Championship Hot Potato 2021/22

In an homage to @johnnydun.

I have the great honour of  opening the Championship Hot Potato thread for season 2021/22.

This season we are again sponsored by @Toby.

It is with regret that I report that my own team, Ayr United, are the custodians of the Hot Potato after losing to Kilmarnock in Week 1. 😱

Next up for Ayr, are Arbroath. Hopefully you'll have some chips to go with your smokies, Red Lichties.

Week 2 Update

The Honest Men could only muster a draw (which was a smash and grab at that!) against the Red Lichties. No chips with their smokies but a share of the points.

Next up for Ayr is the Caley away on the 21st. Hopefully the highlanders will take the hot potato off our hands. 

Its only two weeks in and this scunnered Ayr fan is beginning to think the only thing we'll win with Hopkin in charge is the Hot Potato. *Sigh*

Edited by Trogdor

• 2 weeks later...

Week 3 Update

The Honest Men travelled to the Highlanders and were ably despatched by a clearance that either cannoned off McGinty or Walsh. Not quite sure - had we fluked a draw we would have kept the potato in any case.

Having made no attempt to win the game its beginning to look like Hopkin has his sights firmly set on winning the hot potato. I'm not quite sure why? 

A potato:

images.jpeg-1.jpg.763bd7f755b5dc7f62b85da09e69fb99.jpg.7b6dcd624bc552edf4b8c1667ee190f4.jpg

David Hopkin:

images.jpeg.jpg.8b6d4e5ab93a34b638b8eddde7fe5a05.jpg.c11083b0b5e7928d0377a38c92dc52b1.jpg

Next up for the Honest Men is Raith Rovers at Somerset. Hopefully the Fifers will take the Potato and/or Hopkin with them. Preferably both!

Week 3 Update
The Honest Men travelled to the Highlanders and were ably despatched by a clearance that either cannoned off McGinty or Walsh. Not quite sure - had we fluked a draw we would have kept the potato in any case.
Having made no attempt to win the game its beginning to look like Hopkin has his sights firmly set on winning the hot potato. I'm not quite sure why? 
A potato:
images.jpeg-1.jpg.763bd7f755b5dc7f62b85da09e69fb99.jpg.7b6dcd624bc552edf4b8c1667ee190f4.jpg
David Hopkin:
images.jpeg.jpg.8b6d4e5ab93a34b638b8eddde7fe5a05.jpg.c11083b0b5e7928d0377a38c92dc52b1.jpg
Next up for the Honest Men is Raith Rovers at Somerset. Hopefully the Fifers will take the Potato and/or Hopkin with them. Preferably both!

Uncanny…

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Bump

by my reckoning Peter Grant is spud chops, I'm sure most Pars fans would love to shower him with hot potato's (or large rocks) this weekend.

Shameful that the OP has let this thread go.

As best I can figure, that looks right…but with nine games that involved the potato over an “eight game week” period, not sure about the exact details. Results involving potato holder…

—-Ayr lose to Raith and keep it…

—- Ayr gift the potato to The Pars…and anyone familiar with that saga knows it can’t have left…

—-Pars muster only a draw with ICT and retain…

—-Pars muster a draw with Accies, ditto…

—- Pars muster a draw with Raith, ditto…

—- Pars lose to QoS, ditto

Edited by TxRover

• 2 weeks later...

It has been brought to my attention that I have been remiss in my duties and have not updated this thread since week 4. I obviously apologise unreservedly and throw myself onto the goodwill of the P&B faithful. My only excuse is that I got so carried away that Hopkin fucked off and we managed to win an actual league game that I totally forgot that the thread existed. I promise to do better.

As a catch up and summary of the first quarter:

Week 1 - Ayr (by virtue of a 2 nil defeat to the DKBs)

Week 2 - Ayr

Week 3 - Ayr 

Week 4 - Ayr 

Week 5 - Dunfermline (the post Hopkin bounce as Ayr escape the potato)

Week 6 - Dunfermline (draw with ICT)

Week 7 - Dunfermline (draw with Hamilton)

Week 8 - Dunfermline (loss to QoS)

Week 9 - Dunfermline (draw with Killie)

Ayr escaped the clutches of the Hot Potato thanks to the appointment of Jim Duffy. For the record had David Hopkin remained Ayr manager we would still have the potato in our possession.

It seems that Peter Grant likes his spuds as he's clinging to the hot potato for dear life. In spite of a valiant draw against Kilmarnock deep into stoppage time today the Pars retain their beloved potato. I should say despite being the better team for large parts of the game.

Next up for Dunfermline is away to the Jags next Saturday. Will Peter Grant continue his love affair with 10th spot and the hot potato? Or will Ian McCall and his high scoring Jags be bogged down by our favourite carbohydrate? Find out next week.

One final thought, what is Peter Grant constantly drawing in his pad? It should be obvious by now...

311208681 (1).jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Week 11 and it's as you were, with only one decisive result in the division (for Killie) meaning Dunfermline retain their cherished potato after a goaless draw with the Jags.

It was another plucky performance from Peter Grant and his team. As they again ran out with a draw and didn't concede against high scoring Thistle. It didn't stop the managerial doyen Grant complaining that the grass on Partick's pitch was longer than his charges were used to. Obviously Jobby McCall is keeping the grass deliberately long at Firhill.

Next up for the Pars is the Fife Derby against their noisy neighbours Roath Ravers. Who will be the Kings of Fife and can Dunfermline lose the starchy assassin that is the Hot Potato. Find out on Tuesday night.

I'm left wondering what Peter Grant has done with his pad? I couldn't find a picture of him with it at Thistle.

Final thought- Desperate Pars fans I wouldn't bother phoning Just Employment Law despite the advertising round the dugout suggesting they can help.

Screenshot_20211024-200750_Gallery.jpg

32 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

All we need to do to lose the potato is win a game? 

It’s ours, forever.

I was as depressed as you 6 weeks ago. Now look at me, a veritable ray of sunshine - all because Hopkin fucked off. Let's hope Grant does likewise.

22 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I was as depressed as you 6 weeks ago. Now look at me, a veritable ray of sunshine - all because Hopkin fucked off. Let's hope Grant does likewise.

From all Morton fans, let’s hope he doesn’t.       😒

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

12 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Our main sponsor @Toby takes that view too. November 6 could be interesting when Morton visit East End 🤞 

I've the feeling that game should be scripted by the Brothers Grimm.......       Won't be one for the purists, that's for sure.

Week 12

Well well well... who'd have thought it? Dunfermline manage to draw AGAIN... with their neighbours. After a bit of brilliance from Dom Thomas and then conceding with 2 mins to go. This Ayr fan is at least happy as you only closed 1 point on the honest men.

Someone really ought tell Peter Grant that draws are only worth 1 point and wins are worth 3 points! John McGlynn knows that... despite his questionable fashion sense (any excuse to post this hat combo)

Eo-2AplXEAULuoI.jpg_large.thumb.jpg.b15e19c7481531d76950a7e9bfddf09e.jpg

Next up for Dunfermline

A tough trip today away to the Red Lichties awaits Peter Grant today. Can Dunfermline actually win a league game? This poster thinks not today. We've already established that Arbroath have more than enough chips for their smokies so don't need any potatos (hot or otherwise). 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, TxRover said:

@Trogdor, planning on a massive update anytime soon?

I think your lot are the current custodians. 
I think it went like this:
Dunfermline passed it to ICT on 13 Nov who passed it to Queens on 19 Nov. Queens passed it to Ayr on 18 Dec and Ayr passed it to Raith on Boxing Day and they’ve retained it since then.