marvellous.

43 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, I saw that mentioned somewhere. Microsoft absolutely detest the Start button, and their customers for refusing to let them kill it.

I saw something about how they're hoping to move towards an Apple-style system where you can only install programs through their App Store, with them taking a wee slice of money every time. So, still obsessed with turning PCs into mobile phones, and looking to end the massive advantage that the PC platform has over pretty much everything else. Marvellous.

The whole thing looks very maccy.

Are you sure that wasnt the Android apps they were talking about? They will only be installable via an app store

52 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The whole thing looks very maccy.

Are you sure that wasnt the Android apps they were talking about? They will only be installable via an app store

Aye, no, I think this was the plan for further down the line. Wish I'd paid more attention now.

• 2 months later...

I force downloaded it out of curiosity, took maybe an hour, but mostly in the background so you can keep doing other stuff. Haven't noticed much difference yet apart from the start screen appearing in the centre. Can't get Android apps to work yet which I was really after.

On 09/10/2021 at 08:16, SweeperDee said:

My PC isn’t compatible apparently, due to my i5-7400 3.0Ghz CPU not meeting the requirements. Am I doomed to windows 10 forever or will I be able to install it eventually?

You should be fine according to this...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications

Was wondering what Windows 11 did that a quad-core processor wouldn't be enough to run it  :blink:

Maybe Sweeper's running a 486 with a hacked processor name that Windows 95 reports as an i5?

FWIW I find it strange that a 4 year old PC (albeit with a low-mid CPU by todays standards) can’t run windows 11. Everything else about the device is fine.

Would it be safe to hypothetically find an image of W11 and try to install it? Surely it’s not more demanding than W10?

4 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

FWIW I find it strange that a 4 year old PC (albeit with a low-mid CPU by todays standards) can’t run windows 11. Everything else about the device is fine.

Would it be safe to hypothetically find an image of W11 and try to install it? Surely it’s not more demanding than W10?

Have you got the latest Windows 10 updates? If you haven't it might be worth doing that and trying again for 11.

Anyway, if you can't you're not missing much and they've said they'll keep supporting 10 till 2025.

Have you got the latest Windows 10 updates? If you haven't it might be worth doing that and trying again for 11.
Anyway, if you can't you're not missing much and they've said they'll keep supporting 10 till 2025.

PC is saying it’s up to date. I’ve checked through the supported intel processors list and the i5’s cuts off at the 8500’s so I think I might have just missed the boat. I’m not overly arsed but was just a bit taken back that my PC is officially past it.

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

PC is saying it’s up to date. I’ve checked through the supported intel processors list and the i5’s cuts off at the 8500’s so I think I might have just missed the boat. I’m not overly arsed but was just a bit taken back that my PC is officially past it.

Just checked what I've got and yours looks more powerful.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.20 GHz

11 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

It's surely just a glitch of some sort. Check out the minimum specs at this random link.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

It's surely just a glitch of some sort. Check out the minimum specs at this random link.

I've been looking at it; but there's various sites saying that the W11 support for 7th Gen chips is bare minimum for whatever reason, in that there's only a handful of 7th Gen chips that support it.

963110310_Screenshot2021-10-10at13_33_18.png.580902fed561d749f07d0e0f190282f6.png

I'd have thought someone would bring out a workaround for that, unless Windows 11 really does require a new Halo game to run in the background while you're struggling to surf with Edge  :blink: