Livingston vs Aberdeen

It's the fact they are able to play a specific way catered to the pitch. 

The amount of balls they flip in the air without a second thought, knowing it'll hold up on the pitch, when on a grass one it would probably go out. They get to train on it all the time. 

The tempo of the game is frantic because Livingston don't keep the ball on the ground, that's fine if that's how they want to play the game, my issue with it, is because they know how to play the pitch. No point kidding on they don't. 

Good artificial surfaces shouldn't make too much of a difference, but holy f**k the one at Almondvale is like a bowling green. 
Don't Aberdeen, like the rest of the teams in the SPFL train on an artifical surface all week?

What's the difference to training on an artifical surface all week and then playing an hour and a half on an artifical surface in a game?

Genuinely excited for an answer to that one.

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

It's the fact they are able to play a specific way catered to the pitch. 

The amount of balls they flip in the air without a second thought, knowing it'll hold up on the pitch, when on a grass one it would probably go out. They get to train on it all the time. 

The tempo of the game is frantic because Livingston don't keep the ball on the ground, that's fine if that's how they want to play the game, my issue with it, is because they know how to play the pitch. No point kidding on they don't. 

Good artificial surfaces shouldn't make too much of a difference, but holy f**k the one at Almondvale is like a bowling green. 

Every team has the advantage of being better acclimatised to their home pitch but, aye, this is probably heightened slightly further when its artificial turf in a majority-grass league. You do have champions league regulars Spartak Moscow and Young Boys who each have the only artificial turf pitch in their domestic league, so there is much higher profile precedent to this, it's worth consideding.

Livi's tactical blueprint was formed by David Hopkin when he was manager before the artificial turf and it hasn't really changed since then. Smallest budget in league = less talented, cheaper players being signed = more reactive playing strategy as players don't have quality to impose a passing game on opponents. It was the same with Hamilton. I don't think it's the pitches.

12 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Don't Aberdeen, like the rest of the teams in the SPFL train on an artifical surface all week?

What's the difference to training on an artifical surface all week and then playing an hour and a half on an artifical surface in a game?

It's kind of like banging a bird, you can become pretty decent at ploughing that one. 

But that doesn't mean the next bird you plough will be the same and you won't bust a nut in 5 minutes.

9 minutes ago, red23 said:

It's kind of like banging a bird, you can become pretty decent at ploughing that one. 

But that doesn't mean the next bird you plough will be the same and you won't bust a nut in 5 minutes.

Swiss Tony Macaroni. Playing on a shit artificial pitch is much like making love to a beautiful woman?

18 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

I think we've got grass and artificial training pitches at Kingsford, so I imagine the training prior to a match at Livi (or previously Killie or Accies) will be tailored to that.  Then probably train more on artificial pitches in winter for obvious reasons.  But aye your general point is valid IMHO.

I stuck up for Livi last season when some Dons fans were losing their shit over games getting postponed and I'm sticking with that position.  If the pitch is deemed to be acceptable by the league or whoever decides these things then so be it.  No point continually greeting about it.  

Aberdeen’s record on artificial surfaces is really good… 

Unbeaten in their last 23 games on an artificial surface. Their last defeat on ‘plastic’ came on 28th February 2017 at Hamilton’s New Douglas Park. (17 Wins & 6 Draws)

Maybe they should consider laying it at Pittodrie. 

Returning to football for the moment; what's happened to Jet, When he left us he was still a bit on the heavy side but was really starting to improve his fitness, sprinting up and down the pitch for almost 80 minutes. 

Today he looked like he's already played 80 minutes and yet he looked to have lost some weight and seemed fitter in the warm up.

1 minute ago, Durnford said:

Returning to football for the moment; what's happened to Jet, When he left us he was still a bit on the heavy side but was really starting to improve his fitness, sprinting up and down the pitch for almost 80 minutes. 

Today he looked like he's already played 80 minutes and yet he looked to have lost some weight and seemed fitter in the warm up.

Playing on grass does that mate .

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Fair enough then, I hadn't a clue tbf. I'm not sour about it at all, we didn't deserve to win the game and barely deserved to scrape a draw but it'll be interesting to see how things are handled as it's the first instance since fans are back where it's happened on this scale so a bit of a marker for if it's allowed going forward

Eh? Draw would’ve been a fair result given the chances we created in the first half and Aberdeen’s general dominance of the ball in the second, bit of a stretch to say we barely deserved to scrape a draw. 

If Scott Pittman could finish as well as he does mostly everything else on the pitch we’d have been home and hosed by half time. 

As for the pitch chat:

Good grass pitch > good artificial pitch > pish grass pitch > pish artificial pitch. Thank you. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

I thought common consensus was the opposite to that? Artificial surfaces better suit more technical players with a good touch. Less slide tackles are attempted which reduces "scrapiness", especially in midfield. Aberdeen were able to play a possession-heavy style today unhindered by the pitch. Artificial turf definitely reduces the tempo of play but that actually encourages possession football, I'd argue. 

For what it's worth, Aberdeen rarely lose on an artificial pitch (I don't include Hamilton's weird crazy golf concrete carpet thing as even 'artificial').

That's doesn't mean that they're not abominations, or rancidly shite. Which they are. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
26 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Aberdeen’s record on artificial surfaces is really good… 

Unbeaten in their last 23 games on an artificial surface. Their last defeat on ‘plastic’ came on 28th February 2017 at Hamilton’s New Douglas Park. (17 Wins & 6 Draws)

Maybe they should consider laying it at Pittodrie. 

Thanks to Andy for confirming my post. I'd say that we have a better record on artificial turf than any other team in Scotland. 

It can still go and kiss my hairy nutsack though. 

No, they train on what suits. Sometimes artificial sometimes not.
The difference at Almondvale is the fact its a fucking crap artificial pitch. Extremely poor quality, in no way conducive to good football.
Can't argue it.
And your formed this opinion from what data?

9 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I'm not talking about Aberdeen winning, losing, whatever. I'm talking about punters paying £20, £30 or whatever it is (Livi fans included) to watch a terrible product on a terrible pitch that won't allow for good football. It's embarrassing, makes the football frustratingly crap, and is a stain on the league.

That's my point. It's not a surface befitting of any top league in any country. 

I’m not getting into a debate about artificial surfaces, it’s been done to death. Merely pointing out a stat about Aberdeen being good on said surfaces. 
Enjoy the rest of your evening. 

18 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Can’t believe we are being called pr1cks by the Livi fans, when they have the pr1cks p***k as their manager.

Relegation 🤞

Hi G-MAN, i like your capital letters and your emojis. I think you are brave and not afraid to be who you want to be.