Accies vs. MorTEN

Let's just wind back to the thread title as if we didn't beat them in Hamilton the last time we played them anyway.

Good start from the relegation candidates in any case.

Hamilton v MorTen

Can't  see anything wrong with the title.

Prity accurate I would say, we only needed ten men to finish them off.

While some will be happy Blues is out don't forget his pass for the game winner and in general he has been decent in the two games so far this season.

I like Lyons let's hope he shows for the QOS game. Great result boys bust my draw forecast but what do I know about football.

6 hours ago, Mcgregor8822 said:

We have hit some low btw. 

Erm no - now that the council have stopped subsidising your club through the office space and the last few valuable players are on the last chopper out of Saigon, you're about to slither off a whole new precipice of fail. 

Unlucky.

image.png.5326af5ad9ce06482be610786fb70f39.png

4 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Morton showed their experience today:hitting on the break,defending resolutely and making fouls to break up the play.

Nice try, but we had a 17 year old regen playing at one wing back and someone with less than 20 senior games on the opposite flank as well. If you swapped 'experience' for (relative) 'competence' in each dugout then you'd be closer to the mark. It was a pretty straightforward gameplan, but executed by players as raw as anyone 'plucky Hamilton' are fielding off the back of relegation from the top flight. 

Yoi weren't mugged by a streetwise, veteran outfit: you're just not very good. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 hours ago, d_t_b said:

Two poor teams, Accies controlled the bulk of the game but did absolutely f**k all whereas Morton took pretty much their one and only chance. Fair play to them

I wouldn't say poor. Accies had the bulk of possession and were unlucky not to score. Combination of bad luck and good goalkeeping.  Credit where it's due to Gus. We had a game plan and it worked despite the efforts of an absolute arsehole of a ref.

10 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Easy, tiger… the signs are good, but, as you say, it’s very early in the season.

Let’s just hope we’re seeing the real player and he keeps it going; plenty of time for a contract offer.

When you look at some of the duds we have given contracts to he's definitely worth the gamble

Hamilton is the player McPake (after signing him for a rumoured £100,00)  thought he was getting. He's not just a goal-keeper he's an asset to the club.

He's only 27 about to hit his prime as a keeper. If we leave it late to tie him down it's only our selves to blame when we could maybe make some money if he leaves at the end of the season.

10 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Right, as a generally negative fan, I do have to hold my hands up and say I have absolutely been made a colossal arse of so far by Hamilton, who has been genuinely flawless after I panned the signing. He has been terrific and you can legitimately argue that three of the four points we have after two games are down to his saves.

However, putting him on a pedestal beside Roy Baines after five games might be a wee bit much.

Yip, I get it's an early call from me. But I believe he's a class act already.

Hamilton, Lithgow and Ugwu will make the difference this season 

Our fans should know better than to use a thread title like this one has.

Calm down, it's a bit of friendly banter that I'd expect from other clubs if the roles were reversed. Plus it was evident from my actual post that I think we're a poor, even if I did fancy us to get a win yesterday.

Plus the title was worth it to get some good puns back, I particularly enjoyed the one that used "10-2" instead of "tend to". Although others were awful, please try harder in the next fixture.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Yip, I get it's an early call from me. But I believe he's a class act already.

Hamilton, Lithgow and Ugwu will make the difference this season

Not getting carried away but it's plain to see the difference in Gus's approach to building a strong spine to the team.  Hamilton, Lithgow, McLean, Jacobs and Ugwu are proving to be a solid foundation and I like how it's been mentioned that these guys are having a positive influence on and off the pitch. 

^^^ agreed.  We obviously needed an experienced manager to come in in order to keep us in the division last season, and it should’ve been done sooner, but Il was a bit underwhelmed when Gus got the job and that feeling pretty much stayed with me till the end of the regular season. Looking back, though, it seems  fairly obvious that his pragmatic approach to that last quarter was the right one, given the unbalanced nature of the squad and the overall lack of much quality. Getting McGinn on loan helped just enough to drag us above automatic relegation, though it was far from pretty, and we managed to get through the playoffs relatively comfortably.

Now that he’s able to build his own squad and employ his own ideas I think we’re starting to see the benefits. Yes, recruitment has been worryingly slow, whatever the reasons, but the small squad have already turned in good performances against Kilmarnock, Dunfermline and Hamilton. Gus has even got Blues playing a much better game than we’d previously seen from him - that pass for yesterday’s goal was a cracker -  though the jury’s still out on the decision to keep Muirhead with us.

Assuming he manages to bring in the 3 or 4 players  he’s looking for, and assuming they are of the quality of Hamilton, Lithgow, Ugwu and (hopefully) Russell  I think we could be looking at the best season since Duffy’s second-last one faltered near the end.

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

When you look at some of the duds we have given contracts to he's definitely worth the gamble

Hamilton is the player McPake (after signing him for a rumoured £100,00)  thought he was getting. He's not just a goal-keeper he's an asset to the club.

He's only 27 about to hit his prime as a keeper. If we leave it late to tie him down it's only our selves to blame when we could maybe make some money if he leaves at the end of the season.

I’ve been impressed (and thought the reaction when we signed him was ridiculous in the first place)… but we only have a dozen  ‘senior’ players on the books, and the season is well underway.

Fixing that has to be prioritised before looking any further.

42 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

All this chat for someone who wasn't even the best player called Hamilton on the park.

a) there's no doubt that our Hamilton had more influence on the result than yours, and 

b) why would we be giving a toss about yours anyway? You want to talk about him, fill your boots: doesn't look like anyone else does. 

15 hours ago, Colkitto said:

If Hamilton keeps this form up throughout the season then teams in leagues above us will come sniffing around when his contract is up.

McAdams  did reasonably well for us last season but Hamilton in experience and technical ability is light-years ahead of him.

He's the best keeper we have had at Cappielow in decades. I feel quite confident even this early in the season to say that.

Don't wait around, get him tied up on a 2 year deal now!

ffs

16 hours ago, Colkitto said:

If Hamilton keeps this form up throughout the season then teams in leagues above us will come sniffing around when his contract is up.

McAdams  did reasonably well for us last season but Hamilton in experience and technical ability is light-years ahead of him.

He's the best keeper we have had at Cappielow in decades. I feel quite confident even this early in the season to say that.

Don't wait around, get him tied up on a 2 year deal now!

He’s played two games and conceded twice in one of them.