NCAA Football 2023

Liamjones

I'd be surprised if they didn't give it to TCU as they're more deserving of it than Alabama. As they only lost the conference championship game by a bawhair they might even be kept at #3 ahead of Ohio State. My guess is the semi finals might be something like this-

Peach Bowl - Georgia v Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl - Michigan v TCU

Just to see how badly I can get this wrong here's my predictions for the rest of the big bowls.

Rose - Utah v Penn State

Sugar - Alabama v Kansas State

Orange - Clemson v Tennessee

Cotton - USC v Tulane

I'm confused by the system again.

According to Wikipedia, they've already decided who plays in the semi-finals, to be played around the New Year.

But, BT Sport are listing a bunch of quarter-finals being shown this weekend?

So are the playoff teams set or not? If so, what are the BT games for and do the playoff teams just sit around twiddling their thumbs for three weeks? Why don't they play more rounds?

16 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm confused by the system again.

According to Wikipedia, they've already decided who plays in the semi-finals, to be played around the New Year.

But, BT Sport are listing a bunch of quarter-finals being shown this weekend?

So are the playoff teams set or not? If so, what are the BT games for and do the playoff teams just sit around twiddling their thumbs for three weeks? Why don't they play more rounds?

This weekend's games are for the level below so a different set of playoffs altogether. That's the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision), the more familiar league is the FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision).

There's no promotion or relegation between the two, but occasionally a team from the FCS might get invited to join the bigger league.

The FBS playoffs are due to expand to 12 teams in a couple of years' time, which considering there's about 130 teams seems overdue.

Absolutely agree that it's a confusing setup.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would this be a big shock if TCU hold on?

A pretty big shock, yeah. TCU are obviously a very good team by virtue of being in the playoff, but Michigan were a big favourite. 

That turnover and resulting TD could well be a turning point.