Rank the Goalkeepers

23 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

United, Motherwell, StMirren, Hearts fans will all say the same. Wouldn't swap their keeper for most others in the league.

That being said Alnwick has been absolute class for us. Can see him signing for someone like Aberdeen next season and being their no1 for the next 5 years.

Not unless Joe Lewis requests a move. He's a high earner and we have him until 2024.

Darren Randolph has been our best keeper in modern times, followed closely by John Ruddy.

Kelly has already overtaken Ruddy for me, and unless he dips over the course of this season he'll move above Randolph. He's genuinely brilliant for the most part...and I think he's not thought of as highly because he's small for a keeper.

I'd have Joe Lewis wayyyyy down the list, but then I think even Aberdeen fans would acknowledge that we have a very different view of Joe Lewis than anyone else. Loves a blunder against us.

Joe Hart is some outfield player as well btw, and would get a game for most teams in this league.

4 hours ago, Al B said:

I'd have Joe Lewis wayyyyy down the list, but then I think even Aberdeen fans would acknowledge that we have a very different view of Joe Lewis than anyone else. Loves a blunder against us.

Aye. He had that howler in Europe not long after signing but the first domestic blunder I remember him making was in a game against you. We hammered you but he came for a free kick he had no chance of claiming and left an empty net.

7 hours ago, Al B said:

Darren Randolph has been our best keeper in modern times, followed closely by John Ruddy.

Kelly has already overtaken Ruddy for me, and unless he dips over the course of this season he'll move above Randolph. He's genuinely brilliant for the most part...and I think he's not thought of as highly because he's small for a keeper.

Joe Hart is some outfield player as well btw, and would get a game for most teams in this league.

I remember Liam Kelly chucking one into his net against Motherwell. Did the same against East Fife the first time he was on loan to us in League One, improved immensely when he came back to us the 2nd time after we got promoted to the Premiership though, hope he gets the recognition he deserves at Motherwell and a shot in goals for Scotland. 

Has anyone factored in the defence in front of these keepers, while we all accept that McGregor is a good keeper, he can spend a good percentage of the game doing very little due to the players in front of them. Keepers like Legzdins, for example, you'd expect to be more active.

16 hours ago, Al B said:

I think McGregor, Siegriest and Kelly are the top three in the league and I thought it was ridiculous Scotland took a (nearly)  34 year old reserve keeper to the Euros instead of Kelly.

That said I don't think he's anywhere near displacing Randolph.  Randolph hardly made an error in 3 seasons.  We've actually had good goalkeepers down the years for the most part but Randolph was a class a part. 

On 03/08/2021 at 12:34, oneteaminglasgow said:

I realise that the chats moved on, but just wanted to take the opportunity to mention how much I love Tam Cerny. The greatest practitioner of general shitehousery that has ever lived.

Once got a penalty for Motherwell (I’m pretty certain) overturned just by shouting at the referee until he changed his mind. Absolutely iconic. 

Absolutely loved to hate Cerny - had a couple of brilliant games against us for both Thistle and Accies, and acted like an complete walloper throughout. You can tell he loves to get booed.

Edited by For Your Pies Only

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think McGregor, Siegriest and Kelly are the top three in the league and I thought it was ridiculous Scotland took a (nearly)  34 year old reserve keeper to the Euros instead of Kelly.

That said I don't think he's anywhere near displacing Randolph.  Randolph hardly made an error in 3 seasons.  We've actually had good goalkeepers down the years for the most part but Randolph was a class a part. 

2 and a half years in to his stint with us Randolph dropped a ball and someone knocked it in.  Disbelieving stares round the ground.

Probably nestles comfortably in at 6th which sounds bad, but I'm not sure he's got enough left in him to edge any of those 5. I think a lot of his performances last year were masked by playing against the likes of Arbroath and Queen of the South whilst the others have been performing strongly at the highest level against the top teams in the country. Every chance that if this was done again this time next year that he could be anywhere in that top 5 but I'm not sure a campaign in the Championship is enough to dislodge any of the above.
Do you feel silly yet?

• 2 weeks later...